News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebaY's "Mr Helpful"

Started by Sargeguy, May 11, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Jorge for reminding us about the dial restoration album.  I had forgotten about that one.

I do not have a similar desk set but I do have this model in a wall set.  It is not yet refurbished...but on the "things to do" list. :)

wds

It has been quiet on the "Mr Helpful" front lately, but I think he's back.  Could this be him?

http://tinyurl.com/mrhelpful  ( dead link 02-15-21 )

Q: This is a subset for a 1920's thru 1940's Western Electric telephone. Has nothing to do with a door bell or alarm. Good luck.
A: Thanks for the info. I always like to learn. Brian.
Dave

Vern P

Well if you don't now what it is or how used, make up a good story or name for it. I guess. :<)  Looks like a nice 534 to me.

Vern P

AE_Collector

Has "Mister Helpfull" been on vacation or have we all just become bored with complaining about him?

Terry

JorgeAmely

Terry:
He lives in the northern states, so he is currently hibernating.
Jorge

Greg G.

Now that you mention it, I haven't seen him on ebay recently.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Darn, and I made him his very own "Super Topic" here on the Forum by merging a bunch of his threads together.

Jorge: I thought he was from CA? Oh I forgot, same thing as "up north" as far as Weather goes :)

Terry

Doug Rose

I think he is a she. I think she is a past contibutor to our very own Forum.
Kidphone

Greg G.

As much as a pest we think Mr. Helpful is, you have to admit it's tempting to share your knowledge about what a seller has, especially if they have it (unintentionally) misrepresented or incorrect info.  I almost did that recently on a phone listed on ebay that I don't want, but only watching to see what it sells for because I have one that is very similar and like to keep track of what they sell for.  To be more specific, the seller thought the patent date was the manufacture date.  I was tempted to correct them, but held my tongue, or typing as the case may be.  

I have to remind myself not to bore non-collectors when the subject happens to come up, such as at yard sales.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Cindy67

I have seen so many times they have no time to fix.  I am still learning on how to spot a fake, if updated if it still needs ringer box, here's 2 good examples of ebay candlestick phone I just am not sure.  Poplar and sageguy helped in another thread but if I ask no questions I won't learn...
# 170980494751 the guys input was there were a few red flags...another they said it was geat, but this one idk item# 310579420920 & item#  130841912748...

Thank you

Cindy67

Quote from: Brinybay on January 28, 2013, 04:46:02 PM
As much as a pest we think they are, you have to admit it's tempting to share your knowledge about what a seller has, especially if they have it (unintentionally) misrepresented or incorrect info.  I almost did that recently on a phone listed on ebay that I don't want, but only watching to see what it sells for because I have one that is very similar and like to keep track of what they sell for.  To be more specific, the seller thought the patent date was the manufacture date.  I was tempted to correct them, but held my tongue, or typing as the case may be. 

I have to remind myself not to bore non-collectors when the subject happens to come up, such as at yard sales.

No no I meant I am a pest!  I am a woman!  Idk a thing on these phones. I only posted here this question b/c I saw it involved ebay phones

Greg G.

Quote from: Cindy67 on January 28, 2013, 10:09:17 PM
As much as a pest we think they are, you have to admit it's tempting to share your knowledge about what a seller has, especially if they have it (unintentionally) misrepresented or incorrect info.  I almost did that recently on a phone listed on ebay that I don't want, but only watching to see what it sells for because I have one that is very similar and like to keep track of what they sell for.  To be more specific, the seller thought the patent date was the manufacture date.  I was tempted to correct them, but held my tongue, or typing as the case may be.  

No no I meant I am a pest!  I am a woman!  Idk a thing on these phones. I only posted here this question b/c I saw it involved ebay phones

:D Cindy - I think you're posting in the wrong thread!  This thread has nothing to do with your hunt for a phone.  "Mr. Helpful" is a particular person on ebay (we don't know who, it may be more than one person) who has a bad habit of pointing out to sellers that they actually have a very valuable phone that they were selling cheap.
- Mike Row
e

Cindy67

:D Cindy - I think you're posting in the wrong thread!  This thread has nothing to do with your hunt for a phone.  "Mr. Helpful" is a particular person on ebay (we don't know who, it may be more than one person) who has a bad habit of pointing out to sellers that they actually have a very valuable phone that they were selling cheap.

OOPS!