News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Recent posts

Phone Booths / Re: I brought home a nice West...
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - Yesterday at 08:50:47 PM
What a find!

Mike
All Other Pay Telephones / Re: Converting an Intellicall ...
Last post by MaximRecoil - Yesterday at 05:27:27 PM
Quote from: 5415551212 on March 24, 2024, 10:00:48 PMVery cool project, thanks for sharing.

Thanks.

I made a bracket out of sheet metal to mount the tone-generating PCB and the network to. I attached the bracket to the upper housing with 4 machine screws that were already there, so I didn't have to make any modifications to the payphone. For that matter, I haven't made any actual modifications to the payphone at all, nor do I intend to, so this conversion is completely reversible.

I also ditched the annoying ITT network and replaced it with a Western Electric 425 network, which I like a lot better because it's potted and has nice screw terminals. The ITT network's tightly packed QD terminals are a pain when it comes to inserting and removing the spades, because other already-connected spades get in the way of your fingers. A lot of times I have to use tweezers.

A lot of the current wiring that I did is temporary. I ordered some 22-gauge wire (the biggest gauge you can use with typical phone spades and DuPont connectors) and when it arrives I'm going to replace all the wiring and connectors from the hookswitch, "ringer," and keypad-to-tone-generating-PCB. I like bigger gauge wires even when the amperage of the circuits isn't enough to require them, just for the sake of durability (less likely to break right at the connector when doing wiring). When I'm done the wiring will look neater too.
General Discussion / Re: Anybody know where I can f...
Last post by poplar1 - Yesterday at 02:18:25 PM
Quote from: Robert Gift on Yesterday at 01:28:35 PMIs Trimline™ bell same as Princess® bell?

1963-1980 Princess has M1A ringer.
1981-1986(?) Princess has P-type Trimline ringer.
Last post by ChrisW6ATV - Yesterday at 01:58:06 PM
Thank you for posting that direct link, Paul.
General Discussion / Re: Anybody know where I can f...
Last post by Robert Gift - Yesterday at 01:28:35 PM
Is Trimline™ bell same as Princess® bell?

Wife packed the Trimline telephone so I cannot compare.
Thank you.
Last post by paul-f - Yesterday at 11:00:18 AM
Quote from: ChrisW6ATV on April 06, 2023, 10:01:19 PMI checked the indexes and found the specific Bell manuals/BSPs for these booths, so I will post the list here in case anyone else looks for them as well. All are on the TCI Web site.

508-110-100 Type 5, 6, 10, 11 booth identification
508-110-200 Type 5, 6, 10, 11 booth installation
508-110-201 Type 5, 6, 10, 11 booth fixtures installation (lights, blower, ventilator)
508-110-300 Type 5, 6, 10, 11 booth maintenance

TCI Library search link: https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=booths+indoor+508+110
General Discussion / Re: How many of you actually u...
Last post by ReneRondeau - Yesterday at 10:59:29 AM
I used to have several antique phones connected but now I'm down to one (an AE payphone). I had bought a dial gizmo to allow pulse dialing from it but it stopped working after a couple of months. So I can answer on it, but not call out. But I never do that since there's no caller ID, and it's far from where I can see ID on our cordless modern phone. Since 95% of the calls we get today are spam / scam, I rely on caller ID to filter the calls.

I have a very early ringer box on the line instead of using the electronic ringers on our landline. However, as time goes by we use the landline less and less. My wife doesn't use it at all anymore -- she's entirely dependent on her cell.

I miss the days when I had old phones all around the house, and at my office at work.
Last post by Payphone installer - Yesterday at 07:39:02 AM
I have the key for you phone text me at 859-512-8706
General Discussion / Re: How many of you actually u...
Last post by MMikeJBenN27 - Yesterday at 07:36:11 AM
Just put new cords on my rare blue 304, and yes, I have the ringer hooked up to the M and RR terminals.  Phone works perfectly and looks great as well.  I don't have a cell phone any more, so all I use are my "classic" phones.

Mike
Pay Phone Locks and Keys / Re: Dick Pitzer's Key Price Li...
Last post by ChrisW6ATV - March 26, 2024, 08:16:21 PM
Hi, Jim-

I will send you a note, I wish to buy a key for my 1C1 single-slot phone. Thanks!