News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mediterranean Blue 500 Painted Aqua Blue?

Started by magicbrain, May 10, 2021, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

Did anyone get this phone? Seems to have a Mediterranean blue shell & receiver painted aqua blue - Base is stamped with a "62" code for aqua blue - I tried contacting the seller, but got the usual (at least in my experience) no response to my questions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384134207205?

Bruce

Doug Rose

Good eyes Bruce, it does look like the base is Med Blue on the bottom....Doug
Kidphone

MMikeJBenN27

The shell does indeed look like it is a Mediterranean blue painted Aqua.  The "62" in red indicates that this is a Ma Bell refurb.  It was probably done between 1958 and 1959, maybe 60, as after that, they would throw soft plastics away and replace them with hard plastics.  The handset might also be painted.

Mike

Pourme

~

Good catch, indeed. I saw that phone and didn't catch that. I too wonder who got it.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

magicbrain

Quote from: Pourme on May 11, 2021, 03:05:51 AM
Good catch, indeed. I saw that phone and didn't catch that. I too wonder who got it.
Quote from: Doug Rose on May 10, 2021, 11:51:16 AM
Good eyes Bruce, it does look like the base is Med Blue on the bottom....Doug
I purchased a phone like this several years ago:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21288.msg217148#msg217148
Since then I've stayed on the lookout for anything similar - I did not bid on this one as it went over I was willing to pay.
Bruce

Doug Rose

Bruce...what did you end up doing with the Med blue you got for $42?

Did you leave it painted or try to remove the Aqua paint.

I know the forum vote was to keep it aqua.

I think I would have stripped it, but hindsight is always 20/20.

I had a softpastic pink that was painted red, brake fluid did a nice job removing the paint and leaving the pink...pink..Doug
Kidphone

magicbrain

Doug,
I just cleaned it up & left it aqua blue, as I agreed with other members that it was preserving its history & much more interesting as a factory color change - besides stripping it would require finding a Mediterranean blue dial bezel ::)
Bruce

Doug Rose

Kidphone