News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Black Palco Curious 500 Clone with non-standard dial markings

Started by allnumbedup, May 03, 2021, 06:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allnumbedup

I found this black 500 clone in a FB marketplace lot I got for $20.  The handset is labeled "Palco" and the case is 100% unmarked. The base, network, and ringer  is 1961 Western Electric with replacement feet and it has a new-ish heavily plastic Northern Telecom labeled dial. The handset elements look like ITT.  Everything works though. This company has been discussed before but I found no "PTI" markings on this phone:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2064.msg28120#msg28120

The thing I think is most interesting is that the number and letter font on the dial is different than standard.  It seems to me that WE 500 and their ITT and SC clones all had dial numbers and letters that were true identical 'clones'.  This Palco handset is rounder in shape than a WE and the caps have a distinct rim on them as well.  Palco must have been a big enough refurbisher to mold their own plastics--or maybe they had to for trademark protection reasons. I think "Palco" is a friendly name for a phone company.
Analog Phones for a Digital World

Jim Stettler

Quote from: allnumbedup on May 03, 2021, 06:41:23 PM
I found this black 500 clone in a FB marketplace lot I got for $20.  The handset is labeled "Palco" and the case is 100% unmarked. The base, network, and ringer  is 1961 Western Electric with replacement feet and it has a new-ish heavily plastic Northern Telecom labeled dial. The handset elements look like ITT.  Everything works though. This company has been discussed before but I found no "PTI" markings on this phone:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2064.msg28120#msg28120

The thing I think is most interesting is that the number and letter font on the dial is different than standard.  It seems to me that WE 500 and their ITT and SC clones all had dial numbers and letters that were true identical 'clones'.  This Palco handset is rounder in shape than a WE and the caps have a distinct rim on them as well.  Palco must have been a big enough refurbisher to mold their own plastics--or maybe they had to for trademark protection reasons. I think "Palco" is a friendly name for a phone company.

I would of paid $20.00 for that oddball set.
It is very cool and worth $20 for oddity.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

allnumbedup

I fixed up the Palco and added a wacky dial card I made by copying the logo on the handset.  I also switched out the 1961 WE base for a 2500 base dated 1983--same date as the NT dial. It took me a while to figure out the dial--the network wiring excluded the dial and the plastic NT dial didn't quite fit the 2500 keypad brackets.  The cord is a thicker one to match the large mousehole better. I repurposed a round coaxial cable and added a tiny two spade- to- RJ biscuit box that I like but haven't been able to find more of for a while.

(I have also been working on a later white push button princess and two AD1 small button trimlines I got in this lot)
Analog Phones for a Digital World