News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the month- June 2020

Started by Jim Stettler, May 31, 2020, 11:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - June    2020  *** Vote for Three ***

twocvbloke's modified GEC 746 door control intercom,     $11.38 US delivered                 eBay
9 (32.1%)
LarryInMichigan's ivory British GPO 232                          $42.01 US delivered                 eBay
22 (78.6%)
countryman's Siemens & Halske Model 28                       $28.4 US   local pickup             eBay
9 (32.1%)
shadow67's Western Electric 20-B                                  $125 US delivered                    eBay
10 (35.7%)
Babybearjs's WE green key box                                      $50                                        eBay
1 (3.6%)
Duffy's clear red AE 80 with clear handset about              $104.00                                  eBay
11 (39.3%)
 tanderson78's   "D" mount w/ E  and  metal subset         $20                                        Facebook
13 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Jim Stettler

Post your "Find of the Month" here.

A "Find of the Month" is a telephone or a related item that you acquired during the month that you are particularly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find it for your collection or the exceptional "deal" that you got on it. Other than that, any discussion of or comments about the nominated phone are not allowed, FOTM nominations only. As stated below, "Ideally your item would be (first) posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum" and if so, "the forum link if discussed in another topic" is to be included in the nomination reply.

If a significant discussion of a nominated phone starts in a FOTM topic, it will be moved to a new "discussion" topic in the appropriate board and if not, then simply removed.

The "Find of the Month" contest is focused on the collection of telephones rather than on their sale for a profit. To be eligible for the "Find of the Month" contest:

- The finder must have personally acquired and actually own the item.
- The item can be acquired for free but it can not be a gift or present from anyone.
- The item (or any of its components) cannot be put up for sale during the contest period.
- Only one "Find" per owner can be in a "Find of the Month" contest.

A Nomination Should Include:

1) where and/or how the item was found.
2) the price & shipping cost.
3) the forum link to the topic discussing the find.
4) the eBay link if won there.
5) other information of importance about the find (why the item is very important to you for any reason).
6) and one or two pictures of the item.

Ideally your item would be posted in its own thread elsewhere on the forum such as "Auction Talk", "Flea Market/Yard Sale Finds" or "Collectors Corner" Board. Then you or anyone else can nominate your "Find" to the Current "Find of the Month" thread by posting at least one picture and other details including the price paid, any shipping costs and a link to the original discussion on the forum. It is not a requirement that your find be posted elsewhere on the forum but the more details the better.

Nominations of phones listed in other forum discussion topics, by members that do not own the item but realize it is indeed a "find" worthy of being nominated as a "Find of the Month" candidate, are always welcome.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entry to one phone or one "Find" that might include limited multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find in next months contest.

To check out a list of all past winners including the Find of the YEAR winners, click here:

--> Winner's List <--

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on forum. Thanks John.  To check them out, click here:
          --> Photo Album <--

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

As suggested, I'm adding my heavily modified GEC 746 door control intercom "thing", which is a rather unique oddity with unknown history...

Found it on ebay while just perusing the vintage telephones section & threw it on my watch list, only one other bid, winning at £5.50 + £3.70 postage (Total £9.20);

Topic link:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23978

Ebay link:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164207706302

Importance about the find? Well, it's a very unusual piece, and very much far removed from its' original purpose, probably of military origin owing to the NATO Stock Number on the rear of the transmitter capsule, and it just appeals to me in it being odd, and having lighted lamps & buttons means it gives me something to do to make it illuminate... :)

And lastly pictures:

LarryInMichigan

Keeping with the British theme, I might as well nominate my ivory British GPO 232 which cost $42.01 delivered.

Larry

Discussion Thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23958.msg238825#msg238825

countryman

From the European continent I'll throw in this Siemens & Halske Model 28.
It appeared on eBay classified ads for pickup in my neighborhood, "please make offers".
I thought 25 Euro (28.45 $ US) was fair and I got the phone. The seller asked me what I was going to do with it and he looked a bit confused when I said, making calls  ;D
The phone was a bit filthy but the dial ran like new right away and it is complete and working. The transmitter ins't the best of course.

<<<EDIT>>> to add discussion thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24001.msg239197#msg239197

shadow67

I would like to nominate this Western Electric 20-B I found on eBay. It was $110 plus $15 shipping. It came with a black 337 transmitter which I replaced w a nickel 329W. I have always wanted a nickel candlestick.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24004.0

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-candlestick-Telephone-Early-1900-039-s-/353096912293

Babybearjs

here's my entry for the month! first time finding one of these in color!

>>>>>edit to add thread and price<<<
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24003.msg239243#msg239243
About $50.00
John

Jim Stettler

I am nominating Duffy's clear red AE 80 with clear handset.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24034.msg239495#msg239495

Quote from Link:
The starting bid was listed at $145.00 CDN and there was a make an offer option.
I made an offer of $120.00 CDN, they turned it down, I re offered $140.00 they accepted it.
There will be no shipping charges as they are only a 45 minute drive from me. I pick it up tomorrow.
You live, You learn,

tanderson78

I haven't made many telephone purchases since April of 2017 when my son and I drove from Cleveland to Chicago to pick up a switchboard.  I had rediscovered my love of vintage mopeds and a lot of my time, money, and energy has been devoted to that hobby, but I still like to look for local bargains on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.

I noticed an ad on Marketplace for a Western Electric 302 about 12 miles away priced at $20, a great deal, but I already had one.  I swiped the picture left to see that the seller also had a total of 3 302's, a 3 - line 400 series,  and a 202 with
684 BC ringer, all priced at $20.

I started texting him and found out that his father, aged 74, had retired from the phone company and had recently passed away.  He had the job of cleaning out the basement, and this was just the beginning of the items he had.  He offered them up online rather than scrapping them.  I set up a meeting at the car dealership he manages and bought the 202 and 400.  I was a little short on funds and might consider the remaining 302's for parts or to resell.

I bring the 2 phones in question home and clean them both up.  I opened up the ringer box and connected 2 wires to the wall Jack, and within a few minutes, I'm am sending and receiving calls on an 84 year old telephone.

Jim Stettler

Last day to nominate for June 2020 find of the month.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

The  Find of the month- June 2020 poll is now open for voting.
Vote for Three.

Jim
You live, You learn,

countryman

Congratulations to LarryInMichigan for his wonderful Find Of The Month! Well done!

LarryInMichigan

My phone and I thank everyone who voted for us.

Larry