Telephone Switching > Exchange Names, Area Codes etc

Area codes

<< < (3/4) > >>

rp2813:
Interesting dialing issue between 480 and 602.  Maybe this is the dreaded "overlay" situation where two "area" codes are being used within the same boundary?  I've not heard of the situation where dialing "1" before the remaining 10 digits isn't required.  That's very confusing and sloppy behavior on the part of the telco.  Just another reason I'm against overlays if this is the result. 

Locally, we were the last major metropolitan area that didn't have to dial "1" first.  A few years ago that changed.  I don't think there is any way to get around dialing "1" anymore with the current North American Dialing Plan that dates back to 1947.  Now that we have area codes that don't have a "0" or "1" as the middle digit, dialing "1" up front is necessary for the switching equipment to know the subscriber is calling outside of their own area code.  But that still doesn't explain the 480/602 situation.  That is just strange.

Dan/Panther:
Our area code used to be 909, they split it into two areas now my area code is 951,  I can call into the 909 area without first dialing 1.
I had the same situation in Orange County before I moved here. My area code was 714, then they split it into 949, I could call 714, w/o 1.
D/P

Bill:

--- Quote from: rp2813 on January 06, 2009, 01:27:59 PM ---Interesting dialing issue between 480 and 602.  Maybe this is the dreaded "overlay" situation where two "area" codes are being used within the same boundary?  I've not heard of the situation where dialing "1" before the remaining 10 digits isn't required.  That's very confusing and sloppy behavior on the part of the telco.  Just another reason I'm against overlays if this is the result...
--- End quote ---
It is quite possible that 480 is an overlay broken out of the old 602 area code. And I really don't have a problem with that - I understand the need to introduce new area codes as areas like Phoenix (602) grow so big.

--- Quote ---Now that we have area codes that don't have a "0" or "1" as the middle digit, dialing "1" up front is necessary for the switching equipment to know the subscriber is calling outside of their own area code.
--- End quote ---
But that is exactly my point. There really isn't a need to tell the switching equipment anything. The switching equipment already knows what I am doing, as evidenced by the "Not necessary to dial a 1" message that it plays to me.

You're right - it seems to be a very sloppy way to handle it.

Bill

Konrad:
My AT&T iPhone never needs a 1 or 0.  Vonge VOIP is the same way.  Verizon land line and Comcast digital require the 1.  I call pure laziness.

andre_janew:
Cell phones don't require a 1 or 0 for long distance calls.  VoiP calls don't require a 1 or 0 either.  However, traditional land lines require a 1 or 0 for long distance calls. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version