News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Jeremiahdove's Collection

Started by jeremiahdove, December 29, 2014, 11:49:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenton K

I love white chocolate ivory. I don't know how WE decided 500 series ivory looked any good.

KK

unbeldi

Quote from: jeremiahdove on December 30, 2014, 09:20:10 PM
312 Ivory bakelite telephone.  :P  ;D

Are you sure this is actually Bakelite, a phenolic resin? Do you have some references for that?
I thought that they used a urea-formaldehyde resin for the colored versions of these phones.

AE_Collector

I called my couple of "basket case" colored 40's "Colored Bakelite" for years too, just as a generic term since the black ones were Bakelite and these guys were colored! I am still confused about all the different types and terminology for materials used to manufacture many of the early colored phones.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 31, 2014, 10:46:51 AM
I called my couple of "basket case" colored 40's "Colored Bakelite" for years too, just as a generic term since the black ones were Bakelite and these guys were colored! I am still confused about all the different types and terminology for materials used to manufacture many of the early colored phones.

Terry
Well, the field of polymers and plastics is indeed diverse and difficult to maneuver today, even for the chemically inclined and interested person. But in the 1930s and even 40s there weren't many possible candidates for mass produced items and before the 30s there were probably only 3 or 4—I think I may have listed them somewhere on this forum before.

But not knowing is not a reason to call every tropical fruit a pineapple, for example, just because you've heard they come from the tropics. There is a name for unknown plastics.... plastic.
It's quite ok, to say ''I don't know'' what it's made of and it doesn't give the wrong impression. To newcomers to the field it appears that the oldtimers really don't know what they are talking about and don't bother to learn anything. Even eBay has buyer guides on how to spot Bakelite vs fakes or other materials.

I bought a 252 (similar to a 354) wall phone one time, and the seller insisted the housing was metal. So I thought, I do want that! It turned out to be plastic of course, and I got the phone almost for free [PS: after checking... it was only about a 50% discount] when I pointed this out to the seller who immediately offered a generous refund.

[PS:  I guess that's why pineapples are called that... some English speaker didn't know what kind of apple that was...  while the more knowledgeable folks call it ananas.]

Doug Rose

"Oldtimers".....Terry I think I'm older so I'll take the hit. I am on a quest to know what every part of a phone is made of, my New Years Resolution.

I went to the grocery story on the way home and asked for Ananas. I got a long slender yellow thing, sure didn't look like a pineapple.....the clerk thought I was bananas,   8) but you folks already knew that.

Happy New Year....is a tomato a fruit or vegstable....what's it made off. Glad I don't collect fruit.....Kidoldtimer
Kidphone

JohnInWI

Doug,

A tomato is a fruit (related to the berry family).  Also anything containing seeds is considered a fruit.  I know it's difficult to consider a cucumber a fruit, but it is!

-John

Doug Rose

Thanks John

It's a hobby...it's supposed to be fun!!
Kidphone

AE_Collector

I thought you might be a little younger than me Doug. I am 57.635616 today.

Happy new year as well.

Terry

HarrySmith

I am in the same time frame. I am 57 1/2.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

61 on 12/18.....survival of the fattest
Kidphone

jeremiahdove

unbeldi

The wrong usage of the word "Bakelite" for colour Phones of the past.

It is and has been accepted from the past to todate that it has come into generic use by many people to describe any filled phenol formaldehyde thermosetting resin to co-exit with the name" urea-formaldehyde resin made" Colour telephones. I have to agree that they used especially for color phones urea-formaldehyde resin and Bakelite for dark or brown ones.

Thank you for stressing the vitality of using a proper name for the right phones.  Just too habitual for me to automatically  type the word "Bakelite". Ahhh, need to be mindful that I may not mislead others.  ;D  ;D  ;D  :D

jeremiahdove

A patent 1901 Kellogg with the automatic dialer telephone. Came with this phone is the rare 1924 directory written handbook or calendar of the years written in it. Need to re-wire to be used. Do enjoy the photos.