News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A long awaited project coming to completion

Started by Key2871, May 15, 2018, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

Thanks Paul, I do enjoy tinkering with my projects more so now because I have a place to do do it. But having a place for my key setup is also good, and I believe you guys are right I have seen a huge drop in sales of landline phones. Not only from the aspect of sales in this charity, but in stores too.
It's been slow coming, but the older people who volunteer in this organization don't throw out stuff that doesn't sell.
So the barns are brimming full each year, and these phones are just getting pushed further and further back and soon won't be found. Granted there are some crap phones I won't waste my time with. And anything really old has sold and very little old stuff is coming in. But there is some stuff that might be of interest, now my job will be to find them and try to do something to save them from the scrap heap.
I didn't really want to start a new thread, so I added to this older one in hopes of having a hard sale of sorts here.
But I don't see any interest here either, and I'm doing this as a service so I'm not going to put them up on eBay.
Well guys and gals, enjoy your weekend..
KEN

19and41

I might be interested, but without knowing and seeing what is on offer for what price, it would be difficult to commit to a purchase.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Under stood. There is a plethora of phones, what I was going to do is offer Western Electric phones, or phones that are like new. There's not a bunch, but I hate to see them trashed.
So I can get some good phones take pictures and go from their. Sound good? I'll post them in for sale, so there's no confusion.
KEN

poplar1

My nephew works for a rehab place that is in need of about 20 -- 2500 sets. So far I've been able to find 6 of them at Sonny's warehouse. I am planning to upgrade the ones with older 35-type dials so that they will dial out better on Comcast modem and for Voice Mail, IVRs etc.
So maybe I will need some electronic dials (even if they are not Western Electric) as well, perhaps from mini-wall 2554 sets.

You can always use the 623D modular line jacks, even if they are broken, inside 302s, etc., to convert them to half-modular without having to cut the housing. Just install the 623D inside the 302 base.

Sonny says that 2500s, 2554s, and Trimlines were slow sellers at the antique shows he used to do, but that Princess, 500 and 554 are still popular. Of course, the 228A adapter plates for 554s will also fit 354s if you want a 1/4 modular 354.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Key2871

Yea, I've noticed the same in my area. But I don't know of any 2500s there, just a lot of cheap $1 phones, as I call them.
Conair trimlines, atnt trimlines, those just don't move. If I see a set that's busted and it has parts I salvage them, scrap the rest. Cordless phones, just don't move.
The hardest part for me is finding them because they tend to get scattered around. But yes, I hear what your saying. I've actually repaired some sets with parts I've had on hand, and those will get salvaged..
Sometimes I get surprised after waiting a few weeks, an estate will get cleared out and I get to see all the phone stuff.
So if anyone has specific wants, let me know and I'll look.
KEN

19and41

Quote from: Key2871 on June 27, 2019, 02:13:53 PM
Under stood. There is a plethora of phones, what I was going to do is offer Western Electric phones, or phones that are like new. There's not a bunch, but I hate to see them trashed.
So I can get some good phones take pictures and go from their. Sound good? I'll post them in for sale, so there's no confusion.

I'll keep an eye out.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Well as of this date, the answer is no.
They said they have some one who comes and buys the phones for props.
So that's that..
KEN

Key2871

Hey does anyone have an idea how to relube the handset cord reel? This one is getting a bit glitchy.
KEN

Key2871

After working on my latest project, two 832, 2832 sets.
I'm finding I definitely need more work space as the current one is just barely getting by.

So I'm pondering do I put one with slip hinges or just year regular hinges.

I've seen slip hinges made right here in New Hampshire and they look like a quality product, and they are very reasonable in price.

As some of you may know slip hinges are put on some test equipment made for Bell system test equipment so the lid can be slid off to use in contained spaces.

Thing is I have to buy ten sets at a time.
So if anyone has an idea should I go with regular tight pin hinges or would it may be a better idea to have it removable.

It's just getting tight on the work area because manuals and phone set with tools about use up my space very quickly.

And my top has storage under so I have to find a good way to make the "wing" stationary while allowing the main top be lifted when I need to get to items under.

I'm thinking a fixed top would perhaps work best, in case the top got bumped, with slip hinges it could fall off.
Any one have suggestions?
KEN

FABphones

A layout like this (image 1 below) might work for you.

Make two additional work surfaces, one for each side, which slide underneath your main work surface. The working level (height) each side would be lower than your main work area, but for tools, books etc that may not be too much of an issue.

As each side slides underneath the main work area when not required, the footprint remains the same as you have now when not in use. Just slide one or both sides out when extra space is needed. It will triple the size of your current work area, and you can still access your storage.

