News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Telephone Collection Pictures - AE_Collector

Started by AE_Collector, April 13, 2010, 12:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

I am going to try to get a few pictures started here. I really need to work at getting some better and more up to date pictures of my collection but here is one to start. I went with IKEA "Billy" book shelves when I renovated the Family Room a few years ago. They are relatively inexpensive and I picked many of them up in IKEA's discount centre for an even lower price. Eventually I decided to add the glass doors which somewhat limits the viewability of the phones but keeps the dust off as well. This is one of two walls in my familyroom that are covered in phones.

Terry

stub

Terry,
           Very nice shelves and you can't go wrong when you put that many phones in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice looking collection of phones  !!!!!!
            I guess in time I need to add more color to my phones!!!  Please post more pics when you get the time!!!!

Last time I was in British Columbia was in 1957. Plane landed to get more chewing gum . They were out , because some little kid ate it all !!!!!
                 stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AET

Wow, that's a heck of a collection you've got there!
- Tom

Greg G.

I like the idea of putting them behind glass doors to keep the dust off.  I should do that to my entire apt.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Terry:

Very nice displays. For your information, Vern has determined that dust is a natural phone fading protector.  ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on April 13, 2010, 01:54:46 PM
Terry:

Very nice displays. For your information, Vern has determined that dust is a natural phone fading protector.  ;D ;D ;D

Yeah good point Jorge. Maybe I need tinted glass in my display cabinet doors to try to prevent further fading.

Terry

Jim Stettler

My dream shelves were floor to ceiling oak shelfs w/ a glass front. I was even justifing the $5-600 price. I just can't afford them at the moment. The are still on the wish list tho.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Excellent display Terry!  Great variety, and all those colors, very sweet.  When we had the windows in our house replaced a few years back we installed new ones which block all the UV light to reduce fading of everything.  They also block most of the heat transfer as well, and we've noticed that stuff does not get hot even when sitting directly in the sun.  But I've read that fluorescent lamps can cause fading, so I try to keep my phones from being too close to them. 

Great sign as well.  And what's up with our eras endless fondness for dumping perfectly good company names and changing them to some bizarre buzzword sounding pseudo word? 

Here are my suggestions for some new hip new meaningless names in the spirit of the age:

McDonalds becomes Maxxfud

AT&T becomes Synerfon

Union Pacific becomes Ralilkwik

General Motors becomes g2

AE_Collector

Yes..."Low E" glass I think they call it. The room where my display cabinets are located has glass on the south side letting lots of sunlight in. We replaced a giant sliding door with more modern doors that have glass panels in them and fortunately we went with Low E glass. The doors / glass were changed out before the room became the "phone room".

I think all light has an affect on plastic phones but I have seen some hideous fading on phones from offices that were in areas primarily lit with flourescent light. I too am convinced that flourescent light is very bad for phones.

Very creative "new" company names!

Phonesrfun

Terry:

That is an absolutely beautiful display!  Great job.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Okay, I am going to try to add some more pictures here...

The first two are pictures from 2005 when I FINALLY got a start at setting up my phone display in our Family Room. We were repainting and decorating and I got the "Go Ahead" to display some phones on a couple of the walls. I just used the basic white IKEA Billy Bookshelves.

These first two pictures were before the doors were on and even before the cabinets were full to overflowing. I am holding my prize "catch" for the year 2005. 29 Pounds of solid bronze that was found in a scrap metal bin at one of our local CO's that had just unceremoniously been rebranded from "The British Columbia Telephone Company" to the new "Telus" name.

The 3rd & 4th pictures are once the doors were finally on and some of the larger wooden phones were mounted on the wall above the Ikea cabinets. The glass doors for the Book Shelves came when they were clearing out the last of the old ones at Ikea as there was a small redesign made to the new doors. Right place at the right time.

Terry

AE_Collector

Here are the 12 AE 80 Colors (12 if you include black) along with some of the AE 80E colors that I have managed to snag. These pictures are all from 2005 or 2006.

Terry

AE_Collector

Some AE 182 Starlites, 981 Desk Stylelines and 982 Wall Stylelines.

Terry

AE_Collector

My Original two "Beater" colored AE sets. I have a couple more now but I still specialize in "beaters"! Look how shrunken that poor red 40 is! Everything I have is still waiting for some sort of restoration....

Terry

AE_Collector

I have a few candlesticks, some of them in the first picture here. Then a couple of wooden phones that I had on display in the Family Room for years prior to the redecorating and installing the Billy Bookcases. Oh, and then a couple of my 3 slot payphones.

Terry