News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This weekend's antique mall shopping

Started by compubit, July 05, 2015, 06:15:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

I had to head down to Newport News today from DC for work tomorrow and decided to take the my time and make a couple of stops along the way.

I stopped at an antique mall outside of Richmond and ran across an Automatic Electric 40 in decent exterior condition for $40 (a quick search eBay pricing appears to be twice that right now). The dial runs a little slow, but should be able to clean it, assuming it's similar to the early AE80 dials. The case isn't shiny, but isn't pitted like some of my early black 500s.  Assuming all inside is working, a little cleaning and polishing, I should have a decent desk phone.  It was the best deal I found at that mall phone-wise ($89 for a mid-70s modular beige 554 definitely didn't make the cut!)

At the second mall, I started down the aisles and quickly saw a yellow 2500, non-modular with the ribbed (early) faceplate - I passed on that and went further down the aisle and saw a 62 ivory 500 (not soft) and a red Trimline. The Trimline was marked $10 and untested. It has the red line cord with the original Trimline 5-wire cord with the Trimline "plug" connecting to the base.  Upon opening the handset, lo and behold, it's a 1220 10 button model.  I clamped my hands on that  phone so quickly...  The faceplate around the dial is cracked (it's on the underside), but I can deal with that (if only, though, the phone had been white...).

I then proceeded through the mall and saw several phones, but nothing I couldn't do without (I did see a SC Harvest Gold 2500, but passed at $65...).  Anyway, I'm happy with today's finds.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WesternElectricBen

Nice find, especially on the trimline.

Ben

HarrySmith

Cool! I like the Red Trimline 10 button a lot!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

compubit

Once I saw the Trimline, it didn't leave my hand until paid for!  (paid for, then bathroom break!)

I have an affinity for the original Trimlines - the have a slightly different feel than the later models. Not sure if it's the slightly smaller compactness (especially on the Touch Tone side) or a slight difference in the plastics used, or being modular before modular existed or if it's something else (only 10 buttons doesn't hurt either!)

Will keep my eyes open for a spare 10 button bezel, though...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: compubit on July 07, 2015, 12:10:18 AM
Once I saw the Trimline, it didn't leave my hand until paid for!  (paid for, then bathroom break!)
...bathroom break, then a trip to the laundromat! ;D

Great find, those 1220s are tricky! Nice score!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford