News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How is Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) affecting your community?

Started by Jim Stettler, March 15, 2020, 10:35:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Quote from: HarrySmith on March 25, 2020, 11:17:54 AMbut why toilet paper?

An act of herd stupidity...

The reason there has been mass panic buying of the stuff is due to Australia being dependent on China producing theirs, as for some reason Oz doesn't make its own (I have a feeling some enterprising soul will be setting up papermills there now!!!), and China closed its' borders to in and outgoing travel, so people of course bought as much as they could in a mass act of greed, this ends up on the news & in online media and people with zero common sense think the same'll happen in their country too so they go out and buy it all up, even though their country does make their own loo roll (E.G. the UK has more than enough stocks and manufacturing capacity to keep us wiping for months if we're sensible, but, common senseless idiots didn't know that!), thus causing mass panic, greed and stupidity to cause such unnecessary shortages...

It's one of them sad acts of humanity which just makes the human race look like a giant flock of sheep running over a cliff...

Key2871

Well China has been making everything for many country's for years. Now things are changing real fast, and yea people are panicking still can't get toilet paper around here now either if it goes on the shelf someone is there to take it away. Some stores are limiting how much one person can buy. But big stores can't keep that person from coming back in several times to get these items.
Some one said it eirly on don't panic.
Seems that statement just created more panic.
But by nature people are selfish and want what they want, and don't care who they hurt by taking too much.
I'm concerned, I'm taking precautions and so far I'm fine. But I'm not clearing shelves to buy everything I can for me or my family.
I wonder do these people know that a shower works better than toilet paper. Takes just a couple minutes more and doesn't use toilet paper.
A wash cloth, and a washer your golden.
But I'm glad that some of these who tried to make a killing selling hand cleaner sanatizers etc got shamed or just shut down by Amazon, and other places to end that frenzy.
KEN

TelePlay

Thanks for that.

The Urban Dictionary added a new word today: Covidiot.  That covers a lot of people including the media.

That word was created after it became known that within the past day, 2 covidiots perpetrated acts of which one has been charged as bio-terrorism. It's not a joke. What happened to this country's educational system? Our humanity in the 21st century? This is a deadly serious event this year. Hopefully a vaccine will be available before next flu season when it has a good chance of reoccurring.

1) 

WARRENTON, Mo. — A man in Missouri was arrested after licking a row of products on a Walmart shelf and filming it, then posting it to social media.

Before licking the items he said, "Who's scared of the coronavirus?" The video also has text on it that reads, "I'm a nasty moths ******!!!"

The Warrenton Police Department on Monday released a statement on Facebook saying the video gained international attention. Local authorities said they received reports about the video from people as far away as the Netherlands, Ireland, and the United Kingdom.

2)

NEPTUNE, N.J. – A man is facing charges after coughing on a Wegmans employee in New Jersey and claiming he had the coronavirus, authorities said.

George Falcone, 50, of Freehold Township, was charged with making terroristic threats, harassment and obstruction after officials said he refused to identify himself or provide identification to township police for more than 40 minutes, according to a news release from the state Attorney General's Office.

Gov. Phil Murphy, who mentioned the incident at a news conference Tuesday, said police responded to a call after a man was in a confrontation with a female employee of the supermarket chain and then "coughed on the woman and told her after doing so that he had the coronavirus."

Here's the selfie . . .

Key2871

Like the two teenagers who were video taping them selves coughing on produce in a market in VA.
Why do these people have to prove them selves as idiots! That's nothing short of blatant stupidity.
Here in New Hampshire, a guy who knew he was infected chose to go to a social function anyway.
Another rode three buses in the city. What is this world coming to? People who only give a hoot about them selves and don't at the same time.
The later are those who lick things in public how gross.
Amazing how totally idiotic these people are.
What if they found out later by doing such an idiotic thing actually got the virus? What would he do then?
People are dying because of this, yet others who know they are infected ride buses, or attempt social events.
God help us all from these idiots who think only of them selves? I just can't fathom how they can do such stupid things in this time of crisis.
Well may be if these who continue to do these things ought to be brought up on charges.
Maybe if they survive they will have time to think back on how actually idiotic those stunts were.
Sure just throw the book at them.
Don't waste money on lengthy trials with expencive lawyers just put them away for a while.
Maybe in a phyc ward.
Wow, crazy!
KEN

twocvbloke

I've heard that some idiots in Scotland are going round spitting on their hands and wiping them on car doors, police are of course on the lookout for them, because that's a pretty seriously stupid thing to be doing...

