"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for old exchange name for Phoenix exchange 979 in AZ area code 602

Started by RotoTech99, March 07, 2019, 08:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

Hello,  I have a phone from Phoenix exchange 979 in area code 602 in Arizona that I would like to know what the old two letter exchange name would be,  please.

I'm not certain if the prefix was different prior to the change over to 7 digit phone numbers.

If someone can please help me find out,  I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
RotoTech99

jsowers

Quote from: RotoTech99 on March 07, 2019, 08:28:52 PM
Dear Forum:

Hello,  I have a phone from Phoenix exchange 979 in area code 602 in Arizona that I would like to know what the old two letter exchange name would be,  please.

I'm not certain if the prefix was different prior to the change over to 7 digit phone numbers.

If someone can please help me find out,  I would appreciate it.

Thank you,
RotoTech99
There are no words that fit those for 97 (wxy) (prs) so there never were exchange names for 97x numbers. Well, maybe Ypsilanti, MI, but that would be confusing in Arizona. The recommended exchange name list says that in 1955 that 97x was reserved for radio telephone numbers. So the 979 exchange was used after exchange names were eliminated.

There's a site to look these up, the Exchange Name Project. You can search the database and then choose Phoenix as the city and there are pages 1-4 listing them in no particular order. Be patient--the site is slow. So you can choose another one if you want one from Phoenix. Link is below...

http://www.ourwebhome.com/TENP/TENproject.html
Jonathan

RotoTech99

Dear Jsowers:

Thank you,  I didn't know the prefix I mentioned was assigned to radio telephone service before.

I did check the site you mentioned,  and saw the exchanges listed.

RotoTech99

SUnset2

There are lots of words that start with WR.  Ma Bell didn't like to use silent letters, but there's nothing stopping you from making up something for your number card.  Maybe WRenchhead 9- or WRithing 9- or even WRongnumber 9-.  Thumb through your dictionary and see if anything looks appropriate.

markosjal

WRigley
WRight
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish