News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Posting Photos on CRPF

Started by DavePEI, February 20, 2013, 05:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

I tried to post these photos earlier today.  BTW, I probably should tell Dennis about this since one of the things the message mentioned was contacting the administrator.

TelePlay

Quote from: andre_janew on March 14, 2015, 07:32:29 PM
I recently tried to post photos of a Leich telephone I purchased on eBay.  I kept getting a message that the attachments didn't pass security clearance.  Really?  Seriously?  I'm not joking about this!

I had the same thing happen to me a day or two ago. I was trying to put up this reply

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13923.msg145621#msg145621 and attach a photo of the moss green 465.

When I posted it, I got the same reply. I took the image off and the text posted. I tried to add the photo and got the security reply again. I took the photo off and the save worked, but still no photo. I went back into the eBay listing and savied(copied) the photo once again. Opened the saved file in the same software I used to crop the photo the first time around, cropped it down and saved it over the existing file. I then added the attachment to my existing post and is loaded just fine.

All I can say of that is when I saved it the first time, something happened to the file which made it look like a security threat to the SMF software. Now I wish I would have saved it in a second file and kept the offending photo file for comparison. Saved them both as jpeg's, same size using the same software.

cchaven

I still get the security error message no matter what resolution or file size I make the images.  Yet, a moderator was able to move an image I had put up on flickr then posted the link so that the image was included with the message?  The same image that had refused to upload due to security reasons?  Has anyone figured out just what is happening here?

Thanks
Jeff

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: cchaven on May 10, 2015, 04:26:40 PM
Has anyone figured out just what is happening here?

Nope.

The Problem went away for a month or so and now it's back but less so in that it happens less, but it still happens. I could not link the issue to what was being uploaded other than something being uploaded. Even had the situation happen where I got the error and within a few seconds of getting the error, tried to upload the exact same image and it went through. I have been able to upload rejected images a few days later, same file but different day. On getting the error, I've made the image larger and they uploaded right away. I've made images smaller and they have uploaded right away. I've had images in which I've changed their size both ways rejected. But I have never had an auction contest spreadsheet rejected and those are Excel files printed as a pdf and then converted to a jpg using Adobe Photoshop Elements.

So, in five words, I don't have a clue, other than thinking it's a server/bandwidth issue over which we have no control.

andre_janew

I have found out that sometimes I can post photos without resizing them, sometimes I can't.  Smaller photos have a better chance of getting through than larger ones.  I don't understand the new system and I don't think anyone else does either.  All I know is that small photos have a better shot at getting posted.

unbeldi

Quote from: andre_janew on May 11, 2015, 08:19:43 PM
I have found out that sometimes I can post photos without resizing them, sometimes I can't.  Smaller photos have a better chance of getting through than larger ones.  I don't understand the new system and I don't think anyone else does either.  All I know is that small photos have a better shot at getting posted.

Well, the web system software is actually well understood.  I posted what the checks do exactly and proposed a permanent fix.
What is less understood is what kind of meta information is written by various software in cell phones, cameras, and computer applications, and at which times the information is not written or updated.  If my fix were applied, none of this would actually matter.

At least, I believe, we have already fixed one issue.  Since my fix for a memory increase in the image resizing operation was applied, I have not once had the white-screen-of-death problem, that was very common previously, when uploading certain images.  The image upload operations are much faster, when the 'security' issues are not encountered.

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on May 11, 2015, 08:26:52 PM

Well, the web system software is actually well understood.  I posted what the checks do exactly and proposed a permanent fix.
What is less understood is what kind of meta information is written by various software in cell phones, cameras, and computer applications, and at which times the information is not written or updated.  If my fix were applied, none of this would actually matter.
Now, it isn't the Meta information that is the issue. We have proven that over and over. When you can take images off a camera, resize it down to 1000x640 as I have done many times in Photoshop (which strips out the Meta tags) and use multiple cameras or scanners as a source, and have it fail upload, then the tag of the camera or source isn't the fault.

Blaming Meta tags from the software for failure to upload? Well, Ok, when you can take the image then using the same software and change it to a larger or smaller size, and have it upload just fine, that eliminates its being software Meta tags. Especially when you can take the original unmodified image two hours later and it uploads without a hitch, as we have all had happen. Teleplay has also verified this.

So, what we are looking at is something either in the Forum software or something on the server,  or server load, or a combination of both. When you can take the original image later and have it upload just fine with no modifications, this definitely points towards this, and not Meta information.

