News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another ebay failure

Started by guitar1580, January 18, 2020, 05:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

Here is the green AE80 that we were talking about yesterday.  Well packed and not cracked. 

It appears to be stamped 69.  Nothing extraordinary, but a pretty decent example.  It is definitely faded and has some h/s cord discoloration, but all seems to function well.  Later on I may try the chemical method to refresh the color, but that will be IF and when I get proficient at it.

guitar1580

So, back to the original key set return, to update.  I've had mostly great luck with ebay, but this seller sure turned into a jerk.  Upset with ME because HIS packing job failed – twice.

So first he says, return the beige one, then, return both.  I said send labels for both and I'll return both.  He sent a label for one, and the packing list said "beige".  I felt that if I returned both in the same box with no paper trail, he would say the green one wasn't there and still try to stiff me on the refund.  So I called ebay, and had them look at our messages & photos, and the rep. said, yes, it's for one, and to return the beige one.

At every step, he drags it out until the last day.  So the beige one was delivered to him a few days ago.  Now this evening I see that he filed a case saying I did not return the same phone that he sold me, which is a lie, and once again, I took photos of the broken mess as I packed it, with his broken plastic pieces in a baggie taped to the phone, so he couldn't say it got broken on the way back.

So the email said the return is cancelled, and I have to wait a couple more days for ebay to step in, so I phoned again.  I simply stated the facts, and directed the rep to our messages & photos, and explained how the seller is blaming everyone except himself for his very poor packing.  The rep said it is the seller's responsibility to pack so it arrives unbroken, and issued my refund right then, and said the case is closed.  Thank you very much.

So to return the favor for jerking me around since Jan. 5, I left a negative feedback hit, which is something I very rarely ever do.  I've actually even left sellers full positive feedback even when the transaction was less than favorable or slow to ship because I know how badly it can affect a seller, and I'm not an overly vindictive person, but in this case it was well deserved.

A question I have:  When ebay steps in and does the refund, do they put it back onto the seller to make him reimburse?  I would think so, but I've never been an ebay seller, so I don't know the process.

Josh

Jack Ryan

As I said earlier:

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 18, 2020, 06:51:03 PM
Just file a complaint with eBay. It can see the messages already including the photos. eBay will simply return your money without requiring you to return the broken parts.

There is no need to go through an extended and fruitless dialog with a rouge.

eBay will debit the seller's account for the amount of the refund. I don't know what happens further than that.

Regards
Jack

guitar1580

Quote from: Jack Ryan on January 31, 2020, 04:14:54 AM
As I said earlier:

There is no need to go through an extended and fruitless dialog with a rouge.

eBay will debit the seller's account for the amount of the refund. I don't know what happens further than that.

Regards
Jack

Well that's almost how it worked out, but not quite.  I did stop communicating with the seller after the initial dispute.  The calls to ebay proved very helpful, but they did instruct me to return the item (with his prepaid label of course).  Since the seller contested every action, and waited until the last minute to react, things kept getting delayed for 48 hours.  I knew he was in the wrong, so I just followed the procedures and waited it out.

In 16 yrs of ebay purchasing, and over 500 transactions, it's the first time I had to go that deep in the weeds and contact ebay.  I didn't even call them, I just requested the call back, and both times I got the call within 30 seconds, and the reps were very helpful.

I made sure to stay one step ahead and provide the correct wording and photos in the initial message exchange.  Slam, dunk.