News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Portable Desk Telephone

Started by FABphones, October 20, 2020, 05:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

The latest candlestick to enter the collection. Catalogue listed as a 'Kellogg Portable Desk Telephone'. This must be the heaviest stick I have ever lifted.

It has a few dings to base, the green silk cord needs replacing, as does the green baize to baseplate, but overall I am really pleased with this, a firm favourite.

Questions:

Is this phone known by any other name/more specific code (besides it's rather long catalogue name)?
How old is it?
Is this a common model?

Photos below 'out of the box'.
Any info appreciated.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Very nice, that will look good displayed in your collection.

FABphones

Following on re the identification of the receiver, I can now confirm it is indeed a Solid Receiver (OST).

Couple more questions if anyone can help:

What is the date range of these? Pat. date appears to be 1901.
According to the catalogue illustration, this is not the original receiver - it unusual to find these on Kellogg phones (eg after leaving a refurb house)?
Are these receivers hard to find?

Again, any and all info appreciated.

FABphones

Quote from: Duffy on October 20, 2020, 05:28:37 PM
Very nice, that will look good displayed in your collection.

Thank you. I saw this come up for sale probably three times over before making an offer. A firm favourite despite any mismatch, good to have a Steerhorn in the collection, and especially nice to have as it now puts an OST into the collection too. To hold this feels like a good solid stick, and must have been a pleasure to use back in the day.

Jim Stettler

The 'steerhorn' switchook is the  early type switchook
The ost receiver is old and always nice to have . They have a decent value.

Probably not original to the phone.

In the US many dealers used to cobble together phones with old parts they had laying around. Many times the value of the old parts are worth more than the phone they put them on.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

Another very nice addition. Even if the receiver is not original, as already stated, it is a good find.
We all need to consider that back in the day these things were simply daily use appliances. There was no thought of "keeping it original", if it needed a replacement part whatever was on hand was what got used. It may have been done at an independent refurbisher, a dealer or Uncle Joe's Repair shop that installed it. As long as it worked.
Looking forward to seeing the after pics.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

That's a nice phone - congratulations.

I believe these were only made for around a year from 1900. In 1901 the hook changed from the steer horn type to one with a 'K' in the end loops. This short article addresses the change away from the steer horn type of hook.

http://telephoneexchange.info/ART_SteerHorn.html

In 1900, desk stands were a bit of a novelty. It is called "portable" to distinguish it from those fixed to the wall. The French called desk telephones "mobile" telephones.

As others have mentioned, yours is not the correct receiver. I am pretty certain that Kellogg never made an OST receiver. The correct receiver is a Kellogg and has a cap on the cable entry end that covers the terminals.

Regards
Jack

oldguy

Beautiful phone, congratulations. Kellogg made some beauties.
Gary

FABphones

Crikey. This one sold for $661 and is in poorer condition, plus slightly later (patent granted, mine says patent applied for).

Thread for below screenshot listing:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24497.msg243097#msg243097