Idiots like these just don't believe how dangerous the virus is, what it can do to not only them but to others, and spreading it about intentionally is a criminal offence, but they're too stupid to understand these facts!!!

This is why I keep saying that it's not the virus that worries me, it's the humans and their behaviour...

TelePlay

With respect to the above mentioned events, for some reason some just don't play well with others, do not understand their part in their natural social contract with humanity. It seems they think the established societal norms do not apply to them. Is it ignorance, stupidity, ego issues, contrarianism, peer groups, all of the above or something else which leads to their anarchy?

Well, it now seems that in these times such behavior in the US may put these miscreants in a small cell for a very long time.

=====

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has notified the nation's federal prosecutors that anyone threatening or attempting to spread the coronavirus can be charged with terrorism.

The coronavirus appears to meet the statutory definition of a biological agent, Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Rosen said in a memo sent late Tuesday to U.S. attorneys and federal law enforcement agencies, which could bring crimes related to it under terrorism statutes.

"Threats or attempts to use COVID-19 as a weapon against Americans will not be tolerated," the memo says.

Key2871

Amen! I knew that was coming. This is an extremely serious event but as John said they don't understand they need to coexist with other people. But for some reason they cannot comprehend how.
My sincere hope is this ends sooner than China's event.
But it may be even more serious as some don't understand what stay home means.
I haven't been out on the road for two days. And last I was, it was eerily strange to see on one or two others. I find get out of my truck, I just went for a brief ride through the country to ease the cabin fever.
I hope one one here is affected, but I know someone we know may be. And that's a scary thought.
Stay healthy folks.
KEN

19and41

It is at least of some comfort seeing smiling faces and pleasant countenances on the people I see when fueling and shopping.  it's good to see, especially when considering what we have hanging over our heads. The parking lot at our station has had just a handful of cars today as well.  I wonder what kind of financial hit the authority has taken.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Went to the Walmart early this morning for eggs. Plenty to choose from. Not many shoppers and everyone is keeping away from others. Nobody wearing masks but several were wearing gloves, which puzzles me in that the virus sticks to gloves the same as it does to hands and it does not enter the body through skin. If it makes them feel better, fine, but it's hands or gloves touching the face that is the dangerous move.

Things are coming back to normal now that the panic buyers no longer have any room in their homes to put their hoarded booty. Looking at the restocked shelves, it makes me smile to think what the hoarders are thinking, feeling or second guessing right now.

Toilet paper, plenty include big brand names like Charmin.
Paper towels, good supply
Raman noodles, plenty to choose from
Cereal, all brands and type on full shelves
Bread, full shelves
Frozen pizza, shelves full
Pasta, shelves full
Fresh meat, shelves are half full with every kind of meat available
Produce, totally restocked
Water, back on the shelves
Hand soaps (bar and soft), fully stocked

But, no surface spray disinfectants or hand sanitizers.

To put a cap on today's trip, found that gas is selling for $1.29 a gallon

eBay is interesting. Search for sold hand sanitizers to see what panic and shortage does to prices (second image) mid March 2020.

twocvbloke

The gloves are useful as you can remove and dispose of them, keeping the virus (and other nasties people forget to wash away) off your hands, of course this mandates that you shouldn't touch your face or any other entry point to the body while wearing them otherwise they're just another "skin" covered in nasties, and the masks are a bit of a moot point really as the majority of them available to the public are not able to stop a person inhaling the virus if airborne (E.G. from an unguarded cough or sneeze from an infected person), as they're as effective at blocking viruses as a sieve is at retaining water, the only use they do come into is if the user HAS the virus, and any coughs and sneezes are slowed down by the mask, reducing the likelihood of spreading... :)

One of the other issues is that surgical masks are often fitted to the person's face to be as close-fitting as possible, but Average Joe on the street won't have fitted it properly leaving it open around the edges, basically making it more of a decoration than a filter...

Western Bell

Quote from: twocvbloke on March 27, 2020, 12:19:14 PM
The gloves are useful as you can remove and dispose of them, keeping the virus (and other nasties people forget to wash away) off your hands, of course this mandates that you shouldn't touch your face or any other entry point to the body while wearing them otherwise they're just another "skin" covered in nasties, and the masks are a bit of a moot point really as the majority of them available to the public are not able to stop a person inhaling the virus if airborne (E.G. from an unguarded cough or sneeze from an infected person), as they're as effective at blocking viruses as a sieve is at retaining water, the only use they do come into is if the user HAS the virus, and any coughs and sneezes are slowed down by the mask, reducing the likelihood of spreading... :)

One of the other issues is that surgical masks are often fitted to the person's face to be as close-fitting as possible, but Average Joe on the street won't have fitted it properly leaving it open around the edges, basically making it more of a decoration than a filter...

exacftly and soasp and water is a lot more plentiuful a nd chaeper than gloves

FABphones

Thanks to all for their ongoing updates. And nice to read some good news on this thread too.

