News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ever accidentally won on eBay?

Started by deedubya3800, October 07, 2010, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpaynter1066

I was bidding on a hot item and tried to use the bid by phone thing for ebay and accidentially bid  $ 99,000 somehow instead of  $99  and just as I was trying to retract the bid I lost cell phone contact as I was in the mountains. By the time I regained connection the Item was up to  $600 as a couple of determined big pocket collectors were determined to have it. I guess they got caught up in the auction and way overbid on it, thinking I must know something they didnt. Which was true, I knew I only had $ 99 and a couple of ramen noodle packs to eat for the rest of the week.

DavePEI

Quote from: dpaynter1066 on March 31, 2012, 11:22:50 AM
I was bidding on a hot item and tried to use the bid by phone thing for ebay and accidentially bid  $ 99,000 somehow instead of  $99  and just as I was trying to retract the bid I lost cell phone contact as I was in the mountains. By the time I regained connection the Item was up to  $600 as a couple of determined big pocket collectors were determined to have it. I guess they got caught up in the auction and way overbid on it, thinking I must know something they didnt. Which was true, I knew I only had $ 99 and a couple of ramen noodle packs to eat for the rest of the week.

Ouch! I hope it was something worthwhile you won!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I managed to win an AE 40 lamp with shade for opening price of $9.99 and it was potentially within local pickup range of me. Then the seller told me he had another almost identical one that I could have for $9.99 as well. That definitely made picking them up worthwhile!

I sort of like Phone Lamps as long as hey aren't some super rare phone that has been destroyed. AE 40 lamps are another good use for a plentiful antique phone in my opinion. Remco and Gary G saw them in January at my cabin.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on March 31, 2012, 01:25:35 PM
I sort of like Phone Lamps as long as hey aren't some super rare phone that has been destroyed. AE 40 lamps are another good use for a plentiful antique phone in my opinion. Remco and Gary G saw them in January at my cabin.

Terry
I want a Strowger 11 digit Candlestick lamp! With a simple shade covered in sequins :)
Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

If you find one be sure to ask if he has another for your friend in Vancouver!

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: AE_collector on March 31, 2012, 01:37:48 PM
If you find one be sure to ask if he has another for your friend in Vancouver!

Terry
:)
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

One time I bidded on an item and accidently put the decimal point in the wrong place. Got lucky though, I got the item for 15.00 instead of $250!
Howard

Sargeguy

I was planning on selling my extra 20-B candlestick.  I saw one on eBay that was at for $207.50 with 37 bids and several hours to go.  I wanted to see how much one would go for, and I put in a bid of $209 to see the results of the bidding war.  It eventually sold a few hours later for ...$209.  Ouch. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409