News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GeneGenie's phone collection!

Started by GeneGenie, September 28, 2013, 01:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeneGenie

As I've only been collecting phones for around 3 months I might not have a lot to show off but here's what I've got! My current long-term project is to collect all BT Special Range phones, so far I have those:

1) SRT 8022 "Genie" - first phone I got, seeing one of them in an old BT advert was what got me started to collect phones :)
2) SRT 8023 another "Genie", equipped with Silent and Last Number Redial buttons.
3) SRT 8008 "Dawn"
4) SRT 8009 "Eiger";
5) SRT 8031 "PicturePhone";
6) SRT 8035 "Rondo".

WesternElectricBen

Looks like a good start, the only phone I have that you have is a Dawn.

Ben

GeneGenie

Every now and then I get distracted and buy phones which aren't part of Special Range:

1) Complete 722 Trimphone set;
2) Two 712 Field Trial Trimphones (I'm particuralry proud of having them in my collection!)
3) Two Sceptres 100 - one of the first phones to come with LCD display!
4) Spotlight - similar to Trimline, the little lights inside the see-through case glow when it rings!
5) Stropkov - made in Tesla factory (Slovakia) by the same people who made "Dawn" (Northern Telecom);
6) 8746 - my personal favourite :)

AE_Collector

Nice Phone Show GeneGenie! I always enjoy seeing the British Telecom Phones.

I have a couple of NT "Dawn" phones around here myself.

Terry

GeneGenie

"Dawn" is my favourite one from Special Range, they're really good phones, shame we only had 2 colours (beige and green) in the UK though.

AE_Collector

Is the green one the real light turquoise green colour we had here in Canada? It is a nice colour, I have that one.

They are very heavy well built phones with heavy cast pot metal bases, at least the Canadian made NT version is.

Terry

GeneGenie

The colour we had in the UK is not something I'd call turquoise green. It's more avocado-like colour. Don't like it so much in that version, it looks like some kind of camouflage.
My Dawn also have a metal base underneath although I have seen some that didn't.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"In 1982 customers had to pay an installation charge of £20 for the Dawn and had to pay an additional £ 2.25 in quarterly rental."

GeneGenie

Yes, that's how it looks, did they have a different green version of Dawn in Canada then?
You couldn't buy phones back then, you could only rent them so even though you paid for an installation + the monthly/quarterly rate you didn't own it. I think they've changed it some time in the 80s when Post Office became BT, I seem to recall Special Range telephones were the first ones you could actually buy.

poplar1

BellSouth sold a light blue Dawn. I believe this is it, but the EBay photo isn't good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190883952974

Also, another BT list:

http://telephonesuk.co.uk/phones_1980on.htm

GeneGenie

Now, that's a pancake! Sadly the push-button version has never made it to Britain but I generally prefer phones with a dial. Plus the dial version of "Dawn" has that funky UFO flying saucer shape!

GeneGenie

I seem to be in a mood for field trial phones at the moment, I just added a "Compact" prototype to my collection. I don't think there are major differences between the SA/4271 and 776 except the production date. This one dates from 1972 - 5 years before first "Compact" telephone was released.

twocvbloke

If JubileeCompact sees that Compact, I'm sure he'll be rather jealous of you!!! :D

AE_Collector

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2013, 09:38:44 AM
BellSouth sold a light blue Dawn. I believe this is it, but the EBay photo isn't good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190883952974

As far as I know, the somewhat different looking TT model 2020 was called "Rendezvous" where as the original Rotary model 440 was "Dawn". I guess Telco's could have purchased the TT 2020 and continued to market it as a TT "Dawn".

The "Turquoise" or maybe more accurately "Sea Foam Green" model that I have is different (lighter green) than the BT Avocado green Dawn. I will try to post a picture.

Terry