"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

CRPF Award for "Worst Picture of an eBay auction item"

Started by AE_Collector, December 06, 2010, 01:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 04, 2015, 08:11:31 PM
The rotary version of the "Big Button Phone"!

Terry
This put me into "memory mode"
I remember when Southwestern Bell was pushing Touch Tone service, they had ads on TV with the concept "What if Push Buttons hadn't been invented?" And proceeded to show cases where a rotary dial was used instead of a keypad: (2 I remember) 
- Calculator
- Elevator - the elevator had a huge dial with something like 30 finger holes to "dial your floor"

I wish I had a copy on tape (couldn't find it online...).  Wouldn't be surprised if the other Baby Bells had a similar ad...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Seller listed this 302 as a

"1940 Western Electric 302 Rotary Dial Telephone #5 Dial Pristine #`s $ Letters"

at http://www.ebay.com/itm/281779168587 which ends in less than two days for $26 plus $13 shipping, but no bids so far,

and with this description:  "1940 302 Western Electric Rotary Dial Telephone Number 5 Dial The Dial is marked in red 5 H 49 The dial is pristine the Number`s And Letters The Porcelain Dial Is Pristine no hair lines or cracks the dial moves smooth the Celluloid number card is pristine there is a small nick beside the finger stop The F1 Hand set is complete  and no damage The 302 has a thick Spaghetti hand set cord. The 302 will need a base cord  The Bottom plate and shoes are in good condition. Over all the 302 has lots of luster."

I wonder why? Might be a great phone but hard to tell from the photos. I got burned a few times buying phones with good pictures so this would be a black box flyer for me.

I just don't get it. All the hassle of creating a listing and having what may be a fine item and then using these photos to sell it. A reasonably good digital camera cost about the same as this phone. All in my humble opinion, of course. But, I just don't get it . . .

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on August 24, 2015, 07:35:08 PM
Seller listed this 302 as a

"1940 Western Electric 302 Rotary Dial Telephone #5 Dial Pristine #`s $ Letters"

at http://www.ebay.com/itm/281779168587 which ends in less than two days for $26 plus $13 shipping, but no bids so far, . . .

Well, it didn't sell with a requested starting bid of $26 plus $13 shipping so the seller relisted it with a requested starting bid of $35.60, plus $13 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271968647162   ( dead link 02-16-21 )

Same photos, go figure . . .

HarrySmith

Great selling strategy! First, make sure nobody can see any details of the item and if it doesn't sell the first time around relist it for a higher price! Brilliant!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on August 29, 2015, 06:56:04 PM
It's fuzzy logic!

And it's back as a 4th relist (original - $26.50; 1st relist - $35.60; 2nd relist - $25.60; 3rd relist - $25.60; Current listing - $21.60) at its lowest price ever but the same fuzzy pictures. I can't imagine why this phone doesn't sell . . .   

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Western-Electric-302-Rotary-Dial-Telephone-5-Dial-Pristine-s-Letters-/281798262249 ( dead link 02-16-21 )

andre_janew

The photos are so blurry, they make the ones I took of my 5302 look clear!

DiaLen

Beyond the poor photography is the issue of why did the seller tear the phone apart? I would hesitate to buy it based on the fact that it's been disassembled needlessly. Who knows what the buyer will end up with.
What a shame.
Be faithful to the commitments of your life.

andre_janew

I agree with you.  When I sold my 5302, the only parts I took out were the handset elements.  I did, however, show pictures of the insides of the phone.  I didn't disassemble it like this seller did.  The way I did it was the way a lot of sellers were doing it at the time.  I think the way I did it was the right way to do it.  I can understand your hesitation to buy from this seller.  Will he be able to put it back together right or will he ship me a bunch of parts?

zaphod01

Another contribution from a frequent flyer on this thread. Turned out to be a very nice 20-B converted to a 20AL. First image is supposed to show the 20AL punch on the front of the solid perch. Turned out to be a very nice phone with an excellent 1904 side screw base.

Bought the other 20-B he had listed and got both for about $180 including shipping. Photos on second 20-B were so poor they didn't indicate a trip to ye old lamp-maker. Receiver was in great shape other than the coat of GOLD PAINT. I spent several hours getting that darn paint removed. Perch wasn't ground down and it will make a nice phone. Perch, transmitter face plate and switch hook are plated. Best original nickel I've seen in a while.

"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart

DavePEI

My favorite in this thread is Terry's "Time Tunnel", which started out the thread. Then Briny found the Warner Brothers Loony Tunes Logo which is a near perfect match! It is amazing what can come through a worm hole, even Bugs bunny!

That one was a classic!
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Great pictures Zaphod01. As we know, EBay is all about good marketing!

And yes, that Time Tunnel picture still makes me laugh every time I see it Dave. I saw that picture on ebay years ago and instantly thought "Time for a new topic on CRPF"!

Terry

Tech&Music

Quote from: zaphod01 on January 18, 2015, 06:24:12 AM
Notice the upside down BS button in the upper right hand corner.

I think I would have edited that out...
Haha, I have that exact button! Very useful for BS ads on the Internet :)

WEBellSystemChristian

This one probably takes the cake as 'relevant but least informative';

www.ebay.com/itm/111862199632
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford