News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cancelled bids on eBay

Started by shadow67, August 04, 2020, 10:27:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

Is it normal to be winning on an eBay auction, only to have the seller cancel the auction and repost at a much higher price? Does anyone else see this or am I just a lucky one? Seems to be happening to me more often recently. I would think if you offer something for bid, if you don't state a reserve price you should take the highest bid. Grrr

Jack Ryan

That happens.

Some sellers have a stress if it looks like their items will sell for what they think is a low price.

Probably never bothered to work out how to set a reserve.

Jack

FABphones

I have seen this happen many times. The trend amongst bidders is to bid in the last few seconds, if the seller loses their nerve (because the bidding price is lower than they want) and pulls the auction early, they don't get to see that happen.

Another seller ruse is to cancel a sale after the auction ends because 'item is damaged'. Have had this happen a few times too.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tubaman

Personally I think it's very bad form to do this. I always set the start price as the absolute minimum I'm prepared to accept for an item. I know this isn't as attractive to buyers as a £0.99 start price, but I don't think it's acceptable to pull an auction because the item doesn't go as high as you want it to. Years ago I managed this by setting a reserve price, but when the minimum allowable reserve became £50 I stopped (and you get charged a fee of 4% of the reserve price even if you don't sell).
:)

countryman

Cancelling auctions does not happen "here" any more, since a German court has decided that the seller owes the item to the last bidder if he cancels the auction for no reason.
Reserve prices aren't as attractive on the German eBay, too. Most sellers now use realistic starting prices.
A lot of offers have resorted to eBay classified ads. There all kinds of asking prices can be found... If it's too high, it never sells, simple as that  :)

shadow67

I inquired to the seller, who replied they were "tired of being low-balled on phone prices". If a bidder wins an auction they are expected to pay up when the auction is over. If a seller puts up something for bid they should be expected to honor the highest bid. Ok rant over. It is what it is. Thanks for all the replies.

HarrySmith

Quote from: shadow67 on August 05, 2020, 08:42:11 AM
I inquired to the seller, who replied they were "tired of being low-balled on phone prices". If a bidder wins an auction they are expected to pay up when the auction is over. If a seller puts up something for bid they should be expected to honor the highest bid. Ok rant over. It is what it is. Thanks for all the replies.
You can contact eBay about it. Buyers have rights too. That message he sent back to you would make a good case in your favor since he has no valid reason for not completing the sale.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"