News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My collection

Started by shadow67, January 20, 2017, 08:39:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

Hello and thank you for admitting me to the group. I have been collecting telephones for a few years and one of the most interesting is my wooden wall phone made by Sumter Telephone in South Carolina, where I live. I have not been able to find much information on these phones on the internet. I picked it up about 15 years ago for about $75 I think at a flea market. It languished in a closet for years until I decided to hang it in our storage shed and tried to see if it would work. I found a couple broken wires and used some alligator clips to bypass the breaks and used a wall wart to give it power. I have another W.E. candlestick magneto set that I hung upstairs and ran wires between the two. Amazingly they worked! My 10 and 7 year olds love to crank the phones and talk to each other. Does anyone have any info on this phone or the possible age or value? Thanks

I will add other pics of my small collection.

shadow67

more photos

shadow67

more pics

AL_as_needed

Love the MIdway9 dial card, I think that style of card really takes the 302 to the next level.

Also, how do you mount your payphones? Just bolted to a back board? I dont own one yet but planning ahead.
TWinbrook7

oldguy

Nice collection, shadow67.
Gary

shadow67

The single slot pay phone I had a mounting plate for that I mounted to a board. The 3 slot pay phone came with a wire attached to the top of the mounting plate so it is just hung on a large bolt.

shadow67

Just as added info, I have the 3 slot and one of the 302s plugged into ATAs and connected to an asterisk system residing on a raspberry pi. They have their own extension numbers and can call between them. The candlestick sitting on top of the magneto box is wired to the wooden magneto Sumter phone and they can ring each other and talk to each other. Thanks for the compliments! I love playing with old telephones. I work for the phone company and have worked in central offices so have had the opportunity to see the switching side of how the phone system operates. Very interesting.

shadow67

Some newer additions

shadow67

I recently acquired this B1 deskset. It came without a subset and only the handset cord, but thanks to this forum I was able to wire it to a 534A I was not using. It seems to misdial at times. Perhaps a dial calibration issue.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: shadow67 on December 29, 2018, 10:09:51 PM
I recently acquired this B1 deskset. It came without a subset and only the handset cord, but thanks to this forum I was able to wire it to a 534A I was not using. It seems to misdial at times. Perhaps a dial calibration issue.
I think it would be a constant problem if it was a calibration issue.
I think it just needs to be lubed. The TCI library has the dial bsp's. They show the lube points and specify the oil.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Nice collection, I had a very nice B1 and hated selling it, your looks nice too. Yea, I think a little lube and your dial will be as good as new.
KEN

shadow67

Thanks I will give it a try

oldguy

It's amazing what a little oil can do for a dial.
Gary

bobv

Babybearjs

be sure to replace any missing dial centers... it just makes the phone more complete.
John