News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich N 802 C50 Red Beauty

Started by Doug Rose, April 14, 2021, 02:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I got this on Janet's FB. It came today and is a wonderful phone. Being from Boston, I have not seen much of the Newer AE stuff. Similar to a 500 set, boy is this guy heavy. It is soft plastic.

Made by Leich but has AE on it, must be after the AE takeover of Leich.

I am looking for a matching line cord if anyone has one to sell or trade.

This is fully functional, looks like it was hardly used. Seller said it was used as a display in their home and did not know if it works....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Nice one! I had a black one once that had both names on the bottom. I thought that was strange at that time. I think I posted about it on here somewhere.
I think I have a red WE line cord that should be the same color if you are interested I will try to dig it out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

AFAIK. Leich made phones for AE even before they were bought out by them.  These early AE80s are difficult to find in red.  I have been looking for a red one in good condition for a reasonable price for years.

Your phone has a frequency ringer in it.

Larry

Witty

Wow, it looks like it is brand new right out of the box. What a nice find!
What year would this be? I see a 50 on the base, but also another number a little blurry, maybe 58?
Congrats on a nice find.

Ken
Ken

FABphones

Very nice.

Would you add a photo of the logo under cradle (if any)?

I have a later version (no Leich marking), also in red, and my research from when I bought it confirmed red wasn't an easy find.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 14, 2021, 09:29:26 PM
AFAIK. Leich made phones for AE even before they were bought out by them.

Do you have any more information on that?

I wasn't aware that Leich made AE phones prior to the AE80 and Leich was already part of the group then.

Thanks
Jack

19and41

Looks like it will display well.  That's always a good start.  Nice find!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Kidphone

countryman

It's in amazing condition.
Would someone care to explain what the selector switch 0...4 is for?

19and41

There's a thread here explaining it, but I forget what it said.  It's a feature used with Automatic Electric phones.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: 19and41 on April 15, 2021, 06:29:03 PM
There's a thread here explaining it, but I forget what it said.  It's a feature used with Automatic Electric phones.

ISTR it was for loop compensation. Basically you set it based in regard to  how far you are from the central office.

The further you are from the CO , the greater the voltage drop. Loop compensation is used to address voltage drop type situations.

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

countryman

Thanks for the explanation.
It seems WE phones had an automatic compensation, while I have seen built-in line resistors in French phones, which had to be wired accordingly. Sure the selector switch ist easier to use for the installer.
It seems the German phone industry never cared for the issue, but if need be higher grade transmitter and receiver capsules were available for long lines.