"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1D2 info

Started by 1MFNPhone, January 09, 2021, 04:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1MFNPhone

Hi everyone
I'm new to the forum and recently bought a western electric payphone marked 1D2 on the back. Im assuming it was refurbished in 93 by the teleservice sticker on the back. Of course there was no keys, so I was able to remove the mounting plate. So I'm hoping to use my borescope and get the number of the lock. Does anyone know what style lock is on the vault? Does anyone have information on the southern bell marked payphones?

Key2871

Hello and welcome. The vault lock is an abloy and I don't think you'll find a key to unlock it.
But there are a lot of members here who can help you find away to get in to the vault hopefully easily.

If you can take a shot of the upper if it's locked, and get a number on that, and it's a Western lock there may be keys available to open that.

But congrats on finding a nice phone.
KEN

1MFNPhone

Thanks key2871
   I hope my borescope can get in there. On the lower lock I'm going to try a carbide grinding bits to grind out the lock. But I really have no reason to get in the bottom. Im just wanting it to work for my shop.

Key2871

As I mentioned finding a key for a vault lock will be next to impossible. Useually they were only a couple keys for those and that's it. Loose it drill it.
I think that's what you end up doing to that, if you can.
But I'm no expert so wait for someone else to give you a suggestion on what to do with that lock.
Btw my name is Ken.
KEN

You can always use an air chisel, works for me.

Key2871

I've also done the same, the screws drop right out.
KEN

1MFNPhone

I'm gonna try that before I grind the lock just to see. But with my luck its not going to be that simple. Aleast I have a shop full of tools to try. Just getting the time to mess with it.

Key2871

But you still left with finding a key. It would be eaiser to get a new lock and key, eBay has them all the time.
KEN

oldguy

Hi Duffy, how exactly do you use an air chisel. What bit do you use.
Gary

Quote from: oldguy on January 11, 2021, 11:40:20 PM
Hi Duffy, how exactly do you use an air chisel. What bit do you use.

Gary

Here are some pictures to give you an idea of how it's done. You need a pointed chisel bit, the T-key and an air nozzle to blow the brass flakes away from the lock and inside the phone when done. Use ear plugs! The noise is very loud.

I have opened quite a few this way. The medco locks have a flaw, they are weak when pounded on the tumblers. It breaks the latch. Sometimes it will vibrate the bolts out, but most of the time it just breaks the lock.

You need to have the T-key in place and turn it back and forth at the same time while using the chisel. When the lock breaks, you will know it as the t-key will turn to open.

That is how I do it and it has worked for me every time.

HarrySmith

Just a small correction. The bit is not a chisel, it is a punch. Chisel bits are for cutting and shaped like a chisel. See picture attached.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 12, 2021, 07:09:18 AM
Just a small correction. The bit is not a chisel, it is a punch. Chisel bits are for cutting and shaped like a chisel. See picture attached.

Great Point Harry, Thanks.

When is a chisel not a chisel? When it's a punch!  :)

"That's a pun son"  Foghorn Leghorn

1MFNPhone

Well I got my borescope back. Went through the wire while and key lock is is 29a 33. So time to order a key

Key2871

Great work, and good luck.
KEN

oldguy

Thanks Duffy & Harry. Duffy, I understood by your wording & pics that it was a pointed bit & thanks for the clarification Harry. I'm a retired auto mechanic, so I have All the tools. This is for the phone in my booth. The glass is missing from the side of the booth with the locks, so I have access. I will probably be working on my AE TT 3 slot before attempting this but I will get back to you when I do.
Gary