If you don't want permanent sliding work surfaces or would prefer the additional working height to be the same as you have now, other options include:

— Hinged lift up side panels with clamp legs or drop down legs
— Hinged lift up side panels with gate leg extensions
— Hinged lift up side panels with swivel or pull out support arms
— Metal retractable slides; drop in surface boards can be stored out of sight to the rear of the work unit when not required

Example images below. Not shown on your exact style of unit, but just to help give an idea re mechanisms.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jim Stettler

FAB
I really like the concept you brought up.

Exposed flat surfaces have a tendency to get cluttered.
This concept keep the idle footprint small and the active footprint effective, until no longer needed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clear workbench hack:

I sometimes put large empty boxes on my workbench space. This keeps me from cluttering the space. I move the boxes when  needed.

This method of fooling yourself is like setting the clock fast.
But if it works for your personality. It works.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

CJ,  I second Jim's thoughts, of adding surface area.
As for the sliding feature it would be nice, but impractical for my set up. Given the current design of a lift top for access to storage.
I think I'm going to change that too.

Because when I have things on top then I need to get something under, well it's not easy.

However, I do like the lift wing with two swing out supports.the last pic I believe, They would actually take up less space than what I was thinking of.

And having a wing on either side is an idea I had not thought of.
But the swing out leg support would be easy to and hide away under the wing nicely.

And Jim, I have tried that routine but found it didn't work so well for me. Because the boxes fill with stuff, then finding a clear place is harder.
One thing I did get last year was a industrial rack it's small about 18" x 12" it's an open fame shelving for storage. Mine has castors so I can wheel it around. Up till I got these phones I was thinking about getting rid of it, but am now finding it a nice place to store parts. The shelves are inverted so stuff won't fall off as easy.
Plus the rim provides a place to hang things using a wire hook.

So guys thanks so much for your ideas!
The room in my shop is limited. Especially at the moment, trying to get these sets it back together and then clean up after a winter of going in to get what I need but not necessarily putting things away.
Too cold to hang out there in winter months.

I really have to thin down on stuff too. I tend to collect stuff I think I need but rarely use.
KEN

Key2871

Having to take baby steps, between rain, heat in the 80s plus, having a family emergency I'm getting closer to actually starting.

I've decided I'll rework one side of my "desk" adding framing to allow for a flip up top with the leg brace to slide out and support the top.

I'm very grateful for the great ideas I got.
I'm going to keep the flip top part for now, until I can come up with  better design to have some sort of storage for manuals tools etc.

But I have all materials I need on hand with exception of a couple hinges for the supports.
And I do hope to have that underway soon.
With the covid thing still looming over our heads the charity I did phones for has been closed for two years.

It's kind of a blessing as it gives me time for my project, and reworking my desk.
KEN

Key2871

Well I was out in the shed the other day, it was upper 50s in temp. Had some odds and ends to put away for the winter. Sat down in front of my desk.
And looking at the very limited space and thinking how it was a pain in the bootie to get to things under my desk top, decidedthat more changes have to be made.

I really liked the ideas that Fab(CJ) posted a while back about extensions. So I decided on one that should work well in my case. I should still have the fifth wheel from the office chair I got the other four for the bench/desk To roll the set up around, and the extension will ( I hope) work well.
KEN

Key2871

Well, I was out in my shed a few days ago, nice warm day and needed to get a couple things. Sat at my test desk and thought how much I really have to get an extension made. I can't load the file, the system won't let me. But it's the last of several that Fab loaded on his last post.
And the fifth wheel that came off that desk chair I got the wheels from for making this mobile.
That will make it easy to pull the support out and then back when I'm done.
I went back and forth in my mind about what would work best in my situation and that's going to be it.

Another is the fact that it's a pain in the bootie to get stuff out from under my top from storage with a big phone such as a 2831. And how I really need to change that as well.
And again, after much thought, I'm going to put a drawer in there. It's fairly easy, just remove the front of the storage space, build a drawer then slide it back into the space that's there now.

Yea I could get some drawer slides in fact I have a couple now.. Anyway this way I can refasten the top now on hindges, and that way the top doesn't come up.
And the wing to the left will have a place to fasten to.

The hindges now on the top, along with one or two more will mount the sliding support for the wing.

Usually I'm the type to jump on getting things done.
But getting older, having other projects pop up that are a bit more important. Well this stuff gets pushed back.
But I already have the extension cut, as I was going to do that before I wanted storage under the top, that really didn't turn out to be a great idea.

And the wing needs solid support to operate.
My family and I live in a community that has a community hall that's heated, so I can take my table saw and a few other tools and spend the better part of a day making noise and dust and keep warm at the same time.
So I'm hoping in the next few weeks I can get to that and get things cut.
My wife's dad goes in for surgery next week the kids have several days off school. So I'm hoping two weeks to have time to cut the wood that I need to build this stuff.
KEN