"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hints For Taking Photos For CRPF Postings

Started by DavePEI, March 14, 2013, 01:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on April 06, 2013, 08:05:02 AM
This just came up on eBay. It's a good example of how not to use back lighting, the need for a tripod, a good example of how to use a background color not the same as the item and the need to purchase or make a light tent of some sort to diffuse the light.

Was rushing to take a photo of a 302 ringer mount today so free handed it in existing light, no flash. When I brought up the photo for processing, I ran for my tripod.

The image on the left was free handed, the one on the right using a tripod. The image on the left may not look bad in thumbnail size but if you click on the image and enlarge it, you will see the hand held motion blur. Goes away with a tripod and the camera set on timer mode.

They are a bit of a pain to set up and put away but the quality of the photos in existing or low light situations is very noticeable. I even lost some available light while getting the tripod and setting it up, the right image is a bit darker.

Posted here to support my hint posted some time ago.

FABphones

I came across this old but excellent thread and thought I'd add this inexpensive LED Light Ring which was recently brought to my attention. Lots of uses and great for close ups on smaller 'busier' items to see detail with little to no shadow.

The light ring is LED, dimmable, with three colour selections; white, white yellow, warm white (descriptions vary according to seller).

Below is the version I choose. 10" inner diameter. They are available in smaller and larger diameters and sold with several different versions of tripod. I selected this flexible stand, which can get quite close and low if required, to the item being photographed. This version also came with a camera holder which attaches to the stand.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

19and41

I get Email sale notices from this firm and they offer folding lighted photo stages and a turntable to use in them.  They have a discount when you sign up for sales Emails.

https://www.sciplus.com/portable-illuminated-large-photo-studio-64741-p
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke