"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Compact AE32 Subset wiring for Automatic Electric 1A Telephone

Started by handworn, May 20, 2012, 09:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Matt,
        O K , back to the dial then. On yours I see that the shunt springs are in a different sequence than mine in picture. On my dial all shunt contacts are open until you move the dial. When the dial is rotated all the shunt contacts are closed which places separate shunts around the transmitter and the receiver during dialing to stop the loud pops of the impluse contacts making and breaking. I haven't seen this type of arrangement before . This is the only thing I can see that might cause your problem as Harry and Larry suggested.  Picture shows different types of dial spring arrangements. Your dial looks like a D-730535-A which would be used for different wiring  subsets. This might be the reason for strange wiring when you got the phone .
          After all the work you have done, I think you can take it apart and rearrange it to work IF the brass stem is long enought to activate the contacts. Yes, move the middle contact ,with stem , to the outside. Don't break off the ceramic end . I think it will work. If not you will need another dial or the right set of contacts.  Hope this cures your problem ;D
                                                         stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Stub:

The dial picture you posted is Matt's Dial or a different "normal" dial? If Matt's dial is an "odd one" maybe that helps explain the bridging strap that was missing on Matt's dial initially.

Kudo's to BOTH of you for hanging in there with this project. Stub for spending countless hours researching, taking pictures and posting pictures and scans for Matt (and many other people on this list), and he does all of this on Dial Up Internet access. And to Matt for not giving up and/or disappearing from here in the middle of this project.  I have seen others asking for help here throw in the towel way too soon never to be heard from again.

Terry

stub

Terry,
        The dial pic above is mine for reference , Matt's dial is on the 1st page.
         I believe if we can get those shunt springs back in the way my ( pic posted) dial is, that this baby will be fixed. If we have to , he can send it to me and it will work, one way or another!!!
          I just wished we could talk on the phone instead of all the typing :'(    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

I just took a close look at the back of the dial in first picture in this thread, and I am about 99.8% convinced that someone dismantled the shunt spring stack and put it back together in the wrong order.  I have the identical dial on my desk next to me now, and I can see how that could happen.  It should be a very quick and simple fix.

Larry

poplar1

In any case, if the phone is wired for the correct dial (and not the dial as currently misconstructed), then the wires on the right side in the picture (where the 3 contacts are) can be safely removed and isolated while testing---they should make (connect together) only while the dial is operating.

The only difference is the loud pops in your ear while dialing so you don't want to hold the receiver near your ear. If you still don't have dial tone (and the pulsing contacts on the other side are making contact), then, again, it is not the dial that is the problem.

OR---since there is nothing on the 3rd terminal from the left, you could move the wire on  the far right to this terminal since 3 and 4 appear to be open except (I assume) when dialing.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

stub

Matt,
      Does your phone have a wiring label on the base cover? Could you post a pic of the base #'s and diagram? It would be very interesting to try to figure out how this unit was wired and what designation # AE gave to it. 8)
      Here's what I found out about your dial-  AE Bulletin No. 1015 - Jan. 1, 1929 - pg. 28 - my pic # 004 calls it a D-730343-A on the type 24 dial . That would explain the missing link and the strange wiring . This is a real dial spring arrangement and not home made.
      In AE Catalog 4055 - June 25,1934 - pg 28 they changed the number to  D- 730535-A on the 24 type dial.
      In AE Catalog 4055-A - June  1937 - pg 32 they changed the numbers again to - AK-26 on the 24A36 dial and the rest of my info call it a AK-26 . I've never seen this arangement before.
       Terry this would be a nice one to start a AE Phone Code Survey on !!!!  Again, any other information would be greatly apprecitated!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Hi Stub,

Yes, there's a label, though partial.  Here's a photo and a closeup photo of the dial spring assembly.  I haven't removed it so I don't know if there's a model number on it.  As you can see there's an oval reading "A.E. Inc. / Type 24 / Made in U.S.A." on the back of the dial to the right of the spring assembly.

I haven't called you because you're home so late.  If you want to try it some other time of day let me know, although I'll be leaving for about ten days' vacation this Friday.

Thanks!

stub

Handworn,
                DON"T CHANGE your springs , the stem is too short to work!! You will need a new set with the stem that is long enough to operate the contacts!!!!!!! You can change the middle contact out with a longer stem one. Let me see if I can find one in some of the old dials I have.
                You are just about done!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Well, I wasn't going to mess with the springs without any idea what I was doing.  What's the stem, and why is it too short to work?  I don't know enough about how these things are supposed to work to understand.

Quote from: stub on August 07, 2012, 02:15:50 PM
Handworn,
                DON"T CHANGE your springs , the stem is too short to work!! You will need a new set with the stem that is long enough to operate the contacts!!!!!!! You can change the middle contact out with a longer stem one. Let me see if I can find one in some of the old dials I have.
                You are just about done!!!!  stub

stub

Matt,
        Try this as a last resort, place a piece of paper in between the last contact on the right of your dial, like mine in pic. and leave it there and call again and see if it will work without moving the dial. If it is wired right it should work. Let me know.  Your diagram is correct, and looks easier to use than the one I posted , use it to double check your wiring if it doesn't work. The subset wires go- phone 1 to induction coil 1 ,phone 2 to induction coil 2 , 3 to 3, 4 to 4. BTW I'm home most of the time if you want to call. 7am to 10 pm Central Time    
       Here's a pic of the Dial Spring Assembly that you need with the long stem .The one on yours is too short. On your dial ,Type 24 and the  24A36's, the sping assembly with come off with 2 screws and you can replace it as a whole unit(pic 003- impluse and shunt). That would be the easiest . Does the last contact on the right of your dial have a hole in it in line with the brass stem on the middle contact?
       The dials I have are for the 182's and 192's and won't work to good (shape and style are different).  
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Hi Ken,

It did work.  I got ringtone at the normal volume without turning the dial.  (A cool moment!)

I assume that your screwdriver in the picture is pointing to the stem?  Of course I can't tell for certain, but mine looks about as long as it should be according to the picture.  Also, in your picture, it looks as if the stem and the central golden thing are not supposed to be touching.  In mine they are touching when it's at rest, though when the dial is turning the central thing of course turns away from the stem.

I'd rather not replace the entire thing if I can avoid it, for the same quirky reasons I had for wanting the original subset to work without the workaround that someone mentioned.

handworn

I also notice that in yours, the element at the far left with the squiggle at the bottom is touching the irregularly shaped thing at the bottom that spins only when you release the dial after having turned it.  On mine it's not touching when at rest.  Significant?

stub

Matt,
        Attach that piece of paper on the dial so it won't fall off and try to dial your cell from this phone and see if it will connect.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Matt,
         Did it dial out correctly?  You can call me now if you like and we can talk about  the rest of the fix.   You will get the computer answering machine and I will call you back because I only have this one line.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

handworn

Yes, it connected.

Quote from: stub on August 07, 2012, 08:31:49 PM
Matt,
        Attach that piece of paper on the dial so it won't fall off and try to dial your cell from this phone and see if it will connect.    stub