News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Fan

Started by Doug Rose, July 22, 2021, 08:43:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

We found this at Brimfield. I have no room in the Phone Room and Janet says we have no room in the house for it.

It is a great piece of history and I am at a crossroads on what to do.

It is 17" tall and the Cage is 13" 9" front to back. Not childproof and we have 8 little ones, so it can not be plugged in.

WE Home Fans are a tough find and it is HEAVY!! ...............Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That is a very impressive fan.  It is from somewhere between 1910 and 1926.  It should not be run before a good cleaning and oiling,  Finding a local buyer for it would not likely be difficult.  You might want to visit the AFCA forum (www.afcaforum.com) for information and to list it for sale.

Larry

FABphones

I can see the appeal in their design but dislike them intensely. Too many stories of hospital visits and damaged fingers. Good call not to have it in use.

Best thing to do with those fans is cut the mains cords and make them display only.

Edit: I see you already have it up on your Craigslist page, a gentle reminder of the dangers of these would be a good thing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I have around a dozen restored antique/vintage fans in my house, and I did injure a finger on one once.  When a friend asked me how people used such fans in the old days, I told him that fingers were much stronger back then.  At any rate, a fan like that one is considered quite collectable, and some collector will be willing to pay a decent price for it.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on July 22, 2021, 09:04:51 AM
I can see the appeal in their design but dislike them intensely. Too many stories of hospital visits and damaged fingers. Good call not to have it in use.

Best thing to do with those fans is cut the mains cords and make them display only.

Edit: I see you already have it up on your Craigslist page, a gentle reminder of the dangers of these would be a good thing.
Disclaimer is already there    "This is NOT a childproof Fan" ...Doug

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/atq/d/framingham-working-western-electric/7354578919.html
( dead link 12-13-21 )
Kidphone

Doug Rose

::)
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 22, 2021, 09:16:57 AM
I have around a dozen restored antique/vintage fans in my house, and I did injure a finger on one once.  When a friend asked me how people used such fans in the old days, I told him that fingers were much stronger back then.  At any rate, a fan like that one is considered quite collectable, and some collector will be willing to pay a decent proce for it.

Larry
thanks Larry....we will see if it was worth lugging it around Brimfield in the heat.. :o ..Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

i think the Western Electric fans are rebranded Robbins & Myers fans.   At one there used to be a mesh guard available to put on the cage.
Howard

FABphones

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 22, 2021, 10:18:43 AM
thanks Larry....we will see if it was worth lugging it around Brimfield in the heat.. :o ..Doug

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 22, 2021, 10:17:28 AM
Disclaimer is already there...

Glad a warning re the dangers of these things has been added. I should think a disclaimer is a good idea.

Not sure I understand why an 'eyes lifted to the heavens' emoji though.

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on July 22, 2021, 09:16:57 AM
...I did injure a finger on one once.  When a friend asked me how people used such fans in the old days, I told him that fingers were much stronger back then....

Larry

Easy to do unfortunately. Hope it didn't catch you too badly.

Doug Rose

Quote from: FABphones on July 22, 2021, 12:24:01 PM
Glad a warning re the dangers of these things has been added. I should think a disclaimer is a good idea.

Not sure I understand why an 'eyes lifted to the heavens' emoji though.

mistake, it was above my answer to Larry...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: HowardPgh on July 22, 2021, 11:44:55 AM
i think the Western Electric fans are rebranded Robbins & Myers fans.   At one there used to be a mesh guard available to put on the cage.

Around 1926, Western Electric set up a company for selling appliances called "Graybar" which was concatenation of the names of the WE founders: Gray and Barton.

I have a Graybar fan which is really a rebranded GE.

Larry

Doug Rose

I have put the WE Fan in the Phone Room where it's predecessor took up space. It is such a wonderful Fan. ...Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

Have up high when it is plugged in.  That way, your little ones can't reach it.