"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell set type 25 not ringing?

Started by LoganEnglish, May 18, 2022, 05:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganEnglish

Hi all,

I have what I believe to by a type 196 GPO phone (Or the New Zealand equivalent)  mounted atop a type 25 bell set. The phone is dated 1952 and it makes and receives perfectly. The only issue I have is that the bell set isn't ringing. I am using this chart as my reference. The only difference with my phone is that it does not have a white wire from the block terminal to the E contact. Instead it opts for a strap between the L1 and E contacts.

There is continuity through the whole circuit between E and R so I'm not quite sure what the issue is? There is certainly AC ringing current being applied and there is absolutely no movement from the striker. I've attached an image of the bell set and its contacts which I have labeled. If anyone has any ideas what I could do to try troubleshoot this further I would greatly appreciate it. Glad to provide any further details if/when needed.

Cheers,
Logan
Collector of vintage New Zealand telephones and related bits and bobs.

FABphones

Quote from: LoganEnglish on May 18, 2022, 05:17:57 AMI have what I believe to be a type 196 GPO phone...

Welcome to CRPF!

Could you add images of the lettering on the rear (underneath) of your Bellset, and images of the inside of your phone.

:)

This info re the model 196:
https://www.britishtelephones.com/t196.htm
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

Quote from: LoganEnglish on May 18, 2022, 05:17:57 AM...mounted atop a type 25 bell set.

The design of your Bellset took my interest as is not the same as my #25 or any other I have come across. You may have a 1930's Siemens, missing it's Bakelite cover. Possibly a Prototype.

https://www.britishtelephones.com/bellst25.htm

What is the history of this Bellset / Phone, how did you come by it?
What makers marks are on the Phone/Handset/Bellset?

Looking forward to seeing more images.

—-

*First image below shows a closeup of your #25 Bellset alongside an image of a Siemens #25.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LoganEnglish

Quote from: FABphones on May 18, 2022, 06:09:01 AMCould you add images of the lettering on the rear (underneath) of your Bellset, and images of the inside of your phone.

Sure,

On the underside there are patent numbers which only a few numbers are hard to read due to scratching. I did take the feet off and remove the 'false bottom' if you will but there were no further markings underneath. I've attached the images along with a photo of the phone itself all put together. Where you can see the bell set below.

LoganEnglish

Quote from: FABphones on May 18, 2022, 08:23:53 AMWhat is the history of this Bellset / Phone, how did you come by it?
What makers marks are on the Phone/Handset/Bellset?

In terms of the history, we really have nothing to go off. I bought it off TradeMe (A local equivalent of Ebay) and the gentleman selling it was just an antiques dealer so he hadn't any information on it.

With regard to markings I was surprised at the lack of any. On my '52 and '53 wall mounted phones they both had N numbers on them so they were easy to identify but there is nothing of the sort on the bell set and nothing on the phone (as far as I can tell, unless I'm looking in the wrong place). They only marking I have found easily is on the handset and it reads "164 | 52". 164 being the handset type and 52, of course, being 1952.

An interesting thought that it could be a prototype model I haven't seen that semi-circle contact board in other photos. I would normally chalk it down to the NZPO being a bit unique but there are no markings to indicate it's specifically a New Zealand variant so who knows?

LoganEnglish

Solved!

Trust me to think the magnetos were bust. All it was was a wire to the capacitor which had broken free of its solder ;D. It was difficult know it was detached and it wasn't until I pulled on it that I realized it was totally disconnected.

Seen here ringing in the American cadence

I'd be interested in trying to identify which model of bell set it is but that's a conversation for another thread and another day.

Cheers,
Logan