News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed in Deciding to Pursue or Not... Large lot of telephones and parts

Started by Nick in Manitou, March 26, 2018, 09:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

315 and similar top boxes aren't much use if you want a working phone, so supply out-strips demand.  Most collectors look for common battery subsets.  These were used with 20-AL and other 20-XX series phones for the most part. I use a 315 with the 1002 handset I have. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Poplar1,
Thanks for the link about the repair shops! I had not seen that before. There is so much information on this forum...it is not always easy to figure out the right search criteria, but it is amazing how much is here.

Rdelius,
It is a pity that the gongs were so roughly modified. Thanks for confirming that the 1002 would have been appropriate. 

Sargeguy,
Do you have the 315 modified to allow the 1002 to be used with the modern phone line? Or is it just for display?

Nick

Sargeguy

The subset that has the 1002 is a nicer, older one.  The block decal, the brass armature on the ringer and the bronze wheel on the magneto make it more collectible.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Only one of the receivers that I have uncovered so far is an OST type. The only markings I see are some markings inside the receiver cap, "1370" an "H" and a backward, "MM7".  Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer was for this receiver? Perhaps a model number? Approx date?

=======================

Also, another question...I read somewhere on the internet that to lube the generators (magnetos) in these old phones, one should use a dielectric oil. Is this the case? I have some light clock oil I picked up some years ago...would that be a bad idea to use?

Thanks,
Nick

poplar1

"1370" indicates a Western Electric cap for 143 (or 144?) receiver. Also backward compatible with the WE #122 receiver.

This cap has the same thread pattern, but more threads than the original 122 cap. So you should not use a 122 cap on a 143 or 144, but the cap marked 1370 can be used on either the 122 (exposed binding post rec.) or on the 143/144.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Nick in Manitou

Poplar1,
Thanks for identifying that receiver for me.

I had noticed when removing and replacing the cap that the threads seemed to go on for quite a while. The fact that the cap was not designed for that shell explains why.

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Shipboard Galion?

Discovered a Galion with some of the components of a handset latch. The condenser is marked, "Navy Department - Bureau of Ships".

The network is dated IV-43, the inside of the case is stamped, "N1178" and "844" which I would guess is August of '44. The handset also has the "844" stamp, the receiver cap is 8-43, the receiver is 7(?)-27-44, the transmitter cap is 8-44, and the transmitter is 6-44.

I have looked around a bit on the TCI site and on the internet in general and can not find any photos of a Galion with a handset latch. PaulF does mention a desk set with latch as a 7H64 but if this is the type of latch he is referring to, I don't know.

I believe the latch is missing a spring or two and probably a button or a lever for activation.  The rounded lump on the left side of the cradle as seen from the front of the phone is stationary. The part on the right side seems to be set up so that when it is slid forward it lifts up to about 90 degrees toward the right side of the phone and prevents the handset from being lifted. If one pushes rearward on the round projection sticking out from the front of the latch, a curved groove causes the device to twist downward and allows the handset to be lifted. (Not easy to describe and probably not easy to follow!)

If anyone has any photos of other phones with this type of latch, please post them or a link to them.

Also, what are the holes to either side of the dial for?

Thanks,
Nick

Doug Rose

Nick....really different North. No idea what the screw holes are for but they look like the are indented into the dial for something? Is there a screw in the holes?  I know North did phones for the Navy as I have a Wood Wall North for the Navy.  Put it on eBay and I bet there will be some interest. thanks.....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Judging by the residue which runs in a circle around the dial, I would guess that there was some sort of surround or cover mounted around the dial and held by screws or pins which went though those holes.

Larry

Doug Rose

Good call Larry, I was thinking maybe an earlier dial blank before I noticed the dial has a slight indent for the holes...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I have seen photos of ships phones with a cover over the dial. It does look like something of that ilk was fitted.

I'd be very interested to follow it's auction on eBay. A nice unusual piece.

Another nice find.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Sargeguy

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 20, 2018, 09:40:15 PM
Only one of the receivers that I have uncovered so far is an OST type. The only markings I see are some markings inside the receiver cap, "1370" an "H" and a backward, "MM7".  Can anyone tell me who the manufacturer was for this receiver? Perhaps a model number? Approx date?

Hello,

The OSTs were available in the 1900s and were phased out, nut still available at a discout throughout the 1910s, as far as I can tell.  You should try to clean the top with some soap and a toothbrush.  You may find it stamped "z" or "WESTERN ELECTRIC" or a serial number. The presence of markings increases the value, as it is now  would say it is worth about $100
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the suggestion, Greg.

I will see what a bit of cleaning might turn up!

Nick

Nick in Manitou

Doug,

There are no screws or pins in the holes on either side of the dial on the Navy Galion.

Nick in Manitou

Last evening as I was sorting through some misc more modern cabling infrastructure parts, I uncovered a notebook with Station Operations Manual and Bell Systems Practices from N.J. Bell Tel. CO. July 1957.

Other than some damage to the center of the first page, it seems to be in amazingly good shape.

I tried to get a shot of the Topic Tabs to give an idea of what this manual contains.

(I don't have any idea of how common these are in their original hard-copy form.)

Nick