News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beware of a little bug on eBay that may lead to inflated Values of telephones...

Started by PilotAndy1994, February 01, 2021, 08:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PilotAndy1994

This is something I became aware of whilst watching my own items sell:

say you have an item listed BIN on eBay, and you have several watchers. eBay now lets you send offers to those watchers every once in a while, and if you're lucky - you'll get a bite! There's a little caveat to this, though.

Now that the buyer has agreed to *your* offer, and they did not make an offer themselves, the price that phone shows as being sold for is the retail number the seller listed it at. There's a neat trick on watchcount.com where you could look at a ebay listing's source code and find out  what the best offer was - not for this trick! Watchcount.com only shows you the offer price an item sold at, when the *buyer* made the initial offer!

This could potentially skew the "mindset" values for phones in the coming years on eBay - or until they fix the bug.

Hope you could smell what I'm stepping in.

Thanks,

Jim Stettler

It also happens when you make a low ball offer on a BIN or no-offer phone.

My clear NE rendezvous was listed at $550.00 BIN, I agreed on price before listing was $100.00
I was talking with seller about a different phone and she told me about the clear set. I made an offer and she set BIN at $550.00 w/ auto accept for $100.00
It shows as $550.00 on eBay.  This has been happening for over a year.

On listed items, sellers can chose to accept an offer , even if they did not include the option in there listing.
If they do, then their original price shows as the sell price.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.