Telephone Switching > General Switching Discussions

Any Switchers out There? Xbar, SxS

<< < (2/17) > >>

AE_Collector:
If it wasn't such an ordeal to move almost every sort of electro mechanical telephone switch I think there WOULD be a lot more of them in basements and garages.

I have some 1A key equipment as well as some AE 10A1 and 10A2 (AE's equivilent to WECo 1A1 and 1A2). I recently rescued an Ericsson 636 PAX system (30 line cross bar Intercom) and it was pretty much all that I could handle on my own.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=15797.0

Terry

Dave F:
Eric,

Very, VERY cool!!!

Dave

Jim Stettler:
Eric,
I am not a switcher, However, I am interested in switches and switchboards. I do have own some switch stuff.

Last May  I asked Fred Haynes about the feasability of building me a demo step switch. I thought it sounded like a neat toy.

Fred decided it sounded like a fun project.
He hopes to have it compleated for the KS show this Spring.

I also have a step switch LAmp. I had it displayed at the Lyon's NE show.
Jim

rp2813:
Eric, that is some great stuff.

I would really like to see a video when you get time to post one.

I never worked in the frames but had to know basic theory for some of the positions I held with Pacific Bell/SBC/AT&T.  I had hoped to get inside the last crossbar CO before it was upgraded to 5E, but never managed to.   I understand that in a big CO, the crossbars could create quite a racket, which would have been fun to hear.

Does anybody know the type of switch that appears in "Dial M for Murder?"

AE_Collector:
Crossbar and Strowger offices could both be very noisy. We didn't use very much crossbar here in British Columbia but we did have 4A crossbar toll offices. I recall the one I worked at in 1977 being very noisy during weekday business hours. There always seemed to be circuits in the 4A being monitored over speakers playing the MF sounds of calls being forwarded towards their final destination.

I was working in a SxS office of around 30 thousand lines when a large cable was ripped down by a car accident. Due to the way CO's are graded and the fact that no more than 10% of the subscribers could initiate a call which would use all available line finders, the resulting shorts as the cable was ripped out caused virtually every linefinder in the office to attempt to find the lines that were calling for service. This caused a very noticible roar to go through the office on an already busy day.

I certainly do miss the sound of an office processing calls.

I don't know about "Dial M for Murder" but "Three Days of the Condor" has a scene in a working Crossbar Office. I think we discussed it on the forum previously.

Terry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version