News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Old dial tone

Started by Phonesrfun, May 09, 2010, 04:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

Glad you woke this thread up...I enjoyed hearing these old tones....I'm old enough to remember the sounds!...Very cool!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Weco355aman

All of the phone numbers that i have listed should still work.
I forgot about putting this up on CRPF.
Here is a link to a YouTube video of the switch that some of the numbers work thru.

https://youtu.be/_VO7MWFI9SU
Photo's at  www.stepswitch.us

Also if a person want's to hear LOT"s of tones, call set up and ringing tone go to
www.evan-doorbell.com
Then go to production tapes. About 100 hours of recording's.
Very addicting.
Phil
Phil

Pourme

~

Weco355aman

looked at the switching equipment earlier, once again I enjoyed your tour. The telephone collection is notable in it's own right as well.

My Mother N Law, now retired, worked as a operator for 30+ years. In Hickory NC, she worked for Central Telephone which became Cent'el. It has been bought out several times since. She and many others worked in close proximity to the switching equipment. Everyone, without exception, still living, that we know in our community that worked in the same room with the equipment, has suffered rather severe hearing loss. From your video the equipment when in full song seams to be loud. What is the db rating of this equipment when in operation? I realize these days this exposure to loud machines would not be allowed. This equipment would be properly isolated.

Do others that read this know of telephone employees that suffer similar loss of hearing?

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

CanadianGuy

I've done a bunch of reading and listening over the past decade or so that I've been a contractor for my local incumbent telco. I always farted around with the phone where I grew up. At one point, I had my own line in my bedroom (mid-90s) and had a dual line phone set so I could answer the main line. I figured out if I held down both lines, I could hear both dialtones (intentionally crossing the lines haha) Sometimes I'd play a little trick on someone and cross the lines for a second to make it sound like I hung up on them. Yeah, I'm weird that way.

Anyway, doing installations and repairs, I've crossed paths with many long-term employees or retirees of the phone company. I'm pretty sure some have mentioned how loud it was, especially during peak calling times. I absolutely love finding Central office videos on YouTube.

For anyone interested, Evan Doorbell (his phone phreak nickname) also posts and narrates his tapes on Soundcloud. He even narrated the audiobook version of Exploding The Phone by Phil Lapsley.

AE_Collector

I would sure like the chance to go back in time to hear and see it again. BC was full of mainly SxS. We only had a couple of NEVo #5 Xbar CO switches, a couple of NECo SP1 Crossbar CO's and the big NECo 4A Crossbar Toll Switch in downtown Vancouver. Fortunately I got to work in itvall as a CO Equipmentbinstaller but mainly in AE SxS.

It all was noisy! SxS was mainly clatter. Crossbar sounded much more interesting in action. It wasn't so noisy that it was annoying or stressful. I've heard lots of stories of CO guys missing the noise in retirement.

Terry