"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Latest Evaluation of Images that Upload Sideways

Started by TelePlay, October 19, 2017, 06:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: Haf on October 19, 2017, 06:15:50 PM
(and still don't know why some pictures flip over when uploaded them)

I think this is due to the way the forum software now processes images when looking for security issues.

I think you are taking photos with a smart phone which in the meta data places a rotate code for viewing the image.

When you upload the image, the forum software strips the meta data containing the rotation instructions off of the image file.

In the past, such an image would show up as a thumbnail sideways and then when clicking on the image to enlarge it, the software would read the embedded rotation code and display the enlarged image correctly

Since the rotation code is now gone, it enlarges as seen, sideways.

What you can try is to rotate your phone 90 degrees to take a few images and upload those. If I'm right, they will display correctly.

Give that a try and see if it cures your sideways photos.

TelePlay

Quote from: Haf on October 19, 2017, 06:15:50 PM
(and still don't know why some pictures flip over when uploaded them)

Yes, what I said in my last post if correct. I took a photo with my iPhone and the image showed sideways in the file folder. I check the EXIF data and found what I expected, an orientation instruction to rotate the thumbnail 90 degrees upon enlarging.

The first image below shows the upload EXIF rotation instruction.

The second image below shows the EXIF data of the image after uploading to the forum. The rotation instructions have been stripped out, actually, all of the EXIF data is gone leaving only the minimal JFIF file information.

Without the rotation instructions, the image will enlarge in the same orientation as the thumbnail.

I never run into this problem because I never upload photos directly from my phone. All my images go to my computer for rotating, cropping, resizing, saving and uploading the smaller file (largest side of the image not to exceed 2500 pixels). When uploading the image, both the thumbnail and the enlarged image show the same, the way I want them to be seen.

Haf

I checked myself. The picture was saved on my pc first before uploading it here.In the information given by windows  I can only see a part of all Exif data, but not orientation. I went to a page called http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi to get ful data and there, yes, orientation: Rotate 90 CW.
On my phone and on pc thumbnails and full picture are positioned right (now I know, because pc can read the Exif data somehow, but if, why it is shown correct?).

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

Quote from: Haf on October 20, 2017, 03:36:14 PM
I checked myself. The picture was saved on my pc first before uploading it here.In the information given by windows  I can only see a part of all Exif data, but not orientation. I went to a page called http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi to get ful data and there, yes, orientation: Rotate 90 CW.
On my phone and on pc thumbnails and full picture are positioned right (now I know, because pc can read the Exif data somehow).

Yes, that the site I use to view EXIF data.

Depending on how old or new your image processing software is, it may or may not retain the EXIF data. Adobe PhotoShop and PhotoShop Elements keeps all EXIF data and adds some of their own. MS Paint may or may not keep the data.

On the older PC that I am using right now, Paint, Photo Gallery and Photo Viewer didn't keep the EXIF data. I have a program on this machine called Roxio PhotoSuite 10 which not only kept the EXIF data but rotated the image when opening it in the software and then saved it without the rotation instruction so both the thumbnail and the enlarged image showed the same.

I guess uploading images in the correct orientation without rotation instructions would be best since the SMF software now deletes most of the EXIF data from every photo uploaded during the security checking process.

I'm using 5 different PCs of different ages so I have to know the limitations of each. I thought you were uploading directly from your phone because of the size (4,000+ x 3,000+). I tried to upload my test image of that size first transferred to my PC from my phone as taken but when trying to upload it, I was getting a buffer error out, the image was too large. Reducing the image 75% allowed me to upload it for testing. While Roxie kept the EXIF data when resizing the image but was stripped out upon upload.

Hope that all makes sense.

Haf

TelePlay,

understanding how telephones work, reading diagrams etc. is hard for me. But with help I can cope. I'm really interesed in, that's why.
Understanding the pc is extragalactic knowledge to me. I choosed my notebook only by color, I wanted a pink one. It's called hp pavilion something and bought it last year, System is Win 10. My phone..take a guess- yes it's pink.A Galaxy S7 edge.
I don't even bother with technical specifications I don't understand anyway. I'm able do what I want to do, but mostly can't explain why it works or how. My interests are far away from computers. Btw last PC (arcade) game ever played was pong and space invaders ...must have been late 1970s. Booooring, he he.

Haf

p.s. I maybe should mention that I studied philosophy and political science at university, natural science was always a book with 7 seals to me.

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

This topic was created by splitting off the image uploading discussion that took place within the Workshop Fire Suppression topic:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19069.msg195976#msg195976

This is a current evaluation of EXIF data and it's removal by the SMF security software when uploading an image to the forum.

This topic resolves the "uploads sideways" issue raised by Haf and should help anyone who experiences the same problem.