News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found - *WANTED*****Payphone Parts

Started by HarrySmith, April 23, 2021, 06:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am in need of some parts for my  D-180574 C.S. payphone. This is a converted model that is supposed to have a special bracket & ringer in it. I need those parts. If I can't find them I will figure out how to put a different ringer in there somewhere.
Also, I am in need of some locks for the WE vault & upper housing. I will need 2 of each with keys.
Please PM me if you can help.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan F

Hi Harry,

I depends on how the phone started life as. Most of the 74's were converted from the 236 payphones. It has a 4010 network (same as the Princess phone) tucked in behind the the coin chute and a ringer mounted near the top of the lower housing. You can tell the difference by what connects the upper housing to the lower. The 236 used a 15 pin d-sub connector and the 233 used fingers and contact springs.

Very few were converted from 233's. The problem with these is the 233 cost the service center a lot more to convert. it has no internal network or ringer and required an external 684a subset.  I have restored both models. The phone you see as my avatar is my 233 which has the 684a subset under the phone.

The service center takes the phone and removes the coin chute and replaces it with a funnel that directs the coins to the coin hopper. In the process they also break off the slug reject fingers and other parts off the lower coin gauge. They also remove the coin relay and the coin trap mechanism and pin the flapper to the collect side. They also take the big bell from the coin chute (ding-ding) and mount it in the coin box area where the inverted coins would hit it.They also stick a wooden block where the coins would fall into the coin return bucket. They also replaced both locks with fake locks that required no keys to operate.

What you will need to restore the phone to original condition.
* Lower part of the coin gauge and replacement rivets. (the zinc part inside just under the outer chrome part) Very rare to Unobtainium
* Coin Chute and mounting hardware (springs and long bayonet screws) Rare usually about $50-75 There are 2 basic types, one for the early phones with no coin return button and one with.
* Coin Relay and coin trap parts. (1A relay will not work)
* Locks
* Coin box $64

Locks should be a non issue. I have both NE and WE phones and have standardized on the 21B NE upper housing. You can find these on ebay for about $65. The vault lock is somewhat easier to get. 29A or 30C series that as used on the single slot phones or the 22B NE lock will work fine.

HarrySmith

Thanks Dan. I have the pin connector so I guess it started as a 236. Mine still has the coin chute with the bells and the network. It is missing the ringer & bracket. I did notice the block in the coin return which I will remove. I already have a lower part of the coin gauge, the cast part, I removed from another phone. I also have the relay, will that be needed to make it work on a home phone line? I did not notice any pin on the flapper. Where is that supposed to be?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dan F

What I ment by the "pinned flapper" was they flip it to the collect position then put a screw in to keep it there. Pictures of the parts you have would be a great help.

The phone as wired from Western Electric was designed to be hooked up to a ground start coin collector phone line. If you are going to use it on your standard POTS loop start circuit at home you should not have to do much from the original wiring. There are 4 screws on the coin relay. two powers the coin relay to collect or return. it requires about 80-100 volts DC to operate. The other pair of terminals go to the dial to short the dial pulse contacts. That requires a coin to be in the hopper so the dial will function. Leave those disconnected. The relay is not required for the phone to operate, just makes it cool looking when you open it up to show people it's complete.

I have attached the wiring diagram for the 236 and 2 pictures detailing the location of the bell and the coin relay

HarrySmith

Thanks Dan. I will compare that to mine & try to get some more pictures up here.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"