News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Uploading Smart Phone images to the forum in non-landscape/horizontal view

Started by acolabrese, August 21, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acolabrese

I am not sure if this is just me, or if it's not possible to do. However I was wondering why upright/vertical images when uploaded to the forum seem to end up in landscape/horizontal view? Most of the images I take are with my dredged "smart phone." I was wondering if I'm not uploading images correctly, or if it will be possible to upload images in a format other than landscape/horizontal view in the future? I don't always think about taking pictures with the forum in mind. I would like to share more of my collection and restorations if I didn't have to retake images.

Just a question. Any help would be great.

Thanks as always.

???

DavePEI

Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 10:04:28 AM
I am not sure if this is just me, or if it's not possible to do. However I was wondering why upright/vertical images when uploaded to the forum seem to end up in landscape/horizontal view? Most of the images I take are with my dredged "smart phone." I was wondering if I'm not uploading images correctly, or if it will be possible to upload images in a format other than landscape/horizontal view in the future? I don't always think about taking pictures with the forum in mind. I would like to share more of my collection and restorations if I didn't have to retake images.

Thanks as always.

???
Most smart phones don't give the option whether to save in landscape or portrait mode. You need to save the photo on a computer, and flip it in a graphics program before uploading the photo.

That is how we re-orient photos people have uploaded flipped the wrong way - we download a copy from the server, flip it using graphics software, then re-upload it to the server. Then sideways photos will appear correctly.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

I take about every picture from a "smart phone'' and I think all you have to do is hold the phone is a landscape way. Thats what I do.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 21, 2013, 11:43:54 AM
I take about every picture from a "smart phone'' and I think all you have to do is hold the phone is a landscape way. Thats what I do.

Ben
Not with most smart phones. That is why we have to spend so much time re-orienting people's photos. Most phones save photos only in one mode or the other. You have no idea how many photos we have to flip as moderators.

The reason most smartphones don't do this is that with a smart phone, it is easy to turn your phone to view in the correct direction - but when you put the photo on a computer, you can't very well turn the monitor. It saves a lot of cost in on-phone image processing software.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Russ Kirk

That explains what happened to me.  Most of the time I use a digital camera and then transfer the photos.  But one time I used my iPad and I uploaded the photo to the posting. Only to discover the photo was upside down in the post.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

DavePEI

Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Thanks as always.

???

EG, taking one of your recent photos which displays as the following, here is the original, and the flipped version cropped and brightened.....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: DavePEI on August 21, 2013, 11:47:25 AM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 21, 2013, 11:43:54 AM

Ben
Not with most smart phones. That is why we have to spend so much time re-orienting people's photos. Most phones save photos only in one mode or the other. You have no idea how many photos we have to flip as moderators.

Dave
]

Oh really, oh well.

acolabrese

Wouldn't it just be easier to allow photos to be uploaded in both formats? It's possible on other websites, why not here. This flip method seems a bit involved when allow portrait and landscape modes would eliminate the need for images to be flipped by a moderator. Also, I uploaded pictures to the flea market/auction find, awhile ago and no one flipped the images. I know you can't get em all.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9854.0

It would seem easier to allow both formats. Perhaps this could be worked into an update to the forum.

acolabrese

Also.. What program can I even use to do this flipping? I have a mac and can't find any software that allows me to flip and crop. Not to mention, trying to crop an image within the correct size adds to the frustration.
I would like to engage the forum more, but I don't have time to spend buying software and then working on every single image just because the forum isn't current with how most photographs are taken today.
The classic camera uses landscape mode. The modern camera is typically a smart phone, using portrait mode as it's primary style. Everyone I know owns a classic digital camera, no one I know actually uses it anymore. Especially not when out and about shopping at flea markets. This is typically when I take an image. My first thought is never, "How will this upload to Classic Rotary Phones Forum." It's usually, "I'm going to text this to blah blah blah." They don't need me to flip and crop the image first for them to view it properly.
I love my classic phones, but even somethings can't be avoided like modernization. If the forum is looking to add younger generations to it's ranks, then it will need to update the site from time to time. My wife is convinced that no one other than me is under the age of 40 on this site. She's not even 30 herself. So, you can see why I'm making this point. My 14 year old nephew is into rotary phones now, but would skip over any site that doesn't allow him to upload an image on the fly. Because that's how long his attention span is now.

The extra steps required to upload images to this site is off putting. If you don't believe me, ask your kids.

