News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 spools Northern Electric cloth wire

Started by CanadianGuy, July 09, 2019, 12:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanadianGuy

Not exactly a yard sale, but while working in an apartment earlier, the guy asked if I had any use for them. I don't, but snagged them anyway :) Never know!

Are you selling them? I could be interested.

CanadianGuy

I'd be willing to sell them. I guess this post could be moved to the classifieds?

Quote from: CanadianGuy on July 09, 2019, 12:39:03 PM
I'd be willing to sell them. I guess this post could be moved to the classifieds?

Send me a PM and we can work something out.

Key2871

KEN

CanadianGuy

It's 1 pair and quite thick. I assume that's station wire, but not what I'm used to seeing. I found photos with this type of spool, but they have switchboard wire.

Key2871

I've seen very old overhead wire that was heavy and cloth covered. So I wonder if that would be some. Switch board wire wouldn't be so heavy, it seems to me anyway.
My uncle worked for Bell, back in the late 50s and he had some old stuff another guy had given him. This is why I suspect it's overhead drop wire.
KEN

HowardPgh

From the pictures it looks like old electric wire. Is it solid or stranded? What are the inner conductors covered with? A picture of an end of the wire would clear up the mystery.  Reminds me of the time I got a big spool of Green twisted stranded lamp cord. It looked great on old electric fans and hanging pendant lights.
Howard

Desert Phone Guy

The metal spools themselves would be quite collectible, even without the wire...

Steve

Key2871

If it is electrical wire, why would it be twisted?
I remember old wiring was straight off the reel, then was used with knobs as standoffs, or through porcelain tubes to go though studs or other structure members.
Or it was cased in cloth jacket, braided.
KEN

tubaman

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on July 10, 2019, 05:39:14 PM
The metal spools themselves would be quite collectible, even without the wire...

Steve

Quite agree, those spools are really nice.
:)

CanadianGuy

Quote from: HowardPgh on July 10, 2019, 02:35:15 PM
From the pictures it looks like old electric wire. Is it solid or stranded? What are the inner conductors covered with? A picture of an end of the wire would clear up the mystery.  Reminds me of the time I got a big spool of Green twisted stranded lamp cord. It looked great on old electric fans and hanging pendant lights.

Sorry for delay. The pair is white and red, and looks to be aluminum stranded core. If they have a twist, it's not much. It was mentioned to me that it may have asbestos, so I'd like to try and find a BSP or some more info on it. Thanks

Dan/Panther

On the spool it reads Orange and Purple.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

CanadianGuy

I just took these. I didn't even notice the marker statement.

HowardPgh

It looks like shielded cable for audio.  I think I see a braided shielding.
Howard