News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Large sized image uploading issues

Started by Babybearjs, January 04, 2019, 05:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I'm trying to upload a reply with a 4MB photo... the post stalls and I get a blank page. whats going on? is the picture too large, or is the board having issues?
John

Key2871

I've also had trouble from time to time. But I just wait a while and try again, and it usually works.

Ken
KEN

Babybearjs

I don't understand this nonsense... why does this happen? its only a single photo and still the system stalls... is it the software, or the web hosting? something is not getting through...
John

Babybearjs

:( only 3MB's? well that explains it! files too large... so much for sharing that!
John

Babybearjs

I'm posting pictures through facebook that won't fit here. they are posted in the "Bell Telephone of the US and Canada" forum.
John

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

If it was not that important, they why the fuss. You can also try to attach it by putting it into a zipped folder or print it as a PDF or resize the image using a software imaging program and attach it after doing one of those things those. 10 MB pdfs upload without problems.

The problem does not impact PDF or zipped files, only images which are easily downsized by reducing their pixel density or size or cropping out unneeded background. A 2,000 by 3,000 pixel image has more than enough resolution to see the finest details. This issue has been know for more than a year and a half and overcome by members wanting to, who take the time to post images.

If you do not have the ability or the capability to downsize a photo, send it to an email me using this email address:

telepay@att.net

I will make it so it loads and send it back to you. This applies to any member who does not know how to reduce the size of an image. Takes about 1 minute to download, resize and send the image back. Easy to do.

The problem is the security software reshuffles the image code and a 4 MB image 16 pixels deep is a lot of code to hold in the system buffers. Both the original image and the reshuffled image are held while processing and the reprocessed image is checked by security software code again for embedded malware, and if a string is found, reshuffles the code one more time. Once clean, the reshuffled image is posted to the forum and the original deleted.

Tjhe security patch was added to the SMF software because member were finding images rejected due to what appeared to be malware in the image code or the meta data attached by modern cameras. The SMF security patch strips the meta data off of an image and check for malware strings before attaching the image to a post. The price people pay for not having to use Batch Purifier Lite or other software to strip off meta data is making sure images are no larger than 3000 pixels on their largest side, about 3 MB total size.

I don't know the exact cut off point for size. It is between 3,000 and 4,000 pixels on the largest side. The total size is also affected by the complexity of the photo and the colors of the photo. If you want to make sure an image will upload, reduce its size to 3000 pixels on the largest side. That had never failed to upload for me and I post a lot of large pictures.

Digital camera images will not upload without cropping and/or resizing. No one has had a problem since this was discovered a year and a half ago and the resolution to the issue posted for all members to read, and in a topic that is easy to find in the board

How To Post Photos on CRPF

along with how to do it and other issue related to forum uploads. It's there for the reading so I am not going to spend any more time rehashing something that was discussed in great length less than 2 years ago. If you really want to share the image and if you need help, send the image to the email address above. I can fix the image in 1/100 of the time it took me to write this post.

Butch Harlow

I almost always take screenshots of my own photos and use the crop tool on my smartphone. I have my camera set to the highest possible resolution for quality and zoom ability. Hence the need to do that. You could reduce the resolution on your camera and not have to do this.
Butch Harlow

Babybearjs

;) OK, and I have now done that. changed the resolution from large: 10M to medium: 7.5M. aspect ratio: 1:1 and Quality: Standard. that should help, don't you think?
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 05, 2019, 04:44:01 AM
OK, and I have now done that. changed the resolution from large: 10M to medium: 7.5M. aspect ratio: 1:1 and Quality: Standard. that should help, don't you think?

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Sounds you did the same thing that Doug Rose did to solve the size problem

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.msg203470#msg203470

If the camera is set to take images that are in the 3,000-3,200 Kbyte size, they should upload directly. You can take a picture at the new setting, move it to your computer and look at the image and file size. If now in that range, they should upload.

compubit

Two tricks I use on iPhones (may also work on other phone devices):

1) View the picture full screen then screenshot it, and upload the screenshot (screenshot is a PNG file).
2) Send myself the picture as an email message.  When prompted, use a lower resolution photo, then upload the photo after you receive it in email.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on January 05, 2019, 09:04:02 AM
     GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Sounds you did the same thing that Doug Rose did to solve the size problem

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18551.msg203470#msg203470

If the camera is set to take images that are in the 3,000-3,200 Kbyte size, they should upload directly. You can take a picture at the new setting, move it to your computer and look at the image and file size. If now in that range, they should upload.

It worked like a champ. I never change it back.....pics are great at this resolution. As always....thanks John.....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

I sent John (Teleplay) a message a short time ago, that I had the exact same problem last night when I tried to upload a post.     I tried downsizing the 2 images, and the post still wouldn't upload, so started trying to figure out "why".      I use Firefox most of the time, and I have noticed ever since the last upgrade, which was a few weeks ago I think, Firefox has been acting really weird, like having to hit the search button twice to get Google to start searching, and having to hit the "X" icon at the top right twice to close a program, just weird stuff.      So I closed Firefox and opened Google Chrome and started the post over again, and it uploaded just fine.    I think Firefox has had so many attacks on it's web site that it's now gone a little overboard trying to prevent hackers from trying to disrupt it's web service.

Just thought I'd throw that out for what it's worth.

Jeff Lamb

Doug Rose

Firefox had an upgrade end of November. Now at work I have to use IE as a lot of Java apps are not recognized.

At home I have used Chrome for the past three years with no issues. I fell it is the best for Windows 10 which I have both at home and work.....Doug
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

I just switched over to Google Chrome as well.   I think your right Doug, it seems to work better with Windows 10.    Thanks.

Jeff