News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Siemens Ringer / Bell Set ?

Started by Ktownphoneco, November 04, 2019, 11:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

Does anyone recognize this Siemens device ?  (see attached photo)    It almost looks like an extension bell set of some sort, and it appears to be sealed or semi sealed, either for weather protection, or for use in a hazardous location.     But I'm really guessing as to what it is and where it's used.    Thank you !

Jeff Lamb

countryman

The logo with the pentagon was used for very limited time in the Siemens & Halske history. The photo is somewhat blurry but it seems to be the letter H over the S?

I couldn't find the item in a 1939 Siemens catalogue on the quick, but maybe the link is of interest:
https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/article-hell-SH-Sammelliste-1939.pdf

Ktownphoneco

Thanks very much Countryman.     I appreciate the help.    I went through the 1939 Catalog your provided the link to, but unfortunately I couldn't find a match to the picture, but at least you've narrowed down the time frame within which the device was made.    There was an inquiry on one of the other telephone lists about it, but I believe CRPF has more members from the U/K, and Europe than most of the other North American list servers.      If anyone has more information, please let me know.   

Thanks again Countryman !

Jeff 

FABphones

I believe that logo may be military. It may be a bunker (radio) phone.

Two images attached of similar for comparison.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 04, 2019, 11:38:14 AM
Does anyone recognize this Siemens device ?  (see attached photo)

Is it an 'H' on an 'S'? The picture is too low resolution (or out of focus) to tell.

As has been said, it is most likely Siemens & Halske but there were other Siemens companies (and some other companies altogether) with very similar logos.

Jack

Ktownphoneco

Jack ....   Yes, it's an H over S, or vice versa symbol above the word Siemens, for Siemens Halske. 

Jeff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 04, 2019, 10:54:41 PM
Jack ....   Yes, it's an H over S, or vice versa symbol above the word Siemens, for Siemens Halske. 

Jeff

I don't know how you can tell Jeff - I know the common S&H symbol but this is too blurry to be sure.

Others:

Jack

FABphones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on November 05, 2019, 01:06:39 AM
I don't know how you can tell Jeff - I know the common S&H symbol but this is too blurry to be sure....
Jack

I see what you are saying, but we aren't just looking at the symbols within the shape, but also the surrounding shape which forms part of the logo/badge. The S H lettering design within does change for other of their logo/badge designs but often so does the form in which it is contained and which is a part of the design.

Even if the lettering is blurred (possibly damaged, it is an old piece of equipment) on Jeff's photo, we are most definately looking for a 'pentigon' style shape.

I have seen that same design actually photographed on other kit.
I'll take a look for it again and add a screenshot for comparison, if I can find it.

:)

ETA:

Siemens company history:
https://new.siemens.com/global/en/company/about/history/company/1919-1932.html

Jeff, how do the symbols on the image below compare?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on November 05, 2019, 02:58:56 AM
I see what you are saying, but we aren't just looking at the symbols within the shape, but also the surrounding shape which forms part of the logo/badge. The S H lettering design within does change for other of their logo/badge designs but often so does the form in which it is contained and which is a part of the design.

Even if the lettering is blurred (possibly damaged, it is an old piece of equipment) on Jeff's photo, we are most definately looking for a 'pentigon' style shape.

I have seen that same design actually photographed on other kit.
I'll take a look for it again and add a screenshot for comparison, if I can find it.

Not with you totally. You posted five different logos within the same shape - perhaps my aren't what they ought to be. If I  had to guess I would say the original is S&H but it is not clear enough to be definitive. It is all the other logos within the same shape that made it unclear to me.

Regards
Jack

Ktownphoneco

Jack, Countryman and Fabphones  .....    The original back ground of my request, comes from one of the other FB telephone sites.     The person making the request is associated with a museum in the Boston area and is or was, trying to identify the device pictured.     He was working from the picture I posted.   I don't know the source of the photo.    I've given him the information produced so far, by both Fabphones and Countryman.    I would want more and better quality pictures before digging any further on it.    The gentleman now has more information than he had before, and I would have to assume, that depending on how important the device or the information is to him, he himself can start researching the article he's dealing with.        But I am going to forward the additional information regarding the various logos, i.e., ...  S/H;  S/S;  S/R;  S/P;  S/B etc., etc.      Thanks All !!!

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Fabphones  ....  Thanks very much for the additional pictures and information.     I have forwarded the information to the gentleman who was requesting the information on FB.

Jeff

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on November 05, 2019, 09:25:17 AM
The person making the request is associated with a museum in the Boston area and is or was, trying to identify the device pictured.

If I knew what sort of camera the museum has, I would send a manual for it.

:)

Jack