DavePEI

Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 05:08:28 PM
Also.. What program can I even use to do this flipping? I have a mac and can't find any software that allows me to flip and crop. Not to mention, trying to crop an image within the correct size adds to the frustration.
I would like to engage the forum more, but I don't have time to spend buying software and then working on every single image just because the forum isn't current with how most photographs are taken today.
The classic camera uses landscape mode. The modern camera is typically a smart phone, using portrait mode as it's primary style. Everyone I know owns a classic digital camera, no one I know actually uses it anymore. Especially not when out and about shopping at flea markets. This is typically when I take an image. My first thought is never, "How will this upload to Classic Rotary Phones Forum." It's usually, "I'm going to text this to blah blah blah." They don't need me to flip and crop the image first for them to view it properly.
I love my classic phones, but even somethings can't be avoided like modernization. If the forum is looking to add younger generations to it's ranks, then it will need to update the site from time to time. My wife is convinced that no one other than me is under the age of 40 on this site. She's not even 30 herself. So, you can see why I'm making this point. My 14 year old nephew is into rotary phones now, but would skip over any site that doesn't allow him to upload an image on the fly. Because that's how long his attention span is now.

The extra steps required to upload images to this site is off putting. If you don't believe me, ask your kids.

First of all, it is NOT the fault of the forum this happens. Your smart phone does not have a quality camera in it. Smart phones have very low resolution cameras in them, and they save all images in the same format whether they are landscape of portrait. Don't believe me? View your SD card with a graphics viewer. ALL LANDSCAPE PHOTOS ON IT WILL VIEW SIDEWAYS. So, when you upload to the forum, you are uploading sideways photos. Period.

As I say, to correct this you need to download software designed to manipulate your photos. Yes there are free programs to do this for a MAC. The forum software here isn't unique to this site. The same software is used on thousands of sites. Perhaps, one day, it might include auto-detecting software that will detect image orientation. But now, it doesn't, and cannot do it. Dennis pays for the forum himself and cannot afford custom programming.

If taking the step of orienting your photos is too much for you, then you will have to put up with sideways photos, because I for one will no longer take the time to re-orient your photos.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

acolabrese

So my 8 megapixel smart phone camera is considered bad? You must have a serious SLR camera that makes a smart phone with 8 megapixels a real piece of trash. When I upload my shots to Nikon viewer, the crappy smart phone images appear... in portrait view.  :o

What a joke. Have fun flipping!

Technology is leaving you behind.

DavePEI

Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
So my 8 megapixel smart phone camera is considered bad? You must have a serious SLR camera that makes a smart phone with 8 megapixels a real piece of trash. When I upload my shots to Nikon viewer, the crappy smart phone images appear... in portrait view.  :o

No, my camera is 18 megapixel. Don't be ignorant with me. I am just stating the facts. If you aren't willing to take the time to flip your photos, you will just have to put up with having them show sideways. The fact that you are using the Nikon viewer explains why you are seeing them oriented correctly, but view them in any other viewer, you will see them as they are - sideways. Hold your phone sideways when you take your photos and they will appear correctly without any changes.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 05:08:28 PM

This is actually an operation for which the Mac these days is very user-friendly. You don't need any extra software. The Preview application is a rather nice image manipulation tool.  Just double-click on the image, and rotate it with Ctrl-R and Ctrl-L, or use the menu in the tool bar. Close the window and it saves automatically. While you're at it you might want to use the size tool and the color tool (see tool menu) to adjust the picture.

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on August 21, 2013, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
So my 8 megapixel smart phone camera is considered bad? You must have a serious SLR camera that makes a smart phone with 8 megapixels a real piece of trash. When I upload my shots to Nikon viewer, the crappy smart phone images appear... in portrait view.  :o

No, my camera is 18 megapixel. Don't be ignorant with me. I am just stating the facts. If you aren't willing to take the time to flip your photos, you will just have to put up with having them show sideways. The fact that you are using the Nikon viewer explains why you are seeing them oriented correctly, but view them in any other viewer, you will see them as they are - sideways. Hold your phone sideways when you take your photos and they will appear correctly without any changes.

Dave

The image size that a camera can capture has nothing to do with 'quality' per se. Almost any camera these days produces images of sufficient size.  Even the first digital cameras that I had almost 15 years ago, had sufficient size for forum display.
It is the optics and the CCD array where only the cheapest cell phones still lack.
Orientation may be handled differently from camera to camera, depending on software and image format applied.  Not all are capable of storing the orientation EXIF metadata that allows other software to automatically adjust to the correct orientation, so often it must be established by reading and rewriting the image. Whether this forum reads EXIF data, I doubt.