and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Local Exchange, and what's yours?

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 16, 2013, 10:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

thank you all but I don't know my local exchange name sorry :D

jsowers

Here it's REgent 1 and has been since the 1950s. I don't have a phone from this area with an old number card. The phone company had pretty tight control over the phones and few ever "got away." I'm also not sure many were bought when the opportunity arose. Also many of the phone numbers in my area changed in the mid-1960s (only the last four digits), so cards may all have been changed at that time and they were all numbers by then. But many businesses carried on the RE1 in their ads into the 1970s.

In nearby Lexington it's CHestnut. North of me in Winston-Salem it's PArk, SOuth and STate. West of us in Salisbury is MElrose. My oldest aunt still has the same phone number she had in the 1950s and my youngest aunt still remembers her phone number as ME3 and not 633.
Jonathan

old_stuff_hound

TEmple (83). I remember back in the late 1980s I was working a retail job here in town and asked an older gentleman for his phone number for a special order. He replied "TEmple-4 blah blah blah". I don't recall the number now and at the time had no idea what he was talking about but wrote it down. He left and the guy in line behind him said, "Wow, TEmple? Haven't heard it called that in ages." He then explained to me what the old guy meant. Now, here I am, years later, and *I* have a TEmple number....

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: old_stuff_hound on November 17, 2013, 09:50:19 PM
TEmple (83). I remember back in the late 1980s I was working a retail job here in town and asked an older gentleman for his phone number for a special order. He replied "TEmple-4 blah blah blah". I don't recall the number now and at the time had no idea what he was talking about but wrote it down. He left and the guy in line behind him said, "Wow, TEmple? Haven't heard it called that in ages." He then explained to me what the old guy meant. Now, here I am, years later, and *I* have a TEmple number....

Heh, very cool story. I guess people never forget their first number, or before it was changed. OR its like the saying, "if it aint broke, don't fix it." Meaning, if its no different, why try to change.

Ben

Dan/Panther

Growing up, mine was 539-2725.
The prefix was Lehigh LE-9-2725. That goes back to 1957.
It was changed in the 80's to 636-8786, I don't have clue what that stood for ?
MD, ME, MF, ND, NE, NF, OD, OE, OF.  ???

Just a little side note, I purchased a 5302, with a West Point Dial Card, the last 4 numbers were 2527 Not a biggy, just strange..

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

dsk

I grew up with a number connected to ÅSEN 1 all Oslo numbers (6 digits) starting on 21 was connected here.
I believe this was an old A7 exchange.

Later we were forced to Åsen2 and a 15 number :-[

Today living in Hakadal, we are connected to Hakadal exchange. A sub exchange under Nittedal.
Nittedal used to have the 77 series in the Oslo area (6 digits) (Manual until 1968)

Now we have 8 digits, and 670 series are to Nittedal, but the portability makes this inconsequent, because you may keep your number when you move around in the entire country.

dsk

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Contempra

je ne comprends toujours pas l'astuce !............:(

LM Ericsson

Regards,
-Grayson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 18, 2013, 12:53:36 PM
It was changed in the 80's to 636-8786, I don't have clue what that stood for ?
MD, ME, MF, ND, NE, NF, OD, OE, OF.  ???
In the 1960's the Lake Oswego suburb of Portland, OR had NEptune 6 and NEptune 8 (636,638) numbers.
-Bill G

Greg G.

Growing up in the northern burbs of Seattle it was PRospect.  I don't know what the exchange name was in our current location, this old house was built in 1914.  It's just outside the Seattle city border and was in unincorporated King County until not too long ago when it was annexed into Lake Forest Park, WA.

Our pots line # is a custom number I requested because it was on one of my vintage phones, the first digits are 324, but I don't know what that exchange was, I couldn't find it in the TENproject Database. The original dial card just lists the number.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Matilo Telephones

Mine used to be 322. It was one of the city's exchanges. This one was for the north west. North east was 124. City centre was 512. Don't know all the exchanges.

But I moved a couple of times within our city. Now I live in the south south western part. But because of the modern system I was able to keep my telephonenumber. Luckily, because it is a very beautiful and easy number.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

david@london

..........this is a rare survivor - an old shop front at  Victor's hairdressers in the VALentine exchange area in north east london.

twocvbloke

persido

I grew up in Chelsea Massachusetts the exchange there was TUrner 9 (889), TUrner 4 (884).
I now live in North Andover located on the North Shore area of Massachusetts, the exchange was Murdock (68).