Main Menu

Uploading Smart Phone images to the forum in non-landscape/horizontal view

Started by acolabrese, August 21, 2013, 10:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on August 21, 2013, 06:59:12 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on August 21, 2013, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: acolabrese on August 21, 2013, 05:58:55 PM
So my 8 megapixel smart phone camera is considered bad? You must have a serious SLR camera that makes a smart phone with 8 megapixels a real piece of trash. When I upload my shots to Nikon viewer, the crappy smart phone images appear... in portrait view.  :o

What a joke. Have fun flipping!

Technology is leaving you behind.

No, my camera is 18 megapixel. Don't be ignorant with me. I am just stating the facts. If you aren't willing to take the time to flip your photos, you will just have to put up with having them show sideways. The fact that you are using the Nikon viewer explains why you are seeing them oriented correctly, but view them in any other viewer, you will see them as they are - sideways. Hold your phone sideways when you take your photos and they will appear correctly without any changes.

Dave

The image size that a camera can capture has nothing to do with 'quality' per se. Almost any camera these days produces images of sufficient size.  Even the first digital cameras that I had almost 15 years ago, had sufficient size for forum display.
It is the optics and the CCD array where only the cheapest cell phones still lack.
Orientation may be handled differently from camera to camera, depending on software and image format applied.  Not all are capable of storing the orientation EXIF metadata that allows other software to automatically adjust to the correct orientation, so often it must be established by reading and rewriting the image. Whether this forum reads EXIF data, I doubt.

Actually, I am not talking size of the photo - I am talking the effective megapixels of the CMOS sensor. Lower megapixels give lower resolution, higher give higher resolution no matter what the finished size of the photo. But, what makes the biggest difference is the quality of the lens. A plastic lens as you will find in most smart phones will never equal the quality of a larger glass lense.

Note the poorer quality of most cell phone pics such as those taken with an Apple  iPhone 4. They cannot equal the quality of an DSLR. However, even more important is the quality of the on-board software. Smartphones are not made primarily as cameras - they do not too bad a job at quick photos, but can't rival the quality of an DSLR or even most fixed lens cameras.

But this is aside from the point. Even with an DSLR, you need to properly orient the photo before uploading it. Every different brand uses EXIF data differently.Warning to cell phone users - if you have GPS enabled on your camera, it will give your exact GPS coordinates when you took the photo. There are patches available which will disable this in most phones.

At any rate, you should also preview a photo before uploading it, whether taken with a smart phone, or with a DSLR. You can then orient it correctly, and size it to 1000 pixels or under so it doesn't chew up all the available photo space on the server. It only takes a minute, and it really isn't too much to ask people to do. That way, the photo will display exactly as you would like to see it. It also will blow up to a good size if you click on the thumbnail without taking an exorbitant amount of disk space.

There is free software available for Windows, Macs, and yes, even Linux to do this chore. You just have to care enough to take the time to download and install it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Mr. Bones

My iPud (sic)5 takes some very large, high-res pics, because I set it to, upon issue from my employer.

I utilize a very ol' skool program, Paint Shop Pro 4.14., to crop, or at the least downsize to a respectful Forum level, in order to decrease the server bandwidth, and keep Mr Dennis able to provide us Phoneatics a happy home.

There are many, more modern, and free programs available; if anybody is interested, I'll post some here. I'm sure that other members will chime in with their recommendations, as well...

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

TelePlay

Quote from: Mr. Bones on August 21, 2013, 10:42:45 PMI utilize a very ol' skool program, Paint Shop Pro 4.14., to crop, or at the least downsize to a respectful Forum level, in order to decrease the server bandwidth, and keep Mr Dennis able to provide us Phoneatics a happy home. There are many, more modern, and free programs available; if anybody is interested, I'll post some here. I'm sure that other members will chime in with their recommendations, as well...

Mr. Bones: You piqued my curiosity. Ever hear of WebImage from Group 42 Software? I've been using it since I first started to program in HTML way back in 1995. Still use the software I downloaded back then even though it's still available in a newer version and it's still free and it's a quick and dirty way to do what you mentioned above.

twocvbloke

Most of my photos I take with my Galaxy S3 phone (which actually sets which way up I took the picture to how it is oriented when I come to take it off the phone, cos it is the smarter smartphone :D), and I always process them, a lot of which is cropping and resizing down to 1024x768 (with some occasional colour or brightness enhancement), mostly cos the phone takes pictures at 3264x2448 pixels and the files are often about 2-3MB in size, so I shove them through Paint Shop Pro 7 (ooh I feel so modern!! :D ), do the stuff, save and the filesize reduces massively while still retaining a good enough detail... :)

There's no excuse in the world for not processing your own digital photos, there's plenty of free image editors out there for all platforms(Windows, Linux mac, 'droid, ios, etc., dunno about blackberry though), even the preview thing in Windows can rotate pictures that are on their side, so it's easy to make pics look half-decent with about 2 minutes work before uploading them... :)