News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's this large part?

Started by TelePlay, July 16, 2016, 01:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Looks like a gazillion farad capacitor having only two very thick copper terminals shorted for storage. I have an isolation transformer about this big but not that heavy.

So, just curious, what is this 6" wide, 35 pound coil? Where was it used and for what purpose?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-INDR-1128A-from-1981-Western-Electric-Coil-NOS-/361647758606

unbeldi

It is an inductor.

A capacitor does not need a ferrite core. If it were a capacitor, this one would have a rather small capacitance, not a large one. It is not size, but total surface area and distance between plates that determines capacity.

TelePlay

Quote from: unbeldi on July 16, 2016, 01:56:32 PM
It is an inductor.

Thanks, that was my second guess.

Where did this come from or what was it used for? It had to be attached to a sturdy metal frame being 35 pounds.

unbeldi

I don't know.

Given the size, it may be a power choke for a large supply.
I would think that may be good for several hundred amps.

Jack Ryan

It looks like a choke to me too although that would more likely have a laminated core. Is it really ferrite? The gadget I am using at the moment has limited resolution - or is that the photo?

Jack

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on July 16, 2016, 09:46:20 PM
It looks like a choke to me too although that would more likely have a laminated core. Is it really ferrite? The gadget I am using at the moment has limited resolution - or is that the photo?

Jack

Sorry,  I didn't mean 'ferrite'.  You are right of course.  It is a laminated core.

TelePlay

It's back at a lower starting price, same shipping. Other than not having a use for it, that does seem like good price but the shipping makes it still expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-INDR-1128A-from-1981-Western-Electric-Coil-NOS-/322232591869