News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Early 302 Ringer

Started by tekuhn, November 08, 2016, 12:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekuhn

I recently bought an early 302 (1938) only to discover the ringer assembly is gone. In looking for parts, most of the 302's I see have a different baseplate that uses 3 rivets to attach the ringer. My baseplate uses 4 rivets to attach the ringer which I assume were drilled-out to remove it. Do both versions use the same ringer and a different bracket for attachment, or is everything different? I would appreciate part numbers if possible to help in locating the correct parts. Thanks in advance for any help.

TelePlay

Quote from: tekuhn on November 08, 2016, 12:55:18 PM
I recently bought an early 302 (1938) only to discover the ringer assembly is gone. In looking for parts, most of the 302's I see have a different baseplate that uses 3 rivets to attach the ringer. My baseplate uses 4 rivets to attach the ringer which I assume were drilled-out to remove it. Do both versions use the same ringer and a different bracket for attachment, or is everything different? I would appreciate part numbers if possible to help in locating the correct parts. Thanks in advance for any help.

The early 302's used a 4 rivet mount updated by newer 302's with 3 rivets. The brackets are different but the way the ringer fits into each is the same.

You were not clear as to if your phone has the bracket riveted to the base of was the bracket drilled out, missing both the mounting plate and the ringer. (photos would help)

You need a B1A ringer and they are readily available on eBay or money. This is but one of many on eBay right now and they are available from direct sources.

To mount the ringer plate, you need the rivets and rubber grommet which hold the plate off of the base plate, to isolate the phone from vibration. Many topics on the forum about that, and how to do that.

This is what they look like, the ringer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOICE-ONE-VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-302-Ringer-for-Telephone-B1A-or-B3A-WORK-/201685833620

IIRC, I do not recall seeing only the mounting plate available on eBay. However, eBay does see complete 302 base plates with everything missing except the plate.

TelePlay

Here is a stripped base with a 3 rivet ringer mount.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/302-Telephone-Base-Bottom-Model-302-Phone-w-Feet-CLEAN-/201697013143

It would not be difficult to move the condenser and induction coil from you base, if the plate is missing, to something like this, if date's don't matter. This would be a newer base than the phone you have.

tekuhn

Correct, I am missing both the bracket and ringer. Thanks for the information. At least I now know that any 302 ringer should be the right one. Finding a bracket will probably be harder.

TelePlay

Quote from: tekuhn on November 08, 2016, 03:33:08 PM
Correct, I am missing both the bracket and ringer. Thanks for the information. At least I now know that any 302 ringer should be the right one. Finding a bracket will probably be harder.

I doubt you will find a stand alone 4 hole ringer plate. You MAY find a base only with one on it but that is also a rare item. Somebody will post the dates in which the 4 rivet base was produced, only the first year or two IIRC in the late 30's. You may have to use a newer base plate. The link I posted above looks very clean and the feet are good but it is from 1951.

poplar1

What is the date stamped on your baseplate?

Baseplate
With 4 holes for Ringer Mount   
        Flat                                             IV36 -- 11-37   Note: Cardboard pad under condenser
        1 boss for capacitor mount            11-37 -- 8-38
        Add 2nd boss for inverted ind. coil  9-38 --  3-39

Without holes for Ringer Mount
       2 bosses                                           3-39 -- 12-39
       Add 3rd boss for condenser                1-40 --  4-51*
With new steel ringer mount                     *6/52 -- 2/54*

Sonny had about 75 cracked 302 housings that I finally convinced him to get rid of (thanks, Bill C.)when he moved; so he still has some baseplates left with good ringer brackets. These don't have feet or other parts but they do have the ringer bracket and terminal block (K and GND). If you don't care about the year, then they are free; just pay postage.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tekuhn

The baseplate has "6 38", 101A induction coil "II 38", and 5H dial "II 38".

tekuhn

Do the ringers have date codes?

TelePlay

Yes, month/year on one of the coils. (see poplar1's dates below for variations).

poplar1

The earliest B1A ringers were not dated. Then, the dates were stamped in black ink on the ringer frame. However, by 6-38, they were stamped on top of the coil with the same color ink as on the baseplate.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11422.msg125729#msg125729

Ringer  B1A or B1AL                                          [Dates in brackets are for other nearby parts]

not dated                                             [4-37 set] -- [4-38]
                vermilion star, not dated                    [12-37] ; [4-38]
                "B1A" stamped in black on frame        [2-37]  ;  4-38
            date stamped in vermilion on ringer coil  6-38 -- 11-55

Ktownphoneco

This is the ringer mounting assembly your looking for, and which Poplar1 has put you on the right track to find.      The cardboard condenser pad he mentioned is missing from this picture.

Jeff Lamb

tekuhn

Great pictures and information - thank you all. Poplar1 - can you please let me know Sonny's username? I'd like to check and see what he has.

poplar1

sonnysvintagetelephones on ebay, but there is a lot not listed.

LarryInMichigan

I have a somewhat rusty 302 base with replacement round plastic feet dated 5-37 with the ringer mount in my junk collection.  Send me a message if you are interested.

Larry