News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 236G 3 slot slug rejector alignment issues

Started by RB, September 19, 2019, 12:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Got it talkin, now, can't get the coins to slide into the chute, they drop in front of it, and land in bottom.
The slug rejector, as I have hurd it called, has been removed, and 2 small bolts now hold it in.
If I lean the phone back a little, it works better, but not right.
Need info on how these things were aligned when installed, so I can fix this issue.
Thanks.

Stan S

Two small bolts are holding what in?

There is no alignment for the slug rejectors.
There is also no putting them back in if they have been removed.
Stan S.

RB

Maybe I am calling it badly, ???
I refer to the gray metal part, that has the 3 arm weighted things that the coins hit as they enter the phone.
it is just below the coin slots, "on the inside", and sits on top of the coin chute.
someone removed the rivets, and installed bolts before I got it.

Stan S

Were the mounting holes enlarged?
Do the nickels and quarters go into the chute?

RB

don't think holes were augmented.
nickles enter ok, quarters,sometimes yes, sometimes no
dimes, never...almost unless tilted back anyway

Stan S

This willl fix the problem with the dimes. You want to make a 'slide' so the dimes will fall directly into the chute.
You can make the slide out of a piece of plastic or even wood. Makes no difference. I cast them but practically
any material will work. Put a little glue on each edge to hold it in place. Flip the washer rejector in back of it.
See pictures.
Stan S.

Stan S

Also works for the nickels and quarters.
Stan S.

RB

So, I guess this is a common problem?
seeing there is a fix already for it. lol
I will work on that this weekend.
Thank you Stan!!

RB

Haw! couldn't wait ;)
Went out and made me a wedge.
Had the stock, Not sure why, but it was there. TYJ!!!
Just had to sand it down, and cut it off...SURE!!!!!
Took 3 trys, but dimes drop every time!
Thanks again, Stan!!! :)
Next, is the ringer/buzzer/clapper???
Not sure whats goin on there,
Makes a clatter sound, if anything at all.

Stan S

RB
If the ringer sounds like a bunch of nuts and bolts rattling around in a tin can, the ringer is working normally.
Worst ringer in the world!
Stan S.

RB

LOL!!! ok, I'll hook it back up, and try it again.
I found out why the dime slot was failing intermittently...HAH, most of the time.
The spoke on the weighted shaft, was worn down where it hit the coin, and pushed it forward.
Guess from years of dimes droppin on it. No way was it still calibrated.
So, I see why it couldn't be dependable anymore.
That's prob why they were selected to be stripped down house phones.
Dimes musta been the "coin of choice", ??? Too many Beers under the bridge to remember details.
The nics n quads were not worn.
Anyways,  ;D ;D ;D"Happy Dance" ;D ;D ;D

Stan S

RB
The easiest way to get the ringer to work is to take the assembly out of the phone and extend the wires.
Call the phone and try bending the armature until it sounds as good as it's going to. Not really possible to do with the ringer mounted in the phone.

Yes, the washer rejectors become worn. The Bell System created a kit of plastic parts that replaced the worn out rejectors
for each denomination. Each one had two legs cast in the back that snapped into the area in the center. I was lucky enough to find a 3-slot that had them installed. Since a two piece mold would have been needed to recreate them with the legs I opted to cut them off and mold copies from the top with a simple rubber mold. Not as fancy as the original but a little glue works just fine.
I use a lot of potting compound and always have a little extra. Instead of tossing it out I pour it in the mold.

Stan S.

RB