News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tonyrotary's Phones

Started by Tonyrotary, March 26, 2009, 02:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonyrotary

Here is my only phone right now in my collection, a NE 554. The picture shows it darker than it really is. I also have a white Princess on the way and the wife said she wants to buy me a Ericofone.

AET

Tony, I love your 554!  We must have had one just like it once upon a time or something, because it looks like I've looked at it many times before, right down to the dial card!
- Tom

BDM

Nice Tony. You know the bug only bites harder and harder as time goes on.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Tonyrotary

Thanks guys. Yeah it is pretty nice and it sounds better than my more modern 5.8GHZ cordless phones. As far as the bug biting harder, geez I have a Princess phone on the way and my wife is looking at a nice Ericofone for me. I suppose there is no cure....lol.

McHeath

One thing that surprised me when I got into old phones was how much better they sounded when using them vs. modern cordless phones.  I'd forgot that they really were a cut above, and geez they make cell phones sound like a tin can with a string.  One day I was shocked when my wife went over to the 354 and dialed a call, when I asked her why she was picking it over the cordless and her cell she said that it had the best sound of any phone in the house. 

Brought a tear to me eye. :)

AET

Quote from: Tonyrotary on March 27, 2009, 09:51:43 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah it is pretty nice and it sounds better than my more modern 5.8GHZ cordless phones. As far as the bug biting harder, geez I have a Princess phone on the way and my wife is looking at a nice Ericofone for me. I suppose there is no cure....lol.

I was talking to my mom about old phones today.  She had an ericophone, which her dad installed in her room when she was a teenager (late 70s early 80s) and had knee surgery.  She said apparantly he had lots of this stuff, because he had worked with Ma Bell, I don't know my grandpa too well, and only talk to him now and then about vintage electronics, since it's common ground for us.  My ma says she thinks if I get ahold of him, he may still have lots of stuff from his days with the phone company!
- Tom

HobieSport

Quote from: AtomicEraTom
I don't know my grandpa too well, and only talk to him now and then about vintage electronics, since it's common ground for us.  My ma says she thinks if I get ahold of him, he may still have lots of stuff from his days with the phone company!

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...So get on the phone and talk to your Grandpa!  Ya know Tom, a lot of us don't have our grandparents or even our parents still with us, and one thing I regret is not spending more time with my grandparents.  If your Grandpa worked for the phone company and enjoys talking with you, well, you are lucky to say the least!  Is that the same Grandpa who built your cool 1950s Summer house or from the other side of the family?

Dan

I agree about the grandparents. Mine were all dead before I reached age 10, and I lost my dad when I was 21. That's one thing I look forward to later when (if) I get to heaven.

Anyway, Hobie is right, let us know how your "source" works out for you. Hobie-great story about your wife. Mine always used the cordless, but now walks past it over to her blue (touchtone) princess. That is her phone now (along with the pink 500 in the bedroom).
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan
Hobie-great story about your wife. Mine always used the cordless, but now walks past it over to her blue (touchtone) princess. That is her phone now (along with the pink 500 in the bedroom).

Dan, that's Heaths' story, but no matter, I often get our names and stories mixed up.  My GF uses a tiny modern remote phone; I tried it once and it drove me nuts with all the darn little buttons.  Of course when the power occasionally goes out she asks to borrow one of my phones, but touch-tone, not rotary.  Fortunatly my sister makes up for what my GF lacks in good taste in phones: My sister uses a 302. :)

Tonyrotary

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on March 28, 2009, 02:12:05 AM
Quote from: Tonyrotary on March 27, 2009, 09:51:43 AM

I was talking to my mom about old phones today.  She had an ericophone, which her dad installed in her room when she was a teenager (late 70s early 80s) and had knee surgery.  She said apparantly he had lots of this stuff, because he had worked with Ma Bell, I don't know my grandpa too well, and only talk to him now and then about vintage electronics, since it's common ground for us.  My ma says she thinks if I get ahold of him, he may still have lots of stuff from his days with the phone company!

I agree with the others talk to your Grandpa. You never know he might have some cool stuff for you. Plus like others said, some of us no longer have Grandparents anymore. Oh about that ericophone, I heard because of that phone Ma Bell came out with the trimline to compete. Don't know how true that is but could be possible.

Dan/Panther

Hey Tom;
Give me your Grandpas phone number, I'll warm him up to the idea for you.  ;D ;D

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AET

Quote from: HobieSport on March 28, 2009, 11:47:09 AM
Quote from: AtomicEraTom
I don't know my grandpa too well, and only talk to him now and then about vintage electronics, since it's common ground for us.  My ma says she thinks if I get ahold of him, he may still have lots of stuff from his days with the phone company!

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship...So get on the phone and talk to your Grandpa!  Ya know Tom, a lot of us don't have our grandparents or even our parents still with us, and one thing I regret is not spending more time with my grandparents.  If your Grandpa worked for the phone company and enjoys talking with you, well, you are lucky to say the least!  Is that the same Grandpa who built your cool 1950s Summer house or from the other side of the family?

First off, I'd quote all of y'all on this, but thank you all for the very wise advice to call my grandpa.  He's hopefully coming to visit this summer too!!

This is not the same grandpa though, Grandpa on my Dad's side built the house, this is Grandpa on my mom's side.  He's into a lot of this stuff!  He also collects radio tubes, but unfortunately when I talked to him, he had just sold his 8-track collection (several hundred tapes, and player that was top of the line when new) (he's always been into gadgets) Grandpa also worked for the City, dealing not only with phone, but civil defense.  He was a well known individual in Menomonee Falls, his prime was the 50s to the mid 80's and you can still mention him there, where he still lives, and half the town knows him!  Kinda interesting what you find out if you just ask!
- Tom

Tonyrotary

Here is a pic of the growing family. Can't wait to get home and buff up that 500 a bit more.

HobieSport

Nice.  But I can't help thinking something seems to me missing...hmm...what can it be...Oh yeah!  An AE40! ;D

Tonyrotary

Hobie, your so right. But don't worry the AE40 is high on hte list of phones to get. ;D