News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 HANDSET SERVICE TIPS

Started by bingster, September 09, 2008, 04:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metdial

As Maxwell Smart would say, "The old handset wrapped in a towel and held next to the wood stove without cooking your hands to remove the frozen thermoplastic cap trick."

I just tried that today with two G1 handsets that have stuck transmitter caps.  It worked like a charm with the first one.  The stove was rip roarin' hot, so I didn't dare do it for more than 15 seconds at a time.  Eventually, it occured to me that some gloves might make the process a little less uncomfortable.   :)

I tried like heck for about 30 mins. on and off with the second one, but couldn't get it to budge.  I even sprayed some WD-40 in there to try to loosen things up, -no dice.
I plan on getting one of those strap wrenches that everyone is raving about, but I don't know which one to get.  Can anyone suggest a specific brand or type that's available on Ebay or at the Home Depot?

Thanks,
Tom

HobieSport

I stuck my handset in the freezer for about fifteen minutes.  It worked great but now my girlfriend has given up on me and and I have to move to Southern Sicily.
I recommend a strap wrench.

Dennis Markham

I have to stick with my hair dryer method.  ESPECIALLY with plastic caps on a Bakelite handset.  Two minutes with the hair dryer and it will come off.  I know you said you don't have one.  I keep one under my work bench just for removing caps.  I don't have enough hair to dry! :)

Rochrest

I need to replace the cord on my WE E1 handset but have been unable to unscrew the bottom portion of the transmitter cup from the body of the unit.  I have removed the transmitter cap and transmitter but the next section is just too tight to remove.  I have successfully removed it on several other E1 handsets but this one won't budge!  Any suggestions?

What are the two small holes for on the body of the E1 on each side of the cup?

Thanks,
Bill at Rochrest

Dan/Panther

There is a thread,  I can't find it that tells how to remove stubborn handset parts.

I'll keep looking, maybe someone else can find it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

D/P:

I think Dennis has successfully used a strap wrench to remove those stubborn caps.
Jorge

Greg G.

Quote from: Rochrest on June 26, 2010, 02:05:21 PM
I need to replace the cord on my WE E1 handset but have been unable to unscrew the bottom portion of the transmitter cup from the body of the unit.  I have removed the transmitter cap and transmitter but the next section is just too tight to remove.  I have successfully removed it on several other E1 handsets but this one won't budge!  Any suggestions?

What are the two small holes for on the body of the E1 on each side of the cup?

Thanks,
Bill at Rochrest

The two holes are for a special tool designed for E1 handsets.  You can find them on Oldphoneworks, but they are expensive.  If it's wedged in really tight, the tool won't help, and they have a tendency to slip and gouge the threads.  I have an E1 like that, not even the tool worked on it.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/western-electric-e1-handset-tool-kit.html

Update based on experience:  These things are OLD, and not unusual to find one that was not kept in good environments and consequently may be beyond saving:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8710.msg97013#msg97013
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

I did finally have success with a strap wrench that I bought at Ace Hardware.  It worked great after I spent a lot of time grunting and groaning trying to use a rubber "cloth", like for opening jars.  With the strap wrench I had it off in seconds.

This is the one I bought:

http://tinyurl.com/28sgwly

I'm sure they have them at other hardware stores, Home Depot, etc.

Rochrest

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I will try my trusty oil filter strap wrench first and if that doesn't work, I wil ask around for the tool you suggest.  I should have thought of it myself.

Bill at Rochrest

Come in Nighthawk

Did U try heating it up some with the wife's hairdryer?  You'll want to wear gloves to protect your hands from minor scorching while unscrewing it 'cause U want to grasp the cup and twist immediately upon removing the heat. 

I think the bakelite/plastic will expand sooner then the aluminum.  It should, as it has a lower melting point.

I've successfully loosened several obstinate handset cups n' stuff this way.  Just don't "boil" it!!!  Try about 20-30 seconds.  That was all I needed.  U might need to apply the heat more than once is all.  I think I had to hit one of my handset cups twice before it "gave."

Duane

mariepr

FWIW, it's helpful to keep 2 strap wrenches on hand.  I've had E1 transmitter assemblies come off but I still had to separate the bakelite spitcup from the metal element holder.  For really bad cases, you can try working in Liquid Wrench PROVIDED it's cleaned up right after you get everything apart.  (I found out the hard way that this stuff leaves a dull gray residue on metal.)

Strap wrenches are also handy for taking apart stuck candlestick receivers.  That cap has, after all, been stuck on for about 80 years. 

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Rochrest on June 26, 2010, 09:46:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  I will try my trusty oil filter strap wrench first and if that doesn't work, I wil ask around for the tool you suggest.  I should have thought of it myself.

Bill at Rochrest

Bill;
The caps are very fragile, a filter wrench will not have enough give and may shatter the caps or at least gouge them.
I think maybe you said Oil Filter wrench with tongue in cheek ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Bill

I need to check out the receiver capsule in an E1 handset. With the help of a hairdryer and my trusty strap wrench, I got to the point shown in the picture. But I still don't have the capsule in hand. Where is it? I'm just checking - do I need to go one more layer, and unscrew the silver-metal part from the black cap - the part propped up on the rubber grommets? (It's like standing an egg on end!)

The last thing I want to do is break something by disassembling something that isn't supposed to disassemble.

And I'll take the opportunity to ask this. Once I get the capsule out, is there any way to "check it out"? I'm not sure that I will have an exact replacement to use as a substitute. The problem I'm experiencing is stupendously low volume in the earpiece.

Thanks

Bill

LarryInMichigan

That is the most difficult part of an E1.  More hair dryer/strap wrench work is about all that I can suggest, but you might try spraying something like WD40 into the threads and let it sit for a while first.  There was a mention here recently about a product called Liquid Wrench.  That might be good at loosening bond between the aluminum and the bakelite.

Have fun!

Larry

bingster

Bill, you can see the disassembled receiver element here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.15

Keep in mind there's no capsule, as was we know them from later phones.  It is a magnetic receiver/diaphragm setup like was used in candlesticks, but miniaturized.  You may need a pair of strap wrenches at this point, so you can twist each part in opposite directions at once.

As for the low volume, if you're using a subset, and you're sure the wiring is correct, it may be the case that a previous owner thought the main telephone was "plug and play," and had it wired directly to the line without a subset in between.  Whenever that happens, the receiver element is weakened, sometimes to such a degree that it will produce no sound at all.
= DARRIN =