News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE34 - just arrived

Started by FABphones, November 15, 2021, 07:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This black AE34 arrived at the weekend, only just had time to unpack today. Looks nice to me, nothing chromed or brassed out on the handset. Thankfully no damage, side vents intact.

I am going to need a bit of guidance to adjust the endcap correctly.

Have never seen one of these, I didn't realise the AE34 had the 'no side indentation' bodyshell.

Images below just after unpacking. Will add better photos once the handset is corrected.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

congrats!...it is a beauty...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

The AE 34 is a beautiful art deco design.  Is the grille part of the transmitter spit cup angled like the edge of the spit cup or flat?  If it is angled, you need to be very careful to hold the spit cup still while turning the brass part.  Unscrewing the caps on those handsets can be challenging.  Heating the brass with a hair dryer can help if they are stuck.

Larry

tubaman

I think your trusty "WD40 on the treads and then apply a strap wrench" will work just fine. I had all but given up on my handset of that type until you suggested it and it worked perfectly.

david@london

Congrats on that CJ, good to hear it arrived without damage.
I think this could be my fav phone.....although no, never seen one either, other than photos, inc. Jorge A's album + Bogart movies.

Is that a genuine blank numbercard? Maybe a repro LYric or SHadyside would be a nice addition?

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/ae/ae_black.html

stub

FABphones,
                 SWEET !!!!!!!! There are three ( or 4 ) versions of this phone. One ( 34A3) has the induction-coil receiver and a 205 ohm wire wound resistor and the receiver will have 3 wires on it. The second one ( 34A3) will have a regular three winding induction-coil in the base and receiver will have two wires on it. The third one (34A3B) uses the 41 handset instead of the 38 handset.
                 We have both wiring diagrams in the wiring section here. As always send pic !!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

HowardPgh

Judging from the handset picture, it has th older style flat grille spitcup. Normally they have a little locating tab to orient the cup in the handset. Sometimes that is broken off. To reset the spitcup, put your thumb in the opening and press it to the  handset. While doing that, loosen the brass collar and turn the cup to where it's proper. Try not to remove the collar as the threads are fine and it is hard to to line it back up to not crossthread it.
Howard

FABphones

Thanks all for the replies and the info. Just what I needed. Appreciated.  :)

I will be putting some time aside later and making a route into my little workshop to reach the WD40 and wrench strap.  ;)

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 15, 2021, 04:39:27 PM
...it has the older style flat grille spitcup....

That's good to know. Thank you.

Image below.

HowardPgh

Be careful with the strap wrench. The collar is brass and it is easy to distort its shape.
Howard

tubaman

Quote from: HowardPgh on November 16, 2021, 09:55:49 AM
Be careful with the strap wrench. The collar is brass and it is easy to distort its shape.

Agree, I was only suggesting its use to break the initial stiction. As I said it worked great on mine in conjunction with an initial application of WD40.

stub

I used a hair dryer on mine and 3 in one oil to help it.
             I finally found the 4th version . pic stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

FABphones

Thanks Howard, tubaman and stub, always a good idea to give a reminder to proceed carefully.   :)

I was cautious with the strap wrench. A few mins after the WD40 application the collar moved fairly easily.

Thanks also for letting me know not to fully remove the collar and about the locating tab. I felt it slot into place and held it there to gently retighten.

The other endcap (also slightly out of adjustment) is proving a little more stubborn. It is having a WD40 soak until it gives in....

More images to follow.

———-

ETA: Managed to loosen the earcap collar but the endcap turns with it and remains firmly adhered to it.

Any tips to correct re this would be most welcome.

LarryInMichigan

The bakelite part of the receiver cap is held to the threaded brass collar by the brass piece in the center, and there are a series of tabs and holes to hold the bakelite in one position.  You will need to unscrew the center brass piece to separate the bakelite part.

Larry

FABphones

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 18, 2021, 08:41:25 AM
...You will need to unscrew the center brass piece to separate the bakelite part.

Larry

Thanks for the fast reply Larry. So I will need to fully remove this cap and work on the centre from the inside?

tubaman

Reading this has finally got me to brave getting apart the receiver end of my AE 2 Line Monophone (http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19956), and with success!
Luckily on mine the brass ring did unscrew from the handset, making it easier to work on. I have now got the rest apart with a WD40 soak and an old pair of GPO duckbill pliers. The problem was that the centre collar has an octagonal hole so allen keys etc do not fit as they are hexagonal. However the end of the duckbill pliers fitted well enough to get purchase on the collar and undo it.