News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Want to get into collecting, where is a good place to start?

Started by Fushigi Ojisan, April 04, 2018, 06:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I'll be there also, and am loading up a bunch of things to sell  as I thin out my collection (narrowing my focus), but also looking for other things (a few specific holes in my collection: unique color princess phones, 1500s, and white phones, as well as a few payphone parts)...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Fushigi Ojisan

Quote from: paul-f on June 02, 2018, 10:27:11 PM
It's good to hear you plan to be at the show. Several of us will undoubtedly be there.

At the show, you'll have to ask questions to determine whether a seller:

1) has gone through it already, and

2) knows what they are doing.   ;)

As with any area of knowledge, there's more to know than any of us can master. Sellers don't always have the time to research each item on their tables. Some have been in boxes for years - out of sight and out of mind. Try to learn as much as possible about your current areas of interest and talk with several other collectors to test your knowledge -- and theirs.

Expect to find a wide range of pricing models. Some sellers are just trying to get rid of duplicates, things in the project box we will never get to or items we're downsizing -- while others are pickers or dealers that expect to make a little money.

Shows are an outstanding opportunity to learn, see some amazing things, meet new friends and have some fun. Be sure to say HI!

I'm familiar with such show from my other collecting hobby, looking forward to going!

I'm going to dress to stand out:  German "Flektarn" camo shorts and a Luka Modric soccer jersey (World Cup Croatian team).   

I should've known there would be antique store/man-cave pickers there.  On the one hand its going to jack up the prices on nicer things.  On the other, they have already created the market for plug-and-play resto-mod paystations so I should be able to find something.   Again, looking for honest wear, and something adapted to home use but otherwise largely unmolested.   The man-cave guys can take the FrankenPhones.   

Fushigi Ojisan
Otaku with interesting hobbies