Glove info as mentioned by teleplay backed up here, with additional info too:
https://www.france24.com/en/20200327-grocery-shopping-amid-the-pandemic-which-protective-measures-should-we-take

Today it was announced the lockdown in France is to be extended until April 15th.

Wishing good health to all.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

In case you may find this interesting, this was just published today at

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/cellphone-heat-map-coronavirus-potential-spread-from-travel

and is both an interesting and scary look at a few realities. The companies stated in bold below can do this, track phones from space.

The article says this of the source: "Heat maps that show cellphone location data in the U.S. paint a disturbing picture of the potential spread of coronavirus as the country grapples with lockdown measures and tries to stem the virus' tide.

Tectonix, geospatial data visualization platform, working in partnership with location company X-Mode Social, created an alarming map that shows the impact of ignoring social distancing restrictions.

Focusing on just one group of spring break revelers on part of one beach in mid-March when they left Fort Lauderdale, Fla., it quickly becomes obvious that the thousands of people who were at the beach ended up all over the country -- in the Midwest, the Northeast and other parts of the South."

The maps below have poor resolution thanks to YouTube suspending HD videos, everything seems to be SD for the time being due to stay at home internet usage.

The first map shows all active cell phones world wide on a given day or hour taken during the annual migration of college students enjoying their spring break on the warm Florida beaches, an annual thing for decades.

Second map is zoomed in to the south east United States

Third map is further zoomed in to the Fort Lauderdale area in Florida

Fourth map is further zoomed in to the Fort Lauderdale beach area

Fifth map show the active cell phones on only the beach have been selected or tagged

Sixth map shows the location of all those phones, the phones of those students who were not practicing the 6' social distancing request, some time a week or so after the spring break ended.

The phones spread out from one small, crowded beach to cities from Atlanta to the greater Chicago area to the state of Michigan and all points east of that line, where all of the major universities and colleges were located. If the maps had a better resolution, one could pick out the university cities.

This shows how the virus is spread by thoughtless behavior putting many more than just the college students in jeopardy. Italy was just the opposite where many of the Chinese peoples living and working in the garment industry of northern Italy went back home for the Chinese New Year in February and returned to congregate in the smaller northern Italy where they were working and caused the hot area now hitting that area of Italy.

This is one of many sites that detail this problem in norther Italy

https://www.rebellionresearch.com/blog/northern-italy-wuhan-partners-for-better-or-worse

"Why has Italy suffered so catastrophically from this virus that originated out of Wuhan, China?

The answer lies in the connection between northern Italy and Wuhan, China. Two very seemingly distant geographies are actually extremely tied together.

Italy was the first country to offer direct flights from Europe to China 50 years ago and was also the first G-7 country to embrace China's Belt and Road Initiative.

Northern Italy has a very prosperous fashion and apparel industry. Many of the most famous brands around the world from Gucci to Prada originated in the region. As China has offered cheaper manufacturing for their apparel factories, more and more Italian fashion houses have outsourced work to China, and specifically to Wuhan.

Italy created direct flights from Wuhan and allowed over 100,000 citizens from China to move to Italy and work in their factories. In addition, as the Chinese became increasingly wealthy over the last two decades, more and more Chinese citizens moved to northern Italy to reside and many Chinese purchased Italian firms.

Today there are now more than 300,000 Chinese nationals living in Italy, according to Fortune Magazine, and over 90% of them work in Italy's garment industry."

But this reply is the inverse to what happened to Northern Italy. Hoards of students intent on 24/7 parties congregated on a small beach for a week without concern for the spreading virus and when the week was over, they then spread out, went back home or to school.

=====

I found the existence of these cell phones both interesting a scary reality of who's watching who, or can watch who and who knows at what level. Shows the reality of unconcerned behavior by some, or many. At least it's a good example of how disease spreads, any communicable disease.

Quote from: TelePlay on March 27, 2020, 08:16:22 PM
I found the existence of these cell phones both interesting a scary reality of who's watching who, or can watch who and who knows at what level. Shows the reality of unconcerned behavior by some, or many. At least it's a good example of how disease spreads, any communicable disease.

Very interesting John. Thanks for posting.