News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dietz Little Giant with Little Wizard Red Globe.

Started by ....., May 20, 2020, 03:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Found this today at a local thrift shop. Stores are now open here with distance restrictions. 
Dietz Little Giant with Little Wizard Red Globe.
70 hour fount capacity.
I have no idea of it's age.

twocvbloke

TelePlay

Post WW-II with factory paint over terne plating. They stopped stamping the manufacture date on the air tubes when the had to paint them to prevent rust outs of the terne plating. Terne did not come close to tin plating to prevent corrosion.

It's a little giant with a smaller wick and larger tank to get 70 hours. Has a little wizard globe, interchangeable globe.

Same lantern with a special, smaller 3/8" wick called a "Special 100" burns for 100 hours.

Quote from: TelePlay on May 21, 2020, 03:02:46 AM
Post WW-II with factory paint over terne plating. They stopped stamping the manufacture date on the air tubes when the had to paint them to prevent rust outs of the terne plating. Terne did not come close to tin plating to prevent corrosion.

It's a little giant with a smaller wick and larger tank to get 70 hours. Has a little wizard globe, interchangeable globe.

Same lantern with a special, smaller 3/8" wick called a "Special 100" burns for 100 hours.

Thanks for the information John.

It balances out the curtain rod with the red Junior on the other side. LOL  :)

No, I'm not starting a lantern collection, the Junior is from my late brother and the giant just caught my eye. 

TelePlay

For reference, here is my 1954 terne plated No. 100 Special lantern that was not factory painted for some reason. It's the same as the Little Giant except for an even larger tank and a 100 hour burn time. It also came with a Little Wizard globe (everything from the tank up on both lanterns is the Little Wizard). The Wizard uses a 5/8" wide wick, the Giant and Special use a 3/8" wide wick (same wick as used in the Comet mini-lantern).

The lantern is presented in this topic.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23926.msg238574#new