Things we need to be looking at: Server Load at the time of failed uploads, other software and TSRs running on the server at the time of failed uploads, network load at the time of failed uploads, etc. DO a RAM check on the server to ensure it doesn't have flaky RAM, ec.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on May 12, 2015, 06:20:08 AM

Now, it isn't the Meta information that is the issue. We have proven that over and over. When you can take images off a camera, resize it down to 1000x640 as I have done many times in Photoshop (which strips out the Meta tags) and use multiple cameras or scanners as a source, and have it fail upload, then the tag of the camera or source isn't the fault.

Blaming Meta tags from the software for failure to upload? Well, Ok, when you can take the image then using the same software and change it to a larger or smaller size, and have it upload just fine, that eliminates its being software Meta tags. Especially when you can take the original unmodified image two hours later and it uploads without a hitch, as we have all had happen. Teleplay has also verified this.

So, what we are looking at is something either in the Forum software or something on the server,  or server load, or a combination of both. When you can take the original image later and have it upload just fine with no modifications, this definitely points towards this, and not Meta information.

Things we need to be looking at: Server Load at the time of failed uploads, other software and TSRs running on the server at the time of failed uploads, network load at the time of failed uploads, etc. DO a RAM check on the server to ensure it doesn't have flaky RAM, ec.

Dave

Sorry, but that is incorrect.
I have even written a little test program that you can run on your computer, that tests which images will fail (do not pass the security check) and which don't.
I think I posted it here somewhere, and it used a fragment of the same code that the web server side uses for this test.

DavePEI

Quote from: unbeldi on May 12, 2015, 09:11:39 AM

Dave

I have even written a little test program that you can run on your computer, that tests which images will fail (do not pass the security check) and which don't.
I think I posted it here somewhere, and it used a fragment of the same code that the web server side uses for this test.
Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. I am not a newbie to computers, graphics, photography, or to web design. In fact I have been doing web design since 1991. So I remain convinced that it is not the Meta tag information, and believe with the many tests I have done that it isn't meta information that is the problem.
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on May 12, 2015, 09:44:04 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on May 12, 2015, 09:11:39 AM

Dave

Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree. I am not a newbie to computers, graphics, photography, or to web design. In fact I have been doing web design since 1990. So I remain convinced that it is not the Meta tag information, and believe with the many tests I have done that it isn't meta information that is the problem.

Well, then you have to demonstrate your opinion.  I have proven my findings and software doesn't lie. The code is unambiguous.
It really isn't a matter of opinion anymore.

[PS: the web didn't exist in 1990 and virtually no-one knew about it until 1992.]

WEBellSystemChristian

It seems that we have a pretty big divide here as to what the problem is. I can see this discussion heading in a bad direction...

Since both of you completely lost me at the word "Meta", it won't help many of us understand what you're discussing. If you have a disagreement about the solution, can you each just each explain (in simple terms, please) what you think the solution is?

Please leave arguments like this in PMs; not that there's anything wrong with it at the moment, it's just that the rest of those who actually have a photo-posting issue don't want to see what's going to happen if we keep this two-way disagreement going.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

DavePEI

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 12, 2015, 09:58:47 AM
It seems that we have a pretty big divide here as to what the problem is. I can see this discussion heading in a bad direction...

Since both of you completely lost me at the word "Meta", it won't help many of us understand what you're discussing. If you have a disagreement about the solution, can you each just each explain (in simple terms, please) what you think the solution is?

Please leave arguments like this in PMs; not that there's anything wrong with it at the moment, it's just that the rest of those who actually have a photo-posting issue don't want to see what's going to happen if we keep this two-way disagreement going.
The main point is for the time being, none of us do have a solution. We need to keep gathering data, and not discounting any suggestions, and hopefully we eventually will find a true and permanent solution.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

unbeldi

Quote from: DavePEI on May 12, 2015, 10:13:08 AM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 12, 2015, 09:58:47 AM

The main point is for the time being, none of us do have a solution. We need to keep gathering data, and not discounting any suggestions, and hopefully we eventually will find a true and permanent solution.

Dave

I have provided an exact solution and tested it on my forum installation.

Please run this test on your computer on the images that fail to upload because of "security" violations:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14064.msg146942#msg146942

dsk

Tried to post pictures re-sized to max length/with (the greatest side) to 1000PX 45 PX/inch.
Works, but is it permanent or just luck????

dsk