News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Bad Ebay Experience

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 12, 2012, 09:49:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Dave, how could you tell the seller was bidding?  Cowboy has 149 feedback.  I don't see any of the bidders with a feedback score of 149 on that list of bids (on the original listing).

~Dennis

wds

The winning bidder was 2***o (448).  If you look that bidder up, he has been bidding with the same seller over and over.  Minutes after the auction ended, the item was relisted, and I didn't get a 2nd chance offer.  Ebay confirmed that both accounts were his, and he had been doing this for a while.

I noticed that the new listing has been with cancelled.  I wonder if he did that, or Ebay ?  How cool to actually win one for the good guys!
Dave

unbeldi

wds

This seller is pretty brazen about bidding up his own items.  If he had listed it as a new item, I would never have caught him.  He has done this so many times (according to Ebay) that he just re lists the item without worrying about the consequences.  I noticed that the listing for the receiver has been pulled, but he still has other items for sale, which tells me that Ebay doesn't seem to care either. 

So how does a seller like that still have a 100% rating?  I still think it's important to give proper feedback to Sellers - if they don't deserve positive feedback then don't give it to them.
Dave

baldopeacock

Quote from: wds on March 26, 2013, 07:05:15 AM
So how does a seller like that still have a 100% rating? 

If he bids on, and wins, his own item I guess he can provide his own feedback.  or... ?

wds

Never thought of that.  I guess when you open a new ebay account the best way to build up your ratings is to buy things from yourself, leave positive feedback, then cancel the sale and relist.  Excellent!
Dave

twocvbloke

I was just looking through my ebay history, and I have left negative feedback, but it's very little, and with very good reason (scam artists, people not bothering to send items, buyers not paying, one individual demanding more money for postage after I paid for the item and his specified postage on the listing, etc.), and a couple of neutrals where things didn't work out for whatever reason...

The rest of my feedback is always positive, it's just a case where a few idiots can spoil the fun for thousands, and those few are the ones that get kicked off of ebay as a result... :)

poplar1

Perhaps you or another ebay seller can explain how the "shipping calculator" works. Is it possible that sometimes the stated amount is way off, and that is why the seller asks for more money even though you have already paid?

Some sellers say "ignore the shipping calculator" (celnout, for example); others have very high or very low shipping, but sometimes--not often---if you scroll down, they show other shipping methods that are cheaper. Or, the buyer can negotiate the shipping cost.  If it says priority mail, I ask for parcel post or UPS. Some sellers refuse to use anything but priority mail. (I guess it is the free boxes and free tape).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on March 26, 2013, 07:05:15 AM
So how does a seller like that still have a 100% rating?

Easy when YOU are your ONLY CUSTOMER!

Terry

unbeldi

The eBay feedback system is a mockery. For the most part it just serves to make people feel better and vent some frustration.  Usually when I am not satisfied I leave no response. I left negative feedback however, recently, when a vendor simply refused to acknowledge a defect that was not disclosed and so obvious. A phone had terrible audio performance while being advertised as perfect. When I investigated, I found the handset was only connected by 2 wires instead of 3. The 3rd wire didn't even have a lug on it.  As soon as I notified the vendor in friendly manner, he blacklisted me from his other auctions, and refused to address the issue. Previously I had a very nice dialogue with him and he even promised to look for some phones for me. Finally, after not receiving any answers, I left negative feedback, upon which he accused me in a report to eBay of blackmailing him by threatening negative feed back, which is against eBay policy. I got some nasty message from eBay about this. He got my negative feedback erased from his account.
The seller was triple7design, he sells a lot of quite nice phones on eBay, but I will not do business with him again. I bought a very expensive phone from him, two actually.

twocvbloke

The problem with ebay is it's easy to manipulate on both sides, all you have to do is act as the innocent who has been hurt and ebay bends over backwards to ruin the reputation of buyers or sellers because one bad guy wants to have everything run their way and not ebay's way... :-\

Nick in Manitou

Unbeldi,

I have added "xxx" to the list I am keeping (mostly from this thread) of eBay vendors to be very cautious of.

Moderator's note: Please do not post seller's IDs or names to the forum in a negative context. Doing so could leave the forum liable. If you must do so, do it in private emails. Dave

unbeldi

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on March 26, 2013, 08:52:00 PM
Unbeldi,

I have added "XXX" to the list I am keeping (mostly from this thread) of eBay vendors to be very cautious of.

I think that is well advised, thanks, although I hate being negative about others. I was totally stunned and perplexed by his behavior. I spend a total of over $600 with him, chatted with him what additional phones of his I would be bidding on, and when I did try to bid, I found out he had blocked me.

Doug Rose

Seller bashing has been around since long before I have been selling on eBay. There are always two sides to every story. I think when a reputable seller is brought on the loud because of a disagreement, there is a problem with what we are doing on the Forum. I sure wouldn't be happy if it was me. The seller does not get to air their side, the buyer is judge and jury. Forum finds them guilty by posting their ID. Rethink this!

Next time anyone writes an email, read it before you send it. Emails make us very Brave. Things are said in emails that never ever would be said in a face to face conversation. Any time negative feedback enters the conversation, a line has been crossed. It is a threat, if I don't get my way, you will pay; one way or another.

Everytime you buy something on eBay, it is from a seller. How many bad experiences do you have? If it is too numerous to mention, maybe the answer lay in the mirror.

99% of eBay sellers try to keep the customer satisfied as return business is its own reward. The plain fact is sometimes you cannot satisfy the customer, no matter what you do.

Item not as described is another issue on eBay. Buyer becomes the expert and the seller is left to be wrong. Fair?

I really think some thought should be put into these type chains. Next time you go looking to buy something on eBay, there might not be any sellers left. ....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 27, 2013, 06:39:51 AM
Seller bashing has been around since long before I have been selling on eBay. There are always two sides to every story. I think when a reputable seller is brought on the loud because of a disagreement, there is a problem with what we are doing on the Forum. I sure wouldn't be happy if it was me. The seller does not get to air their side, the buyer is judge and jury. Forum finds them guilty by posting their ID. Rethink this!
I agree - the seller name and handle shouldn't be posted.

However, it IS OK to post the situation.
I know Doug, you will always defend the seller - that is natural.
But remember, there are bad sellers on ebay, just as there are bad buyers. If one could filter out the two, then it would be a perfect world.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001