News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5-79 Western Electric F-60913 Charge-a-Call

Started by magicbrain, October 20, 2020, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicbrain

This Charge-a-Call telephone had caught my attention because of the early 5-79 date & the F-60913 marking - it looks different than others I have seen - No Bell logo on the case, internal components arranged differently & it has a area on the lower right for a lock?
This phone had gone though an auction once with no bids - When the seller relisted it, I sent a low ball offer which was turned down - the seller advised me that if the phone did not sell this time, it would be parted it out - Could not let that happen, so placed a bid & got it.
Has anyone have one like this? Maybe made for an independent?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-F-60913-metal-roadside-phone-working-dated-5-79-/254744195529

Bruce

Key2871

Yup, saw it. Its seen better days needs a coat of paint and a back board. But if it still works, it is kinda cool.
I had the versions with the Bell, and an a AT&T in black.
KEN

Jim Stettler

The F# is cool. I don't know if that is typical for this type phone.
I have had a couple of them in the past. They are boring to many collectors so now they are getting hard to find.
I have one that is in a panel enclosure (panel phone). that  is why I bought it .
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

HarrySmith

As stated before, the "F" numbers were for trial units, sample units, special orders  and stuff like that. Could this be a field trial phone? Hopefully one of our payphone experts can offer more info.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

I had a Charge A Call that was a different style then the one posted. Sold it to another collector.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=23458.msg235042#msg235042

Key2871

Harry your right, I had forgot about that when I saw the phone. It would have been numbered 10A in production, so I imagine that a 10A back plate would fit fine. But with the paint in the condition its in its been in the weather for a long time. And I saw the barrior strip in the top of the set, that is not there in production models I've seen. Does it have the security screw in it?
It was an allen head with a pin in the center so you needed a special tool to loosen the screw before it could be removed from the back plate.

I found this with pictures on the web.. Note the back plate had a strip for tip ring connections, then a short line cord type of cord plugged into the chassis.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/western-electric-10a-charge-call-1883122044
KEN

rcourtney

Telephone Installer showed that trial version awhile back.

My CAC is the newer with pin-in-head
in the center, no lock.

Coinless is a whole group of wall, desk, and video terminals.

magicbrain

Here is a press photo dated May 15, 1980 showing Southwestern Bell Charge-a-Call phones at Hobby Airport in Houston, Texas - Found this on Amazon of all places.
Best I can make out, these appear identical to the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/Southwestern-Telephone-Charge-payphones-Houston/dp/B07QY181C5
Bruce

Payphone installer

I worked on Charge-A-Calls for many years most were 10A later 11B. The F-model shown here is very rare. One of the big differences was this design included the need for a 29A W/E upper housing lock. I have only ever seen about 5 of these in the field over a 18 year period. They are gone now, but I did manage to keep one. It is a very rare collectible item.

magicbrain

Quote from: Payphone installer on October 21, 2020, 02:19:14 PM
I worked on Charge-A-Calls for many years most were 10A later 11B. The F-model shown here is very rare. One of the big differences was this design included the need for a 29A W/E upper housing lock. I have only ever seen about 5 of these in the field over a 18 year period. They are gone now, but I did manage to keep one. It is a very rare collectible item.
Wow, so I guess I did OK ;D - What is yours dated? Any pictures of yours you could post?
Bruce

Key2871

That explains the hole in the side of the housing.
Great find!
KEN

magicbrain

Phone was on the front porch when I got home yesterday - All components have 1979 date codes & overall it's in pretty decent shape, just dirty.
The best news is the "Property Of Illinois Bell" across the front was just written with a sharpie or a paint pen and it comes right off, so I should be able to save the original textured paint.
I didn't mention it before, but the date of 5-79 holds some significance - it is the month & year I graduated high school.

Bruce

magicbrain

Started working on the Charge-a-Call housing, after a bath & about an hour & 1/2 using some No. 7 rubbing compound on the faded paint, it is looking much better :) - The neighbor's chickens also came over for a look ::)

Bruce

Key2871

Nice work, the color is coming back nicely.
Years ago when I had a 10A, it was a bit scratched and I tried mixing my own custom color to touch it up. But i wasn't happy with the result. So I went looking for a shaker can of a color that would at least be real close.
I was in walmart and found the color that looked close. Took it home it was spot on, so I sprayed over the area I touched up and textuised and it came out great. But all I did was blend and only covered the area that needed it. Looked great, I think it was called Sky Blue, but with anything differant batches can vary a little.
KEN

magicbrain

Thanks Ken - I may do what you did on the top, the only really bad area - How did you duplicate the texture?
Bruce