and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hooking up a 1A2 System to a SC 1575

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 14, 2016, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

quote author=Victor Laszlo
"...what other terminology don't we know about concerning phones..."

I imagine quite a lot, assuming that you never had the advantage of having worked for TPC.

How about the "balance" lead?
one of the control leads in 1A key (I think?)

or the "E & M" leads?
Ear & Mouth - signalling/control on trunks?

Or how about sealing current,
Have heard the term but no idea...enough current to hold the switch relays up?

spudger,
like a sharpened screw driver to push between cables or cable and runway to lace the next cable into place. Also makes me think of "pull through" and flat needles"

line load control,
A scheme to give service to predetermined subscribers and deny most other subscribers service in an emergency when LLC would be activated.

and tramp glass?
No idea

J-hook,
likely a wire support or ring possibly used on poles for bridle wire or maybe even the house hook. Or coukdi T be a "drive hook"?

P-tie,
no idea

ram's horn
how about what we called a "cable horn", a post attached to the side of runway or grid to keep cables from falling off the edge once sewing was no longer done.

B-connector...?
a wire connector that you squash into the twisted connection now used in alarm work. Like "Jelly beans" (scotch-locks) Are used in telephony these days.

Why aren't manhole covers square?
That one has been answered.

LARP? 
???

Terry

Victor Laszlo

How about the "balance" lead?
one of the control leads in 1A key (I think?)

>>>correct.  Since one side of the line is extended to the station as a "hold" lead, the other side of the line is also extended to, but not terminated in, the tel set. This scheme eliminates an unbalance condition, which could cause hum and cross-talk, if enough footage of the unbalanced side existed in a large system.  Note that the term in English is "imbalance" but the term in Telephonese is "unbalance."

or the "E & M" leads?
Ear & Mouth - signalling/control on trunks?

>>>correct

Or how about sealing current,
Have heard the term but no idea...enough current to hold the switch relays up?

>>>an electrical charge that is passed through dry circuits that are switched by relay contacts. The short answer is that it keeps the closed contacts from corroding and causing static.

spudger,
like a sharpened screw driver to push between cables or cable and runway to lace the next cable into place. Also makes me think of "pull through" and flat needles"

>>>nope. It's a non-metallic hand tool, like a sharpened chopstick, used to clear away solder splashes and small wire clippings from between terminals on an MDF, among other places.

line load control,
A scheme to give service to predetermined subscribers and deny most other subscribers service in an emergency when LLC would be activated.

>>>ding ding ding... we have a winner. The very existence of LLC was a secret from the public. Even discussing it was an offense that would result in discipline for rank & file employees.

and tramp glass?
No idea

>>> an arrangement of specialized glass insulators and associated iron support brackets, mounted on a pole, that facilitated the transposition (flipping) of a pair of open-wire conductors. "tramp" was the spoken abbreviation for "transposition."

J-hook,
likely a wire support or ring possibly used on poles for bridle wire or maybe even the house hook. Or coukdi T be a "drive hook"?

>>> close enough

P-tie,
no idea

>>>the metal assembly of several parts (body, slide/loop, friction spacer) that grabs the ends of a drop wire, and allows it to be hooked on the J-hook.  Back in the day, they used to be made of copper, and were "replaced" whenever possible with the newer version, made of stainless steel. See if you can guess why there were barrels of copper ones in every telephone man's garage.

ram's horn
how about what we called a "cable horn", a post attached to the side of runway or grid to keep cables from falling off the edge once sewing was no longer done.

>>>a galvanized metal device, made of very thick steel wire, formed into a ram's horn shape, with a central hole, for a lag bolt. It was screwed to the side of the subscriber's house and the P-tie was hooked over and around the ears of the horn.

B-connector...?
a wire connector that you squash into the twisted connection now used in alarm work. Like "Jelly beans" (scotch-locks) Are used in telephony these days.

>>>yes, used by people who generally should not be allowed outside without a leash. Like you said...alarm geeks.

Why aren't manhole covers square?
That one has been answered.

>>>actually, any careful worker with a minimum of intelligence and spatial awareness can get a square or round cover into a square or round opening. There is another more critical reason. If a large vehicle bounces over a loose cover, the cover can flip up into the air, and possibly not come down in the right place. If it were square, there would be even less chance of its landing in the right orientation.

LARP? 
???

>>>Well, the exact words are lost in the murky past. It is a pair of wires that is used in OSP to monitor cable air pressure via transponders mounted in manholes and on poles.  Probably Local, (or Line) Air, Reporting, Pair (or Program) ? or some permutation thereof.

When there are not enough spare pairs to accomplish the task, a subscriber's working line is bridged onto the transponder, which sends a high resistant ground on the Tip side to the receiving equipment in the CO, the amount of resistance being analogous to the air pressure reading.  Sometimes the ground can be heard as a slight hum by a subscriber with excellent hearing.  When an unsuspecting repairman is dispatched to repair the hum, and is not made aware of the LARP circuitry, he can chase his tail all day long. 

This chasing of the tail, and pulling of the hair, and grinding of the teeth, and rending of the garment, and riding of many miles across vast areas, with many bottles of The Mother Of Bell's oil being wastefully consumeth, results in harsh words being spake unto the dispatcher, who becometh mightily afraid and who doth hideth in terror beneath the Desk of Testing, lest the repairman, being full of anger, and of vitriol, and of evil intentions, enter The Holy House Of Dispatch in order to seek him out, and to chastise him amongst his brethren, and thence to cause him bodily harm to avenge his transgression against the humble and hard-working repairman, who was innocent in the eyes of The Sacred Mother Bell, and who was so sorely used.

WesternElectricBen

Well, it has been a long time since I have posted, or worked on this project. However, I would like to finish it.

Tonight, I hooked up the tip and ring for all five lines. I had it connected through my KSU an outside line, but I got nothing. I plugged my phone analyzer onto line 4 and got no dial tone, but I was able to dial. Should a dial tone come through with just tip and ring hooked up?

Thank you,
Ben

rdelius

You should get dial tone  it just passeses through the ksu even if no voltage to run the ksu. I wired many dark grey and 1white qnd 1 green on my system years ago. I might have tied grounds on lamps and aleads  but this will not change dial tone

poplar1

Are you sure that neither the receiver nor the handset cord is defective?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Ah, I checked the schematic and the headset cord was improperly wired. Now, when I put a line through the KSU, I get a dial tone.

Now, I am trying to compare the schematic of a WE 565 with the phone to figure out the light and buzzer situation. What do C, L, and H stand for in the junction box? What would be the Western Electric 565 equivalent to C, L, and H? Thank you!

rdelius

those might be common hold and lamp leads