News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE LPC-82-55 - Modified

Started by Dave, March 05, 2019, 03:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Again I find myself in a bit of a quandary, and you guys have always been the best when it comes to finding answers to hard questions.

I bought this phone about 7 years ago. It had a dial tone, dialed out, and rang in although the ringing in seemed intermittent; like maybe there was a loose wire somewhere. It's been sitting in the closet for years and today I thought I'd play with it. It still has a dial tone and dials out, but the ring is completely gone.

I've had a stroke since the last time I was logged in and now my abilities to concentrate and to process information have declined a bit. I wonder if one of you smart guys would look at my photo and see if there's anything obvious, or maybe give me an idea of what I might try myself to get the ringer working again.

I apologize for the need for help on something as simple as this, but anymore when I look at mechanical and electrical things they just look foreign to me.

Modified to add: The modular line cord comes in through the back and goes to L1 and L2. From the ringer the green goes to L2 and the red goes to R1

Thank you.

Dave

poplar1

Isn't the green ringer wire going to the white Dracon connector, along with a white capacitor wire? The other white capacitor wire is connected to L2.

Then the red ringer wire should go to L1, not R1, in order to complete the ringing path.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave

Yes, you're right. The green wire comes from the ringer to L2 via a connector and a capacitor. I wrote a short cut.

The red wire goes to L1 you say? I'll try it, but it I know I haven't moved any wires and I think it used to ring wired as it is.  Let me give it a go.

Dave

Man, that's weird. I moved it from the bench to the bed so I could plug it in. It rings without changing anything. R1 seems to be OK for the red wire. I wonder if the RJ-11 connector is cracked. I'll mess with it for a while to see if something is just loose (like the connector). If any of you have additional thoughts please share.

Thanks.

Dave

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave

Interesting development. I test it with the upper cover removed and it works fine. I put the cover back on and it doesn't work.

Even though the phone has been modified to work as a home phone the coin mechanism and the guts attached to the inside of the upper cover are still there. When I put that cover on and lock it down I wonder if some of those guts could be shorting out the green and/or red wires at the ringer.

Any thoughts?

RotarDad

Dave - perhaps try putting some masking tape over the ringer coil where the wires attach and see if that helps.  The phone was designed for a coin relay to fit so you wouldn't think the ringer would get shorted but something is happening....  Or maybe the hook switch is somehow getting shorted with the upper installed - the rest of the phone is out of the circuit when on-hook, except the ringer. 
Paul